main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga No regrets--Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan mid-TPM for Liam's b-day--Vignette 33

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    It had been one of those impossibly long days that was only made worse by a combination of exhaustion, heat and the need of most sentients to be obstinate as nerfs. It had not begun, as most on-board assumed, with the pod race and the fight with the cloaked warrior was not the last of his worries.

It certainly wasn't the least of his worries, but Obi-Wan was having something that approximated compassion when it came to Anakin and hadn't mentioned it in his presence since their first meeting in the cargo hold.

After all, if the boy was to become a Jedi, he should not be given the impression that all Jedi routinely had to fight each other.

Then again, Qui-Gon was not exactly sure that the warrior had been a Jedi in anything but training. Certainly, he had called on Sith arts. Qui-Gon was fortunate to get away with his life, but that was something that he had not even divulged to Obi-Wan. Of course, his apprentice had probably guessed it just by looking at the deepening of the furrows in his brow or noticing how many heartbeats it took him to catch his breath.

Perhaps Anakin was not the only one receiving Obi-Wan's almost preternatural compassion.

A knock on the door startled him from his reverie and Qui-Gon nudged the release button with the Force, revealing Obi-Wan on the other side. He managed a smile, but did not bother to remain upright, since he had spent too little time in a reclining position in the last few days. Obi-Wan didn't seem to mind, but his own brow furrowed and Qui-Gon knew that he was here to either fuss or change the subject.

"Were the handmaidens of assistance to you?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Yes, Master," Obi-Wan responded dutifully, "especially the one they call Padme."

Obi-Wan had referred to her often in this way as if it were some pseudonym that Qui-Gon was obviously overlooking. Perhaps it was, but that was not important to the current mission.

"She has a special fondness for the boy," Qui-Gon explained. "I think she will be of great use to us until the Temple takes him."

There was an uncomfortable shift in Obi-Wan's stance. He did not believe in the slightest that there was an "until." It had always been a matter of "unless" since the moment Qui-Gon had explained the boy's aspirations.

But Obi-Wan didn't comment on it, only smiled slightly. "As do you, Master," he observed.

There was no shame in admitting it, especially since he had already explained Anakin's role in getting them spaceborne again, so QUi-Gon returned the smile. "I know how difficult it was for Anakin to leave his mother," he explained, "but he did it anyway. He has a stout heart."

"That I do not doubt," Obi-Wan agreed. "If the podracing is as bad here as on Malastare..."

"Worse," Qui-Gon chuckled, "but that is not the kind of courage that I was speaking of."

Another thing that needed no explaining, but Obi-Wan looked curious. "Master," he asked, "did seeing Anakin's upbringing give you any regret?"

It was a question that stemmed from an ages-old question often posed to the Jedi about the necessity of a family environment.

"Not at all," he said firmly. "I have as much family in the Jedi as Anakin ever had."

2. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Cool, great discussion of family.

I like hos they both talk about Padme. Funny how everyone dances around just talking about what they know.[face_laugh]

Great job for a 54th Birthday present. =D=

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, good observation about Padme, yet Obi-Wan takes ten years to do something about it...

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Ah, that was lovely

@};- @};- @};-

I'm surprised Obi-Wan had to ask Qui-Gon if he had any regret after seeing how Anakin grew up, but I just loved Qui's response.

Nice job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    KELIA--Thanks, Kelai. Well, it may be a surprising question, but this probably isn't a common situation. Glad you liked the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.