main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No surprise of Leia discovering was her brother?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JEDI_LEE_SWERDNA, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI_LEE_SWERDNA

JEDI_LEE_SWERDNA Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2005
    It was felt through the force, but it's interesting that Leia showed no surprise of any kind discovering that her and Luke were siblings. Your thoughts and comments...

2. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Somehow she's always known.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Her reaction was probably shock to various degrees which goes along with denial. It was a lot to understand in a minute that Vader and Luke were both part of her family. At the other hand she could feel it and knew deep down that it was like that, from the beginning.
    It is very complex and above all she is worried for Luke's life and the future of the rebellion.
    That is a lot of emotions all at once.

-Seldon

4. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    One could say that her choosing Han over Luke would suggest her instincts proved he wasn't meant to be pursued.

5. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I think that Leia's lack of shock had to do with the fact that she was under a lot of stress- she just found out Darth was her father, the upcoming battle, Luke announcing his departure. She was probably trying to take it all in and at the same time, she wasn't going crazy because she had already felt some sort of connection to him through the Force. Luke had also been dropping hints earlier in thier dialogue, so she probalby had a sinking suspicion all along, but was waiting for Luke to confirm it.

6. Freddy-Krueger

Freddy-Krueger Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2005
    Somehow she's always known.

Which is gross, considering she gave Luke a five second frencher in Empire.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Frencher implies the use of the tongue. I say I see no tongue! I DENY! ;)

Actually, I don't see why people get so grossed out about the affection. Ths kiss on Hoth isn't even that bad. It on the mouth, but it wasn't open. More like a prolonged smooch that wasn't anything particularly passionate. I actually think it's fairly natural that they were attracted to each other if they had no *conscious* idea that they were brother and sister (that's what I always assumed Fisher's line to mean - that her break away from him as a romantic choice was a subconscious realization that he was not to be pursued in such a manner). Their personalities are mostly blended rehashes of their parents personalities, and, pish, we saw how quickly Padme and Anakin fell for each other. They're young, attractive, brave, and often find themselves in high-stress situations that require immense trust in one another's abilities. I find it unsurprising that they felt some odd attration.

I should also add that I feel editing out the first kiss Luke and Leia almost shared on Hoth from the final really destroys any continuing love triangle-esque emotions I felt. By that point, it's fairly obvious who Leia's choice is and that she's really only using Luke to get back at Han, and Luke seems more or less assured of the same. Had they left that in there (the image from the previews of them leaning closer...closer...), I would say it was bordering on really weird, but leaving it out gives more strength to Fisher's "I always knew" line since there is no sense of a pursued relationship between her and Luke, hypothetical or not.

As for her reaction in ROTJ...I actually find it more or less in line with her personality. Leia isn't one big on emotional outbursts of that intensity (unless it's anger), so I think her being so numb from shock more or less correct. She definitely broke down to a degree - when was the last time we saw Leia throw herselves in the arms of another wanting comfort? IMO, learning Vader was her father struck quite an emotional blow for her to do such a thing.

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    There is no evidence to indicate that it was a french kiss.

-Seldon

9. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I despise that scene in ROTJ and always will. It comes off so cheesy. "I've always known"? I don't think so. And she makes no verbal reaction to Darth Vader being her father.

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    There were quite a few things going on at once. The horrid look on her face is coming at the Vader realization but you have to remember there is a lot of shock mixed in there as well.

It was cheesy? Most of Star Wars is.

-Seldon

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    No verbal reaction to Vader being her father? Does she really need one? That's not exactly something you want to dwell on when you have the pressure of an imperative mission and the abrupt loss of your brother to deal with. It's alot to take in. Her body language that follows is far more telling, IMO. And, really, the focus when he revealed it to her was that she was his sister, not that she was Vader's daughter. I'm sure it took a few more moments for that to really sink in.

Well, that...and no movie is perfect. But I didn't have major problems with it. So what if it's cheesy? You do realize this is *Star Wars,* right? ;-)

12. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    IMO that part of ROTJ was a part of the movie that finally linked the OT(in terms of the Skywalker clans estrangement).

Leia's verbal reaction at learning that Vader was Luke's father came across as repugnance mixed with shock to me... then Luke adds in via the whole "the force runs strong in my family,my Father has it ,I have it and my sister has it" manner to which the realization kicks in as to what that means...

So Leia has a lot to take in, I imagine that she would be running through in her mind the events and related feelings she has/had towards Vader all this time.

As far as Leia saying that she felt she had 'always known' about her and Luke being siblings well maybe she had an instinctual feeling all along but couldn't have during ANH but by TESB..she was getting a little incestual if she had any suspicions by then which was a little too freaky(IMO).

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. JEDI_LEE_SWERDNA

JEDI_LEE_SWERDNA Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2005
    Okay so far very very good feedback with this topic. Yes, "The Kiss" kind of makes things a bit questionable if she always knew. Maybe it wasn't open mouthed. I wasn't looking for anything of that nature when watching it. But, if she always knew then yeah, it would have been just a tad bit incestuous.

14. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    It was cheesy? Most of Star Wars is.

Blasphemer! ;)

I'd like to see that scene sans Luke. Would Leia "french" kiss the wookie?

15. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    Honestly, I've always thought that Luke/Leia being siblings was too soap-opera-extreme. Yes, I like them being related in the EU, but geez--what are the odds?!

Going back to topic, the "Somehow, I've always known," does make sense. It's like when you have a dream, but you can't recall most of it when you wake up. You see hints of it in real life, but it doesn't make logical/conscious sense. Her words translate to, "I've always felt a connection with you, but I didn't know what it was. Now, it makes sense."

She didn't know Luke was her brother--she knew that they had a connection that went beyond friendship. And, yes, for awhile (not their fault), they mistook it for the wrong emotions. Sue 'em.

16. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I don't think that the kiss is all that gross because I think that Leia had no idea that Luke was her brother on Hoth. She feels a connection to him, but at that time, she was probably interpreting it as close friendship, because by the time they are on Hoth, it is pretty clear that Han and Leia are the couple. It is even hinted at in ANH. She was just trying to annoy Han and Luke even knew she meant it in a teasing way- his reaction after she kisses him. If were meant to think that Luke and Leia had somewhat romantic feelings for eachother on Hoth- Luke would have probably looked shocked and Leia would have probabaly smiled at him or something like that. I didn't think that having them be related was soap -opera ish. If you think about it, Leia being Luke's sister makes her equally or almost equally as powerful in the Force as him. If Luke had been killed or had failed, Leia would be the only one powerful enough to stand a chance against Vader.

17. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    No, it is fairly soap-operaish, but then, Star Wars is more or less a space opera. Underneath the guise of cool battle scenes and big, shiny explosions, there's a whole world of psychologically problematic people just milling around. I mean, c'mon...the villain of the series is Luke Skywalker's father. What are the chances of that happening? AND he saves his father through the power of his lurve. It's hilariously cheezy taken out of the context of movie drama. :p

I do prefer Leia being Luke's sister then what the original plan was - having some random chic appear or be known later on as said sister. If only because I hate it when new characters are introduced last minute.

18. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    This is the same chick who wasn't that phased at all when her home planet was blown up in front of her face.

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Heh. Leia's good at coping ;)

20. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm a bit surprised to hear that people think that scene is badly done. With the exception of Mark's opening delivery: "Leia? Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" I thought it was some of the best acting of the trilogy, from two people who, in my opinion, are not good actors to begin with.

Also helping the scene is John Williams, though.

21. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Also helping the scene is John Williams, though.

Very true. :) One of the most beautiful scored scenes in Star Wars. It really improves the scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.