main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends 'No Rhyme nor Reason' posted for OC morality challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LaForzaViva, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    The challenge was: "Have your OC faced with a task that requires him/her/it to go against his/her/its morals. Do they go with it or no? The rest is up to you."

This is a one-off vignette. One minor OC in this is a previously used one in my current story, 'Republic and Rebellion', which is linked in my signature. Thanks and enjoy!

Title: No Rhyme nor Reason
    Author: LaForzaViva
    Timeframe: 3955 BBY, between the KOTOR games (though the timing doesn't really matter)
    Characters: OCs: Alistair Jenor, Velren Kre'klo
    Genre: Tragedy
    Summary: Sometimes understanding is pointless. Sometimes there are no explanations. Sometimes our choices come full circle.

'No Rhyme nor Reason'

?And we thank Lt. General Alistair Jenor, for all his efforts on behalf of the Republic. Congratulations, General,? the Chancellor said, shaking his hand firmly and pinning the new bars on his uniform. He smiled and stepped to the front of the stage, waving to the crowd. Seated behind the politicians were rows upon rows of military men at ease, and they snapped to full attention, their arms raised in salute. His eyes began to water, and he stepped back so the other officers could receive their promotions from the Chancellor. It had taken him more than thirty years, but he was finally a general. And yet, only a day before when he was told of the promotion, he was also given his own resignation letter. It seemed that his military days were over.

The ceremony ended and he stepped out of the building to get some fresh air. He stood at a railing and looked out on the twinkling lights of Coruscant, his mind turning back some ten years and to a boy he had never forgotten.

Ten years before?

The klaxon went off, louder than usual. Woken from his sleep, Alistair Jenor swung out of bed, the metallic floor waking him as much as the alarm. The light above his door was flashing red. So, it?s a violent emergency. Great. He hoped it was worth the lack of sleep; the party last night hadn?t ended until 3 hours past his normal bed time and the hangover hit him hard. No wonder the alarm is louder than usual. Should?ve had more water last night he thought, sighing.

The overhead light snapped on, its pale and frigid color giving him the chance to rue his decisions last night, and also to find his uniform. He shrugged into the black jumpsuit and pulled the alloyed breast and back plate over his chest. He clasped the ties shut on the sides, feeling the tightness of the armor. Maybe I need to cut the drinking he mused while opening up a footlocker at the base of his bed. He jammed the helmet down, flattening his bed-head hair, leaving the straps dangling. No real soldier strapped their helmet down. Only a rookie did that, and he was no rookie.

His combat boots were next, thick and sturdy and coated in a fine layer of dust. Had it really been that long since his last action? The benefits to living on Coruscant were nice, especially the pay, but the tingling in his chest and groin at the thought of battle made him realize just how much he missed it. But I haven?t lost my touch. Thank the Force for the nice shooting grounds.

The intercom crackled on. ?All personnel report to docking bay 7-A immediately. Repeat, all personnel, report to docking bay 7-A immediately. This is not a drill,? the crisp, female voice sounded. At least I?ve gotten up for a purpose he thought, chuckling. He grabbed his combat belt and fastened it, noting with dismay that he needed an extra loop to fasten it.

But it was worth the extra loop as he ran his hand over the pistol tucked snuggly in its holster. A Blastech DL-21, it was his second most expensive purchase during his career and had lasted far beyond the normal five years it took for a pistol to wear out. To him, Old Glory wasn?t just any pistol, it was his and he had taken loving care of it for over fifteen years, replacing parts when necessary. Every soldier he?d ever served with or spoken to always commented on its ivory handle, the pièce de résist

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW that's writing reality as it is happening everywhere where there are conflicts.

Great response to the challenge.=D=

3. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Wow. That was really poignant. I guess saving a life wasn't the best course of action in that case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.