No Other Choice ( JA, Obi, Qui, angst, h/c) - Promise kept, updated (1-30-03)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Antigone, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I might have an idea, but not sure if I want to say it here since I was soooo far off the mark at RRK's. ;)
  2. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    WOW!!!

Obi could be on drugs but he could also be bulimic....i doubt it though.

Post soon Antigone!!!
  3. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanx everyone who's sticking with me on this, hope you enjoy the next chapter!

?Padawan, now, are you sure you?re alright??

Obi-Wan let out an exasperated sigh as he heard ? again ? what had come to be his master?s new, favorite question. ?Yes, Master, I?m as fine as I was when you asked five minutes ago. And the seven other times you?ve asked me that since I woke up. I?ve been fine for three days.?

Qui-Gon smiled, ?I?m sorry, Padawan. It?s just that I don?t fancy sorting out a diplomatic way to apologize to a tribal chief were you to, err?*christen* them.?

?Master, it?s not funny!? Obi-Wan mock glared at the man sitting in the pilot?s chair beside him, a smile playing on his lips belying the harshness the look implied.

?Oh, but it is. From now on, I think that you will be packaging your own meals when we travel.?

A buzz from the comlink stayed Obi-Wan?s sharp, yet good natured reply. Qui-Gon pushed the button opening the communication channel and spoke, ?Yes??

?Master Jedi, we are prepared for your landing at terminal eight.?

?Thank you,? the Jedi master replied before closing the connection and sitting back in his seat, allowing the auto pilot to guide the ship farther into the planet?s atmosphere.

?Welcome, most honored Jedi,? greeted the apparent leader of a small group of three foot tall miniatures of the common humanoid. The entire group, about seven or eight, was dressed in rather extravagant robes of brilliant, deep colors. Gold satin, impeccably embroidered, lined the edges while patches of a material the Jedi did not recognize, woven into the material, gave the garment an ethereal glow.

?I,? continued the leader, a being dressed in a deep blue with midnight black hair, almost all tucked under a square shaped blue hat, and eyes to the shade of azure, ?am Chief Samaron of the Melites and these,? he gestured to the ensemble behind him, ?are my trusty lap fargots.?

There was a small murmur of obedient laughter though his followers as he went through the introductions.

?And, honorable Master Jinn, I assume you remember Ambassador Arinik??

Qui-Gon nodded and bent down to whisper in his padawan?s ear, ?Be wary of that one; he bites.? A mental picture of Mace Windu after an unfortunate encounter with Arinik and it was all Obi-Wan could do to suppress what would have surely been considered deeply disrespectful laughter.

As soon as he was through with the formalities, the chief commented on the chill of the air ? they had been standing on the landing platform, though to the Jedi the temperature was quite comfortable ? and suggested that they all go inside the palace.

The chief entered the structure first, gently, but hurriedly removing the hat from his head and handing it off to the closest attendant, while the Jedi entered next, and the advisors brought up the rear.

Running a stubby hand through his thick hair, the chief fell back to be next to Qui-Gon, craning his neck at the man?s height, ?Honorable Jedi, you must be exhausted from your traveling. Coruscant and Xaron are not exactly neighbor, no? Customarily, business is handled ? at least started ? before rest is taken, but the business you have come here on will, unfortunately, not be addressed for at least five standard days.?

The chief turned a corner, Qui-Gon following next to him and Obi-Wan two steps behind and one to the side. The elder Jedi looked down to his host, ?May I ask why it is postponed so long??

Samaron snorted, ?It is not I who wish to delay it, Master Jedi. If it were entirely up to me, you would be gone by the sunset of the fifth day, but, much to my dismay, it is not. My ? counterpart ? Chief Polusti of the Nirano tribe seems to have a different agenda. My time is apparently not as valuable as his, and one of his lesser notified me this morning that their leader would not be arriving for five days ? at the least.? The chief?s voice had slowly risen in volume and pitch, his steps had slowed, and his hands, now clenched, were shaking in anger
  4. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    So Obi-Wan is feeling guilty about trying to rationalize his dependence on ________? Fill in the blank...PLEASE
  5. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
  6. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *kicks Qui* Stop guilt tripping Obi!!

MORE!!
  7. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Now look, Antigone - I'm as big a fan of suspense as anybody - but we need some major hints here. Maybe it IS drugs - as some have guessed here - but, if so, he doesn't seem to be getting much of a buzz out of it. I mean, isn't that the general purpose of substance abuse - to feel good? In his case - it doesn't appear to be working.

Besides, why would Obi need mood-altering drugs? I'm thinking there's more here than meets the eye; something maybe that has to do with enhancing his skills or Force abilities - or something.

