main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC No Petrol Day...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Got this in an email today.....might work, might not, but hey, worth a try...

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN AUSTRALIA DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF PETROL FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 22nd HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR ASSS" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF PETROL THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF PETROL GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING SUPPLIES MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE SEPTEMBER 22nd A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF AUSTRALIA SAYS "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm all for passive resistence... it's a pity I don't own a car/buy petrol.

I'll tell my folks about it.

3. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

This smacks of blatant White Australia hick racism.

OPEC controls global output and has been trying hard to keep up with the growing demand despite massive setbacks in supply, and can only ship so much crude at a time. They've been continually upping production, and are in no way run by "Arab Nations", in fact, at the rate the US are privatising the soverign oil fields of other nations, they'll for all intents and purposes be OPEC within a few years.

The second most effective way to control petrol prices would be for the government to freeze or reduce the excise, although this will greatly cut into their cash reserves and capacity to invest infrastructure and services. Howard (this comment will taste like ash) is quite right in refusing to touch the excise as it stands.

The MOST effective way is to ease demand on petrol: this also has the benefit of helping soothe your hip pocket nerve that is ardently inflamed.

So simply put, next time you go for the keys, ask "Do I need to drive? Can I do what I'm doing by walking or public transport? Can I do something else entirely?"

This may not be practical for our truckies, but try and think of all the times you could of walked down to grab the milk or paper but drove instead. Consider all the times instead of sitting down to talk with your housemates or family you went down to hire out a dvd.

Think of all the little times you could of been NOT using expensive fuel, and could of instead been bringing the price down by easing supply? (And as much as it might hurt you, you'd also be doing the environment one hell of a favour. But don't worry, I know Australians hate doing this, so I've consigned this thought to brackets)

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I agree with the esteemed alcoholic on this issue. One thread on this is probably enough, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.