main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No Teens Rule!?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kenobi421, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenobi421

Kenobi421 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    I've herd rumors that fanfilms by teens will not be posted on this site. Are these rumors true and what age is consisted to young to produce a fanfilm?

2. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Mmmmm... I'm not sure that rule exists... But there is something similar to it that says a teenager playing a Jedi Master or Knight isn't believable. It's not a "rule", though. It's just a very good piece of advice.

And since the servers are extremely slow, I don't think TFN would host any film until the problem is solved. So I wouldn't worry about "posting your movie on this site" (that is, if the problem is permanent, though I hope not).

3. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Just a rumour.

It's based on this part of the submission FAQ which has just been misread.

3. Find people to fit the parts. Fan films require a suspension of believe but do not stretch it. A teenage Jedi Master is just not believable. Clay Kronke from THE NEW WORLD and Joe Tesora from LEGACY OF THE JEDI are good younger Jedi Masters that pull it off.

I'm sure TFN FanFilms encourages teenage filmmakers, it is simply a fact that a young teenage Jedi Master is unbelievable and can ruin an otherwise great fanfilm. They can be great actors but if the viewer can't believe that that actor looks like a Jedi Master then it brings the whole story down.

And they have specifically said Jedi 'Master', a teenage Jedi Padawan is entirely believable, a 75 year old Padawan is not! ;)

[edit]Thought I'd better add that this shouldn't deter you when making a fanfilm, there are plenty of great story possibilities for younger actors (the Lord of the Flies thread is one interesting example), but if you really wanted to be a Jedi Master then do it! Fanfilms should be made for your own enjoyment, everyone else should be secondary, your not going to be making any money off them! :) Otherwise it is just a fact that you don't see too many young teenagers playing adult roles in major motion pictures.[/edit]

4. Kenobi421

Kenobi421 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    so to cast a 15 or 16 year old as a padawan would be acceptable

5. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Absolutely.

6. Kenobi421

Kenobi421 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    wow, i thought for a second there i was going to have to recast my hole fanfilm

7. Mugwump

Mugwump Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2001
    Sometimes it's unavoidable though. Fanfilms (and film making in general) takes A LOT of time, and you have to find people that can commit to that. Sometimes, one of your 18 year old buddies IS the best bet, when that's all you can do. Although whatever you do, DON'T put baby powder in their hair to make it look old and gray, it's absolutely abhorable. One thing that worked for my Jedi Master, Elwan Minn (Played by 18 year old Ryan Rasmussen) is making sure he doesn't shave for a couple a months. While I didn't get the facial hair I wanted, I was able to grow some pretty mean chops on that boy ;-) (Hey, It was the only thing I could do!!)

I would GREATLY encourage trying to find someone a little more adult to play the role of a Jedi Master, but if all else fails, don't shut your whole film down.

-Mugwump
    (Hey, My Jedi Master ended up winning a 'best actor' award at a local Theater company, so you NEVER know!!)

8. Mugwump

Dec 30, 2001
    Sometimes it's unavoidable though. Fanfilms (and film making in general) takes A LOT of time, and you have to find people that can commit to that. Sometimes, one of your 18 year old buddies IS the best bet, when that's all you can do. Although whatever you do, DON'T put baby powder in their hair to make it look old and gray, it's absolutely abhorable. One thing that worked for my Jedi Master, Elwan Minn (Played by 18 year old Ryan Rasmussen) is making sure he doesn't shave for a couple a months. While I didn't get the facial hair I wanted, I was able to grow some pretty mean chops on that boy ;-) (Hey, It was the only thing I could do!!)

I would GREATLY encourage trying to find someone a little more adult to play the role of a Jedi Master, but if all else fails, don't shut your whole film down.

-Mugwump
    (Hey, My Jedi Master ended up winning a 'best actor' award at a local Theater company, so you NEVER know!!)

9. Kenobi421

Kenobi421 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    what about casting a teen for an adult role for the sake of hight? (i need a very short person to play the part of an alien)

10. Mugwump

Dec 30, 2001
    Well that's up to your CastD. Or in this case, your Make up and Wadrobe people.

Well... It really depends on the role. If you're going to be an alien, chances are you're going to have SOME sort of humanistic trait. What is the charictor like? In this situation, it's all about what the actor can do.

Think of watto and Sleezebago (death sticks kid.) One is an 'adult' alien and one is 'teen' alien. I've seen some teenagers pull of some pretty mean watto impressions before, so if you can do it : go for it.

11. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Topic= Not true! I rule!

:D

Carl

12. KepowOb

KepowOb Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 4, 2001
    Are you making your fanfilm just to get it hosted here? I wouldn't really worry about following the guildlines that theforce.net puts on the films they host, make your movie and then see if they will take it or not, if not there are a few other places that can host it usually.

From what I understand they will host any Star Wars movie that is well made and of good quality. Meaning you want your actors ages to meet to ages of your characters and a good script and all that. The only problem I can see is making your movie and making certain changes in it just so TF.N will host it, but then they decide not to any way...

Its up to you of course though, you have to make your movie the way you want it to be.

13. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i'm currently debating to have either my cousin and his friend who are 16 to be in the film or have my 13 old friends. It is actually written for the people in my script to be young, o and they are sith :p

14. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    18 is usually fine... except for me... I'm 18, but would have made a great Episode I Anakin, except for that half-filipino thing...

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Dang, Carl got to it first. :(

:p

M. Scott

16. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    We accept submissions based on quality. It's that simple.

17. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Maybe you could grow facial hair like Obi-Wan in Episode II? ;)

Anyhoo, I plan on playing a Jedi (not master, but close), and I am a teenager. We have a pretty good makeup artist, so a teenage sith will not be a problem. Height will not be a problem, because my friends and I are around 6'. I am still wondering on the almost-Jedi master teens... I will just go with it, maybe spend another year planning, and shooting FX shots, so I can be a year older.

18. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey I'm being teh Padawan in my movie, I'm 21 :p

Most likely my Master will be the same age.

But there ways to make people APPEAR older.

One cheap way is grey hair. You can wig it, OR baby powder.

Make up helps too, to revrese age or increase it. Though no substitute for the real thing.

Anyway, my 2 cents

19. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    There are not any real age limits, it is no harder to belive a 17-18 y/o jedi master than it is to believe the normal overweight middle age jedi master. Don't worry about any kind of requirements, they only put provisions in so they have a reason to tell bad films to take a hike.

20. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Actually, I'd tend to believe an overweight middle-aged jedi master more so than a 17-year old one. heh

But whatever. :D

21. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    So, you would say that Wayne Knight would play a more believable Jedi than the guy who played Anakin in Episode II?

22. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
  23. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Hayden Christensen is 20, but yeah, I'd believe Wayne Knight more. :D

[image=http://www.bryanharley.com/knight.jpg]

Jedi Knight and Padawan Bean

24. Clone_No759

Clone_No759 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    i wouldnt blame them for the age limit, anything below 10 shouldnt be acceptable, i mean, Jake Llyod, come on, lol.

25. Kenobi421

Kenobi421 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    true, true alright thanks guys that makes me feel a little more secure in my casting. Jedi Apprentice i like that picture heh heh heh heh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.