main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No, there is another...Star Wars Movie: Epsiode 7: 2015

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by nnaydolem, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I got "A Republican Gundark" [face_plain]

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  2. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I totally agree, but I just don't want to hear all the poodoo that gets spewed. The prequel poodoo about did me in, and I was nowhere nearly as involved in the fandom as I am now.

I can take a critical discussion with actual points of view and support for an argument, but for the love of Yoda, I don't want to listen to people just flinging poodoo because they're unhappy.

3. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    OK, I'm strictly an OT person, so guess I'll dig out my VHS's. Flinging poodoo now at my desk so I don't have to later. LOL

Sounds like a bunch of special effects gurus on a CG team again. Ben Burtt and John Williams are kinda no brainers (they'll always be in on any SW project, it's kinda their baby). Arndt wasn't doing anything really, so Kasdan stepped in with a script he already kinda had. JJ liked it and now the two are working together. I love it when scriptwriters and directors can actually come together. Glad to see Kasdan writing it now. I'm thinking it'll have some elements of the OT (or some references to it) with lots of CG (not happy with that unless it's like Avatar). My true wish is that it's not in 3D, but since it's Disney my guess is that it will be. Too bad if it is, I'll wait for the bluray non-3D version and watch at home if it is. I hated what they tried to do with EP1 3D (even though I did watch it again on screen just to see if 3D made the story better, which it didn't at all).

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but nothing will beat the true magic of the original (when it was just called Star Wars and nothing else). ESB was fantastic (and the best of the bunch), but when the scroll first came on and the first Imperial ship came into view during the opening space battle scene the first time SW came out we were all hooked. That's the power and magic of a truly great film. Nothing in the franchise has come close.

4. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Interesting that the Disney clip talked about the "SAGA" films and at least 3 "stand alone" films. So that means more SW for everyone! YAY! Still looking for props and character costumes so I can get a jump on making them :D

FanForced likes this.
  5. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    o_O

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Was there some other news I didn't hear about? Nothing I've heard so far indicates this will be another prequel-esque CG-fest. In fact, I believe JJ actually said several months back that they want to use more practical effects than CG for this film.

As far as 3D, JJ announced that they are going to shoot on 35mm film instead of digital and won't be shooting in 3D. So if the film is in 3D, it'll be a 2D to 3D conversion like Episode I. There was some news after Star Trek Into Darkness came out that it was the studio's decision to make a 3D version because 3D films make more money at the box office. I don't think Episode VII will be in 3D if it's up to JJ, but I doubt it's going to be his call. I can almost guarantee that ILM will want to do a post-3D conversion of it to show off.

Remember that part of Lucas' reason for pushing the envelope on CG technology and using so much of it in the prequels was to show off ILM's special effects capabilities so that they'd be in higher demand for other films (watch the visual effects featurette on the TPM DVD). This is also one of the reasons why Lucasfilm had planned to do all of the 3D re-releases. ILM had developed a new method for doing 3D conversions and they wanted to show it off with the Star Wars films. If they do make a 3D version of Episode VII, I predict it may not be ready when the film is first released. But of course that'll be an excuse to re-release Episode VII in theaters several months later. ;)

7. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Release date = December 18, 2015!

nnaydolem likes this.
  8. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Proving they disregard tradition.

Katsu_MaRoy likes this.
  9. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    My take from the date announcement was that they didn't want to push the film to May 2016 because it then pushes the release dates forward for the 4 or 5 other films that are currently planned. We've already been told that the spin-off films would be released in the years between the ST films, so I can see how they didn't want every other planned film to be pushed back a full year because of the first one. Hopefully this still means May releases for the other films.

10. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    I have a bad feeling about this.

11. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    It will feel very strange to have a SW film come out in Dec. I hope that Grimby is right and they go back to the traditional release date for the others.

12. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    It's probably because they have changed the production team quite a bit this past couple months, so they are getting behind already. Also, this morning it was announced that London is having a two-day casting call for Luke and Leah, so yeah, it's the Skywalker story continued (something Lucas adamently said at CVI he would never do since he was finished with the Skywalkers and wanted to move on to better things). My problem is British actors playing Amercanized roles (Mark and Carrie definitely played those roles with American accents towards an American audience). I wander who's going to play Mara Jade? You know that's the story they're going to tell! And to answer Grimby, yeah there will be CG (look at the creative team), but how much is JJ going to allow is the real question. Even the ST movies are CG'd...

13. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
  14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm not saying they won't use any CG. I'm just saying it probably won't be nearly as much as TPM, AOTC, and ROTS, because they've already come out and said so. As far as the creative team, I assume you're talking about this list Jonathan posted earlier:
    • director of photography Dan Mindel (Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness)
    • production designers Rick Carter (Lincoln, Avatar, Forrest Gump) and Darren Gilford (Oblivion, TRON: Legacy)
    • costume designer Michael Kaplan (Star Trek Into Darkness, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Fight Club)
    • special effects supervisor Chris Corbould (Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception)
    • sound designer Ben Burtt (Lincoln, Wall-E, Star Wars: Episodes I-VI)
    • re-recording mixer Gary Rydstrom (Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story, Mission: Impossible -Ghost Protocol)
    • supervising sound editor Matthew Wood (Star Trek Into Darkness, The Master, There Will Be Blood) of Skywalker Sound
    • visual effects supervisor Roger Guyett (Star Trek Into Darkness, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith) of Industrial Light & Magic
    • producers Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk
    • executive producers Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds)
    • John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII
    The only person on this list that has anything to do with CG is the Visual Effects Supervisor. (The Special Effects Supervisor, BTW, is a completely different department. Special Effects are practical effects - things like models, pyrotechnics, props, etc.)

nnaydolem likes this.
  15. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
  16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    welllllllll.......as most of you know...the cast has been announced...thoughts?

17. Yuri1138

Yuri1138 Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2009
    Carrie Fisher :D

18. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    I have to think Serkis is doing a CGI character.

nnaydolem likes this.
  19. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Yay for the big three. Glad to see Anthony Daniels and Peter Mayhew are also back. No Billy Dee? :(

For the others...okay. I'm glad they're giving new/relatively new actors the parts as then we probably won't be tarnished by seeing them as a previous character instead of who they'll be in these new movies.

20. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
  21. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
  22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    We have a title! And it doesn't have the word "Jedi" "Strikes" or the work "of" in it. And they're going without an episode number?!? That's going to be confusing down the road...

[​IMG]

23. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I heard that too, but feel am really hoping that "VII" is featured in marketing as far as the movie poster is concerned, and is a definite must for the opening crawl. Think back to the original announcement, it was very specifically stated that these would 7,8,9 a continuation of the existing (Skywalker) saga. It was later announced there would be stand alone films in between to buck the numbering trend, but we the numbering has to show up in the marketing like Iron Man 2 & 3, and not like the other films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe that immediately went to alternate titles like "the winter soldier" and "age of ultron".

24. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I've been avoiding spoilers for the most part, but I have to wonder- what's with the title? The Force Awakens .... ??... was the Force sleeping before, or something? :confused:I'm not dissing the title or anything like that. I'm just genuinely wondering what on earth it means in the grand scheme of things.

(Ok, I am being slightly snarky. But in a nice way, honest. And I am curious.)

25. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    The teaser trailer comes out this Friday at Westminster AMC 24. I think we are going to go try to see *a* movie on Saturday evening (most likely Mockingjay).