main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No, there is another: Other vfx companies and general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by v8er77, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    isn't weta working also on the prequel of planet of the apes and on a gulliver movie with jack black?

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes they're on the Apes prequel, new version, whatever. It was reported in Variety or HR as well. Gulliver's Travel, I think so but my memory is fuzzy.

3. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Manuel is right. They're working on Gulliver's Travels.

I loved Master and Commander. Exceptional work by Asylum. They left a mark for their decade of existence.

Malducin:
    Yes they're on the Apes prequel, new version, whatever.

[face_laugh]

Yeah I have no idea what it really is either.

4. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Yep, I'm tired of these filmmakers trying to be cute (it's not a remake/sequel/reimagining but something different). Just say it, it's a remake.

5. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    The 15 Semifinalists for the VFX Oscar:

Alice in Wonderland
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    Clash of the Titans
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    Hereafter
    Inception
    Iron Man 2
    The Last Airbender
    Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    Shutter Island
    The Sorcerer?s Apprentice
    Tron: Legacy
    Unstoppable

Oscar Watch: Visual Effects Branch Narrows List to 15

6. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Pretty impressive list. Some terrific work there.

So from here it's narrowed to the 5 finalists correct?

Here's my prediction:

Iron Man 2
    Tron Legacy
    Inception
    Potter 7
    Alice in Wonderland

7. michealB

michealB Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2010
    i agree with your list. IMO there aren't this year oustanding achievments in vfx like avatar, star trek, t2 or district 9. if i have to choose a winner, i would pick alice or iron man 2. i have not seen tron( but i heard not so enthusiastic things about CG jeff bridges), inception and potter are pretty forgettable in terms of visual effects. but probably inception will win because the movie was so well received.

8. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Nope, from the 15 it's narrowed first to 7 and those go to the Bake-Off, and from there it's 5.

As far as Tron 2, I saw an 8 min advance preview back in August in stereo 3D, and it was probably one of the most impressive things I've seen all year. As far as the previews of the CLU and CG Bridges I wouldn't be surprised if they were works in progress. If I remember right from Avatar and Benjamin Button, getting the facial rig to work on something like that can take a year.

Hmmm I have to think about my 7 bakeoff and 5 nominations list.

9. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    CafeFX just closed down:

http://www.cafefx.com/

10. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Yet another smaller-sized shop that always delivered quality work bites the dust.

11. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    I think CafeFX was medium size (whatever that means) a few years ago before they started closing offices. I think they had something close to 200 people at one point. sad to see them go.

12. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Wow it was that big? I didnt know that. I figured it was around 100 or a little less.

13. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    I love the stuff being done for TV miniseries now(it rivals much feature stuff). Here is a great example of some: Brainstorm does Boardwalk

This is from Boardwalk Empire, an HBO show. I love this period recreation stuff. There's a nice video featurette at the bottom showing some of the work done. Great stuff.

14. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    In theory the CafeFX main studio in Santa Barbara was a 36000-square foot facility capable of housing 200 people although I'm not sure if it ever operated at full capacity. Then again they had a satellite office in Santa Monica so it's probable overall they had 200 during their peak years.

2010 was a good year for cable VFX. Boardwalk Empire was fantastic (and I can't wait for the 2nd season) and I also enjoyed The Pacific and The Pillars of Earth. I wonder if those other two have Vimeo breakdowns?

15. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Yeah the work in The Pacific was exceptional.

16. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    And the previews for Game of Thrones look encouraing.

17. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Have you read Game of Thrones? :eek:

Wow. The makers of that show have their work cut out for them I will say that much.

18. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Haven't read it, my pile of pending books is sky high, have to read tech manuals for work most of the time ... I need a break.

The production design for Game of Thrones looks great. Besides it has Sean Bean, so it can't be that bad.

19. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Well the book could be described as dense. I mean it is very descriptive and thorough. You should read it when you get some down time.

20. kirkout

kirkout Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2002
    Hey guys, haven't posted here in awhile, but seeing as there is a non-ILM vfx discussion thread, figured it couldn't hurt to jump in ...

One of the mags I write for is thinking about doing a little story on 'semi-invisible' vfx in current films, based on TRUE GRIT having about as many vfx as the original SW. I've been hunting around trying to find a couple other recent movies that might help make it a three-vendor story (which would turn it into my next assignment after MARS NEEDS MOMS), but am not having much luck. I saw that the vfx supervisor on COUNTRY STRONG has about a dozen credits in the last year (first half at Zoic, the rest unspecified), so I was thinking about hunting him up, but if you folks have any thoughts/ideas ...

Kevin aka Trevanian aka Kmart

(keep fingers crossed for me, am hoping to get to cover TREE OF LIFE, maybe even talk with Trumbull, something I've wanted to do for 35 years!)

21. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Covering Tree of Life would be awesome. It looks like it's visually spectacular.

Great to see you around Kmart! :cool:

22. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Looks like Inception was the big nominee for the VES Awards.

Iron Man 2 was also nominated along with Alice in Wonderland, Tron Legacy and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.

23. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Hmmmm recent ones I can think of are Hereafter and The Social Network. Upcoming not sure, maybe Source Code from Duncan Jones and he Adjustment Bureau.

24. kirkout

kirkout Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2002
    The Fincher is probably not recent enough, given that the issue would be streeting near April.

ADJUSTMENT BUREAU is a pretty great idea, considering I've wanted to cover it in some way since seeing the trailer (apparently the DP doesn't like to blow his own horn anymore, so apparently nobody will be getting a cinematography article out of that one, or so I've been told.)

I'll check on the others, thanks much!

25. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    I heard about Deakins describing the opening shot of True Grit, which apparently has some digital touches applied to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.