main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San A, TX No THX Theatre in the Alamo City!?!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Padawan Coalesce, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan Coalesce

Padawan Coalesce Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 1999
    For the release of TPM I lived in Austin so this was not a problem, but I was just looking on http://pro.thx.com/theatre_locator.asp for the local THX-certified theatre(s) and there are none. :eek: I knew, Regal Cielo Vista 18, my regular theatre wasn't but I figured there had to be one in this city. The THX web site is a little old 'cause there is at least one newer THX-certified theatre in Austin not listed on there, that I know of. So someone please tell me there is one here in San Antonio! :_|

2. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Greetings Padawan, I know that when EP1 premiered here in 99 that Fiesta 16 was showing it along with some of the new theatres that have sprouted up courtesy of Regal theatres.

The theatres that are being taken into consideration for our lineup for EP2 are AMC Huebner Oaks (provided they don't get outbidded by Regal this time), Regal's Live Oak theatre and The Quarry (which hosted a sneak preview of EP1 last time) so we have some options to go with for our viewing pleasure . . .

Look for info coming up for our next meeting and we plan to discuss this at our meeting in FULL detail ...

Thanks and MTFBWY

John "ObiJuan" Laurel

3. MaximusVader

MaximusVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    There are none in SA. THX certification is just not something that a lot of theaters think is that important. Most of them either know that their sound is good enough, and thereby think that their patrons know it is good enough...or they know that their sound sucks (Cielo Vista) and won't do anything to correct it. Cielo Vista consistantly gets some of the worst ratings on presentation in the SA area but they only do enough to fix it for when they know they will be checked. And don't even bother with Sanstinkos Theaters. That guy is such a tight-wad that I am surprised he is so gung ho on opening all of these new theaters that he's planning.

I personally am planning on hitting the closest digital presentation of Episode II. May be out of the way, but I think it's worth it to be assured of great presentation.

4. Padawan Coalesce

Jun 18, 1999
    I'd love to see Episode II on totally digital format, but I really hate the drive to Dallas. Though it would be worth it.

I have never been to a Santikos Theater, but from the sound of it that isn't a bad thing. We go to Huebner Oaks 24 every once in a while. Cielo Vista just seems to be where we always end up going. Is the Cinemark Movies 16 any good? I don't think I've been there either.

I realize that THX isn't all that it is cracked up to be. There are a lot of places that don't want to fork over more cash just to say they are certified, when they are already better than the THX requirements. But with the THX certification you always know what you are getting. If I don't get to see it as GL intended, I at least want to hear it as he intended.

5. docgordo

docgordo Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2001
    All auditoriums in AMC Huebner Oaks are THX certified. Back in '99, I had conversations with the theater manager about TAP, and they consistently receive perfect scores.

6. Padawan Coalesce

Jun 18, 1999
    Thanks Docgordo. I had asked someone who worked there during the opening of X-Men and he couldn't even spell THX.
    They advertise their Sony Digital Sound and that's all anyone I talked to knew about.

7. darthroc247

darthroc247 Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Man!!!!!!!! As long as I can hear the movie, it's all good. THX this and certified that!As long as it is loud and Star Wars (good Star Wars, not EP1) I'm with it!!!

8. MING69

MING69 Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    hey whats up, just want to say im a fellow fan in SA and would like to talk about the preview, where christorher lee tell ob1 that together they can destroy the sisth, any reply would be nice, since no one i know is as a big a fan as me!!!

9. dConBill

dConBill Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Unless I am mistaken, several of the theaters at the Quarry Cinema are THX certified.

10. Padawan Coalesce

Jun 18, 1999
  11. MaximusVader

MaximusVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    The Quarry still runs the THX trailers, but they no longer pay for the certification. THX charges $10,000 a year for you to be certified, and most theaters just don't care to pay that. I don't blame them. You either have good sound, or you don't. The theaters that know their sound is top notch are usually the ones who really advertise "In Digital" in their ads.

Huebner Oaks is also not certified. If they were, they would be running the THX trailers and have plaques above the doors of the houses that have certification. I worked for AMC for a few years as a projectionist and I can tell you that there is no way that they would shell out the $10,000 a year to be certified. They may get good marks for their sound, but keep in mind that most of the people that are checkers for this sort of thing don't even know the difference between SRD, SDDS, DTS or any other sound formats. They just go into the auditoriums with a clipboard and mark whether it sounds good, or bad.

Now...to the GOOD news for us Star Wars geeks in SA........Check out the next topic I am about to post......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.