main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No plan to transport Palps

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by voodoopuuduu, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    When Anakin and Obi-Wan go to rescue Palps, how exactly did they plan to take him back to Coruscant ? They were flying single seat fighters. This similar to when the council told Obi-Wan to bring Jango back to the temple for questioning. He was also flying a single seat fighter at the time. It seems the Jedi never take into account the practical aspects for any plan they have. Their planning seems haphazard at best. Thoughts ?

2. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Maybe they figured all along they would just take over The Invisible Hand,
    and take him home in that.... along with any prisoners.

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    There wasn't really a whole lot of options available. The only way they were getting into the "Invisible Hand" was pretty much how they did it, with small one-man fighters. Their main objective was to rescue the Chancellor. In this case removing the threat of Dooku and Grevious was most important to the objective. Then once the "Invisible Hand" was under their control, another Republic ship could get them off, or they could land it on Coruscant and take the prisoners into custody. They weren't expecting the ship to rip in half and crash land on Coruscant, but even so they still accomplished their goal.

4. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Then once the "Invisible Hand" was under their control, another Republic ship could get them off, or they could land it on Coruscant and take the prisoners into custody.

But it was a Republic ship that shot the Invisible Hand in two. :D Good plan. :p

5. PowerUnlimitedPower

PowerUnlimitedPower Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    Of course there were other options RS77. what about Arc Fighter? it's three seater. the Landing bay they crashed into was Huge there was room for one of those ships . easily. . it's simply a continuity error. Lucas wrote the story with them crash landing on the ship, so it never occured to him that the ships they would be flying would not be appropriate.because they were always gonna crash land. it was done the way it was for Drama and action. a more real world explanation would be that they would take over the bridge , as they did. or grab a Escape pod which Grievous eliminated the chance of getting.

PowerUnlimitedPower ;)

6. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    The hangar was huge, but it was extremely difficult for Anakin and Obi-Wan to get their little ships close enough to be able to shoot out the shields, and sneak inside before the doors closed. And Anakin is said to be the greatest pilot in the Galaxy. It does seem like a bit of a haphazard plan, but remember that Anakin and Obi-Wan were in the Outer Rim upon hearing of the battle, and rushed back to Coruscant only to immediately go after the Chancellor. There doesn't seem to have been any sort of committee discussion about how best to rescue Palps. Is it sloppy? Sure, but there really weren't a ton of options, especially ones that would be exciting for us to watch. :p

7. Pumpkin_King

Pumpkin_King Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    I think the way Jedi operate is to throw themselves into the thick of things with the knowledge that a solution will eventually reveal itself. They would find the Chancellor, take on whatever they found there, rescue him and find a way back...

Of course I have no idea how that Rebel Snowspeeder pilot expected to bring both Han and Luke back to Echo Base in his two seater fighter either.

8. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    I've got this one:

The pilot who found them alerted the base. He had their coordinates. They probably sent another one of the patrol speeders who went out to pick up Han as well (Luke was wounded and was most likely a priority).

Ah, but you retort that only ONE speeder is seen coming in? My guess- it only had Luke in it. Han wasn't horribly wounded.

:-B

9. Carnotaur3

Carnotaur3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 2004
    I think they pretty much figured the Invisible Hand would have emergency pods (which they did).

But when all of a sudden... everyone took those pods...

10. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Well... there is that thread about Palps being "in love" with Anakin. Maybe he was looking forward to a ride back to Coruscant in close quarters [face_whistling]

11. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    yeah, i say they prolly felt they could get an escape pod. beside they're jedi. they let the force guide them.

12. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Well... there is that thread about Palps being "in love" with Anakin. Maybe he was looking forward to a ride back to Coruscant in close quarters

Heh, maybe the same with Jango and Obi-Wan ?? :p

13. Pumpkin_King

Pumpkin_King Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003

Nah! Obi-wan was just confident enough to figure he'd soundly beat Jango then take him back to Coruscant in the bounty hunter's own ship.

14. PowerUnlimitedPower

Jan 10, 2006
    well the best excuse is what i said in my first post. they would have used escape pods . but Grievous blew that.

15. dont_be_a_vaderhater

dont_be_a_vaderhater Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Grievous blew what?

16. PowerUnlimitedPower

Jan 10, 2006
    the e-s-c-a-p-e pods.

17. dont_be_a_vaderhater

dont_be_a_vaderhater Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
  18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Anakin: "Let's see if there's anything left in the hangar still flyable."

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

With the IH being a capital ship with a large hanger and Sentients on board, they probably figured they may get to take one of those back. With the hanger mostly empty, that plan was scrapped for a more "Entertaining" rescue.

Carnage

20. Dark_Lord_Jax

Dark_Lord_Jax Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    The novelisation said they dropped from hyperspace and immediately set course for the Invisible Hand. It also said they planned to take one of the shuttles on board. It actually has them returning to the hangar only to find burning wreckages.

And IMHO the snowspeeders were only locating Luke and Han, then relaying their position to Echo Base so they could be picked up later by ships more suited for that.

21. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Well, its not like they didn't put the effort into explaining why they had to end up piloting the Invisible Hand.
    Droids fiddling with their fighters, getting caught in a ray-shield on the way back to the hangar bay, Grievous firing all the pods, etc.

Speaking in terms of symbolism, I think there is significance in how the hangar-bay door SLAMS shut as they enter. It almost implies that they should never have been there in the first place.

22. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    I don't know about Palps but when Obi Wan went to Makino he had no idea what he would find and didn't relise until he had landed on his one seater fighter that he needed to bring back a prisoner.

EDIT: Whoops, spelt "Kamino" with the "K" and the "M" the wrong way round, but I'll leave it cuz it looks funny :cool:

23. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    They probably planned on using an escape pod, but of course Grievous launched all four of them on the entire ship so Anakin was forced to land the Invisible Hand.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the film, Obi-wan tells Anakin that they should see what's left of the ships in the hangar. Maybe something would be undamaged and they could fly off.

In TESB, Wedge probably came and he and Zev got Luke and Han back to Echo Base.

In AOTC, Obi-wan would probably pilot Slave I back to Courscant or call for a transport.

25. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    perhaps the original plan was to use escape pods? but then when Grievous took the last one, they had to improvise.

Edit: sorry, redundent. I should read through the entire thread more often than I do [face_beatup]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.