Post soon please. The suspense is killing me. :D
  8. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmmmm, well, I guess I can tell you now what's going on - he's...pregnant. LoL, j/k, but that is what a few people think, ::shakes head:: my Obi? Pregnant?? pshaw!

While you won't get a definitive answer to what's wrong with him very soon, you will be getting things to rule out other speculations...starting Friday or Saturday, in fact. A couple of you are on the right track...
  9. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Cyn I was actually thinking of something along the same lines as you. Only instead of force enhacement, I was thinking about memory or intelligence enhancement.
  10. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey all, sorry for the incredible delay in posting?RL is a bitch?But here it is! Little bit more happening?I?m thinking 5 or 6 more posts before you find out what exactly is going on?this hasn?t been beta?d, I?ll go over it again later?don?t think it?s too bad though =) Enjoy!

See chapter 1 for info?

?And so, I told her, ?My beautiful wife, I suggest you hold your tongue if you desire to have one to use tomorrow.? The very fact that she asked *once* to see her mother was appalling, but *twice*?Soon there will be one less woman to feed ? one which was incapable of performing a simple 12 hour work day, nonetheless ? and Paraka wants to waste three days to *visit* her.?

Murmurs of sympathy echoed in the spacious dining chamber, bouncing off the polished crystal walls and columns, the deep green tapestries which hung from the beamed ceiling absorbing little of the sound ? at least not enough to soothe the headache raging in Obi-Wan?s skull. Every Melite who circled the crystal table ? including the offending wife, Paraka ? offered consoling words until the chief?s whim was satisfied and the man returned to his dinner.

Obi-Wan was grateful for the silence which followed. As long as Samaron was silent, no one dare speak and Obi-Wan could grasp a small morsel of relief. For seven days, the routine had been the same; the Jedi were allowed to do whatever they pleased during the day, but for the evening meal, they were required to sit with the chief and his thirty-some advisors ? and their wives. With all so intent on pleasing their leader through extravagant verbal praise, it was a wonder that Obi-Wan had not suffered from a throbbing migraine days before.

Leaning forward and resting his elbows on the gleaming table surface, Obi-Wan sighed, closed his eyes, and rubbed his temples. He tried to release some of the tension into the Force, but, as with his other attempts that day, he failed miserably.

He sighed again, opened his eyes, and leaned back, resting against the back of his chair. The chief was going on about something again, but Obi-Wan, quite honestly, could not care less. It was probably just another story degrading to women, or to the commoners, or to the advisors sitting around him ? maybe even all three. He had done it before.

Obi-Wan allowed his mind to drift so far from the present that the gentle, questioning touch on his wrist started his body and momentarily intensified the pain tenfold. Squeezing his eyes shut, he waited out the pain before opening them and turning to the one next to him. Concerned blue eyes met his, silently asking if the pain was worse ? if he wanted to leave.

Obi-Wan gave a wan smile to his master and gingerly shook his head. He was a Jedi; he must be able to push past the pain, to carry out his duty. How would he be able to do it in battle if he could not last through a simple, yet tediously long meal?

Qui-Gon had noticed the change in his padawan?s behavior; eyes lingering closed for a second longer than normal, a hand drifting up to discretely rub a temple. The Jedi master had confronted his apprentice and ? only after a considerable amount of denial from Obi-Wan ? confirmed that his padawan was in pain. Obi-Wan?s shields were maintained so tightly that Qui-Gon could not get an accurate reading on exactly how much pain the boy was in, so he was forced to accept Obi-Wan?s refusal of aid in releasing the pain into the Force, but he did give his padawan a small hypospray of painkiller ? painkiller which Obi-Wan used as soon as his master wasn?t looking. It helped, but not nearly as much as he had hoped it would.

Well, Obi-Wan thought, at least I have an excuse tonight for not being hungry.

The padawan, because he could not release the pain, began to concentrate his effort on getting his mind off it. He had not been at it long when something took his thoughts from his headache ? only, he wished that it hadn?t.

A sharp pain pierced the side of his abdomen, digging deep and quickly spreading through his body,
  11. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    That was great, Antigone . Very entertaining. :) But when is Qui going to realize that something is dreadfully wrong with Obi-Wan?
  12. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
  13. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    VERY good chapter, Antigone! :)

I hope that you'll post a little sooner this time, though. ;) I was in half as much pain as Obi is waiting here.

Patience is no virtue!
  14. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Look here, Antigone - there is no bigger Qui-Gon basher on this or any other planet than me - but he needs to sniff hard to smell the coffee.

And I still don't think we're talking a drug addiction here; Obi is entirely too concerned for his Master's feelings and well-being to be a simple substance-abuser.

Post soon. PLEEEEEEZE.

I'll trade ya. I've got one almost ready - so you do the same. OK?
  15. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Great post!!!

more soon please!!

