main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No vacuum on the asteroid?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Katana_Geldar, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    What i have never understood is how Han, Leia and Chewie were not submitted to the vacuum of space while they were in the mouth of the space slug

i can get gravity, all you have to do is see Armageddon to work that one out.

but does the mout form a kind of "atmosphere" so their heads don'tt explode or something?

anyone else have the same problem?

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I was more worried about how the slug ever gets close enough to other objects to be able to eat, how it digests minerals, why the asteroid field was so dense, and how the Falcon got in there in the first place to even think about that. ;)

There are many things in Star Wars that make no sense if you analyze them the same way you could a science fiction film.

3. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    To Dark Lady Mara you listen. And I woulda said that if she weren't a moderator either. ;)

Wordy 2 cents:
    Star Wars is an escape from the drudgery of everyday life. In everyday life, the Space Slug could not exist, nor could Han clean off minok minoch minock whatever off the Falcon. But in Star Wars, a magical realm, a mystical world of imagination, a macrocosm full of surprises, Space Slugs and non-vacuum space do exist. And people dig it.
    *steps down from crumpled cardboard soapbox*

Less wordy 2 cents:
    Maybe a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, the properties of space were different.

4. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Something I vaguely remember is about those breather thingies they put on. They don't just let you breathe in a vacuum or clound of toxic gas, they also release a chemical into your system somehow altering your physiology and allowing you to survive brief periods in near-vacuums...

Or I could just be spouting rubbish as it is quite early and I haven't woken up yet. :p

5. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    There's also no sound in space because of this, but you can hear ships plain as day. Therefore, try not to apply real science in some cases.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The space slug emits gasses to keep its interior pressurized.

7. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    I was more worried about how the slug ever gets close enough to other objects to be able to eat

it feeds off the darkside mwahaha.. that's why its babies stick close to the Emperor in RotJ ;)

8. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    But, Bib, they didn't know they were in a slug. They thought they stepped out in a cave. Why would they do that knowing it would kill them?

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Han probably checked the sensors before going out to make sure there was enough pressure. Of course, there wasn't breathable oxygen out there, which is why they needed the breath masks.

10. Lord_Coras

Oct 26, 2001
    That's a very good guess. I'll use it. :)

11. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Now if you all could apply this same logic to the 'we're out of rockets' argument, we'd be all set ;)

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Han probably checked the sensors before going out to make sure there was enough pressure.

If he'd done that, he would have known immediately that they weren't in space.

13. Lord_Coras

Oct 26, 2001
    Good Point DLM. I won't use the other any more.

14. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    But very large asteroids do generate a slight magnetic field (they can composed of iron), so maybe that was enough to keep them immune from the vacuum of space (they were very deep inside the rock).

When there is gravity, there is a magnetic charge. Although one could question why Han and Leia didn't have that "floating effect" since the gravity of the asteroid would be much less than that of a planet. In that regard, they should've been hopping 10 times their height.

But, to cover my bases ;), large asteroid belts are also known to have a mutual gravity due to the proximity of thousands and thousands of asteroids. This, in combination to the belt's strong magnetic field, may have been enough to create a respectable degree of gravity.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    That, or, you know, it was just another 'oops' moment. ;)
    As DLM pointed out, how did that feild become so dense anyway? And why were they moving so fast?
    The only thing I could think of was if two fairly large planetoids collided. But, judging from the speed and general 'feild' shape of the thing, the collision have to be fairly recent. Recent enough to consider Hoth a hazard and thus, not fitting for a base for a group of people who are struggling enough as it is without renegade planetoids making matters worse.
    But, like with the other 'oops' moments, I don't let it bother me any more than 'we're out of rockets'.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, the Hoth asteroid belt was formed when two planets collided with each other.

17. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    See? Wrighting EU's not hard!
    A braindead nimrod like me just did it :p

18. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think it has to do with the Falcon's life support system being slightly extended outside. Han made sure there was enough pressure and gravity (notice it was normal gravity and not the gravity of an asteroid). Although the Falcon had turned off all systems, the life support was still on, and could possibly be extended outside. This really is the only way to explain why they didn't seem concerned about having to put on space suits and didn't think about why there were gases in the asteroid. It's almost as if Han expected to have proper atmospheric pressure.

The asteroid field is unusually dense, and those asteroids should impact with each other, and then lose velocity and eventually collapse.

19. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeah, thats what I thought.

20. Obi-Con_Kenobi

Obi-Con_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    Maybe the asteroid was big enough to have its own atmosphere (Not that i really believe that though)

And maybe the Space Slug's (How to put this?) rectum was big enough for the Falcon to fly into and travel through the digiestive tract.

21. trinto_duaba

trinto_duaba Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2001
    The assumptions about 'enough air pressure' are dead-on correct. Otherwise, in a vacuum, they'd have to use full space suits. What is most puzzling about space slugs, is how the heck they evolved (with large molars!) in space? What do they prey on, modified Corellian starships? :confused:

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Space slugs feed on the mineral content of passing asteroids, as well as mynocks. But they're not averse to eating the occasional freighter too.

23. Twisted Sithster

Twisted Sithster Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 22, 2000
    If an object has mass, then it also has gravity. If the object is massive enough (like a planet, a large asteroid or a really big worm), then it has enough gravity to maintain an atmosphere.

TS

24. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    what about the moon? it has mass, it has gravity, but no atmosphere!

25. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Don't apply Star Wars to our Planet Earth. Star Wars is set in a galaxy far, far away. Different physics apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.