main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No ray park or maul?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Sitara, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

Say, tpm has put up a link to pics from the latest (starwars) issue of vanity fair; the shoot opens up with a pic of nearly everyone from the movies.

Mcgregor, lucas, hamilton, fisher, ford, LIAM NEESON, everyone is in the pic including chewbacca and the droids, plus vader, christopher lee and ian mcdiarmid.

But ray park isn't in it. Anyone know why? I mean if Liam Neeson is there, it should make sense for maul to have made an app (in or out of costume)

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Perhaps he couldn't make it to one of the photo shoots.

3. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    They probably stuck to characterzs with some depth in the saga, and Grievous of course, for obvious promotional purposes. I wouldn't have minded seeing Park, Morrison, Logan, or even Bulloch on the list, but the core group is there.

4. Imperial_TOOL

Imperial_TOOL Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2005
    Mark Hamill wasn't there either... he was in New York while the others were in L.A. But they took his photo and comped him in. It would've been great to see Park in there, too... but I guess you can only have a certain amount of high-class glossy print.

5. TrumpetGirl0590

TrumpetGirl0590 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2004
    Maybe better luck next time... Would've been cool to include him, though.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    As much as I like Ray Park and the character of Maul, having him there for the shoot would make it too clustered. Maul essentially has the same screen time as Mon Mothma or Admiral Piett in the OT, and wasn't a hugely important character. You can't have every actor be involved.

7. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001

Ah yes, i suppose when loked at in context with mon mothma, etc, I suppose you are right. However, Maul was far more popular than mom-mothama, and, more importantly, was more of a marketing machine. (I don't recall mothama having her ugly mug on every single merchandise after ep 6) ;)

Oh well, not really important, but I really like that picture, and the way it shows everyone from each era. Being a maul fan I woul dhave liked the coolest sith to have been in there. :(

8. Darth_Virgo_97

Darth_Virgo_97 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    I would've like to see Darth Maul included in the photo. I can also understand from some of the other remarks that he wasn't exactly is key character in TPM. Nonetheless, he was a cool addition to the film.

9. James_Sunderland

James_Sunderland Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    Darth Maul WAS a key character in TPM. It was his character that made the Jedi realise the Sith were back.

10. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    "Darth Maul WAS a key character in TPM. It was his character that made the Jedi realise the Sith were back."

Yes, he was a key character in many ways, but _one_ of the reasons he may not have been there was because of the short screen time as compared to the others.

However I will say this; Maul may have had a shorter screen time, but he had a much bigger impact. I mean if low class, yet lucas's favorites like the droids, chewbacca, and jar jar of all things were there it would have made sense ot have maul in as well.

I think it has more to do that they either could not get ahold of ray park, and/or it would have been too much of a bother to put on his makeup. :p
    Though in this case they could have attempted, at least, to use a previous photo and digitally add him in.

I dunno how many of you have actaully sen the picture in question, but it just screams 'Closure' and 'The Star Wars Saga'. Its really well done.

11. TarkinsonsDisease

TarkinsonsDisease Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    And I don't think the majority of normal fans let alone the public would recognize him without his Maul "get-up" on.

12. James_Sunderland

Jan 7, 2005
    Unless he was holding a double bladed lightsaber in the shot.

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The coolest Sith was there didn't you see Vader. But, anyway I think it would've made for too cluttered a shot for a character with ultimately little signifigance.

14. Macavity

Macavity Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2004
    Maul is very significant. Without him Obi Wan wouldn't be forced to train Anakin (who knows...things could have turned out very differently if Qui Gon trained Anakin). Besides imagine Phantom Menace without him.

15. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    From what I remember of the cover, it might be more in terms of those with closer significance to whatever the events are in RotS, direct influence on Anakin, and showing a connection to the OT. Who knows...

Either case, while I did miss seeing Maul there (I highly doubt they would've shown him as just Ray Park considering who they chose to be shown as themselves), it wasn't too surprising that limited things. As someone before mentioned, adding too many characters/actors (considering the number that could be chosen from in the entire saga) probably would get too cluttered.

16. James_Sunderland

Jan 7, 2005
    I'd like a pic with all the Sith sans their costumes.

17. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    That could get interesting since it would depend on if you want ALL of the people that made up the Sith you see on the screen (for example, it's not just Prowse and JEJ that make up Vader...there was a fight double after ANH and a new person in the suit--one who had done work already as Vader in various SW related tv ads and promotions--for a shot or two in the Special Editions, IIRC), or just the ones commonly credited. ;)

But yes, that would be a cool thing. Perhaps two pictures...one with the characters as they appear in the movies and a second one with the various actors and voice actors in the same relative placement as the first photo.

18. DJ_RMC

DJ_RMC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    it would have been cool to see him in the shoot but u can't always get what u want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.