~*~Arwen Jade~*~
  16. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not sure Qui-Gon is really being that blind as to his padawadn's condition. Obi-Wan sure seems to have the ability to hide things from his master.

But I want answers! Sorry- terrible impatient today. :)
  17. Lyla Jedi Padawan

Oh My! I'm really enjoying this story...but I think my head might explode if I don't find out what is wrong with poor Obi-Wan soon. =)
  18. BlueJedi Jedi Master

star 1
  19. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have two words running through my mind that absolutely refuse to go away: performance enhancement.

And I'm picturing our Obi - standing beside his Master - and looking up - and up - and up - and hearing a little voice in his head screaming, "If you stay a shrimp forever, you'll never be a Jedi!"

Can anyone say 'steroids'?

OK, Antigone, now just come in and blow me completely away with how wrong I am. :D

But do it soon - OK?
  20. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm glad that everyone is enjoying it!

Cascadia - But when is Qui going to realize that something is dreadfully wrong with Obi-Wan?

Qui will find out in, I think four more chapters...from my estimations, but i'm just flying blind here, so...but we can't have him finding out TOO soon, right? [face_devil]

Cyn - I'll trade ya. I've got one almost ready - so you do the same. OK?

Hmmm, I suppose I have to get one out soon, huh? I had an UF fest last night...apparently, I have an inability of finding the fic when you update and was virtually cursing my computer for some time...and when I did find the update, I went to the last chapter and discovered that I had no clue what was going on. Somehow, even though I have been checking for it, I missed it - twice! Oh, well, I was triple happy...

PadawanKitara - But I want answers! Sorry- terrible impatient today.

You'll get them...the chapter after Qui does :D

LoL, Cyn, interesting mental image. Our dear Obi seem to be pegged as the insecure type and it's no different here...

I am going to work on the next chapter tonight and I hope to get it up either later or tomorrow, going for later though. While I won't say what's going on, I will say this; person/people have gotten it (or come quite close) but then, the fics up in a few places...
  21. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is only part of the chapter, but I figured that I'd post some now, and hopefully finish the rest tonight...

?Did you really think that I would believe you? Do you have any idea how long I?ve been waiting? You said five days, it?s been twelve!? Samaron screamed as he paced in the spacious sitting room, brilliant red robes swishing against his polished brown boots. Each step faster, each drawing the chief nearer to a full blown temper tantrum ? one of the many annoyingly childish actions Obi-Wan was sure the small being was capable of ? the flailing of the man?s arms simply lending more credence to the padawan?s thought. ?Is it your custom, your *highness,* to keep more than hospitable men guessing as to when you will grace them with your presence??

?Samaron,? a man dressed in rich, deep purple robes, embroidered in silver, spoke, ignoring the sharp glare he received for his omition of the other?s title, ?I have already told you what happened. My ship?s hyperdrive overheated and we were forced to take the time to fix it. It was more damaged than I initially thought and the power needed to repair it was taken from the nonessential operating systems ? namely, the comm.? The man?s voice was decidedly annoyed, but carried with it little of the contempt his counterpart?s had, ?Despite what you wish to believe, I was not indulging in pleasure slaves for the past two standard weeks.?

?And what would you call *that,* Polusti?? Samaron?s sharp gaze locked on a member entourage, standing closely behind their master ? the only female in the group. The woman was quite attractive, young, but in pleasure slaves that would be of no object. She wore the finest garments; emerald green robes, impeccably woven and fitted to be both tasteful and flattering. Her dark hair was pulled up into an intricatively woven bun adorned with green jewels ? she must be quite the performer to receive such gifts, Obi-Wan thought wryly.

Polusti motioned for the girl to stand next to him and she immediately obeyed. Placing a gentle hand on the young woman?s shoulder, Polusti answered, ?I would call *that* Nariba...my daughter?

?It is a pleasure to meet you, my Uncle,? Nariba spoke softly.

Obi-Wan exchanged a look of surprise with his master. The two Jedi had been standing off the side quietly observing the interactions, but always ready to jump in should the palpable tensions escalate to something of a more harmful nature. However, they had not expected this turn of events.

Samaron was Nariba?s uncle?

The girl bowed formally, her eyes down, preventing her from observing the look of pure contempt settling on Samaron?s features. Nariba did not see it, but her father did.

?I think that we are done, for now, Samaron. If you don?t mind, I would like to be shown my quarters.? Polusti wrapped a protective arm tightly around his daughter as the girl erected herself. The two leader?s glares, equal in their coldness, did not unlock until Polusti turned to leave.
  22. Lyla Jedi Padawan

hmmmm.... very interesting. I can't wait for more!
  23. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  24. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Brothers? Nothing takes hatred quite to the same level as family squables.
  25. Lyla Jedi Padawan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.