main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO No, we've never been formally introduced. Hello, I'm... (The Intro Thread)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedigal, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Damn_Redhead

That_Damn_Redhead Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2006
    NAME(S): Mary-Lynn, M.L., or even just plain "M" by my family and friends

AGE/BIRTHDATE: 35 - 5 July 1970, and yes, I slept in on Independance Day

LOCATION(S): St. Louis (Overland/Maryland Heights), Missouri, though I'm rooting for Galway, Ireland in Winter of 2007

OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: Camp Registrar and Member Services Associate at the Edward Jones YMCA in Maryland Heights, as well as Anthropology Student (primary interest historical archaeology) over at University of Missouri - St. Louis

FAMILY/PETS: I'm engaged to be married 30 September of this year (nothing big or fru-fru, we have yet to even figure out what we're doing) to my sweetie, Lloyd, a fellow Star Wars fan, special effects dude, and best friend since 1997 or so. My mother, although not a major Star Wars fan, is the one in my family who first picked up on the mythic elements of the series and brought "Hero With a Thousand Faces" and such into our home when I was a kid. My sister, eight years my junior, understands my lunacy and has promoted it to a certain extent with her own children, namely my nephew, Brendan. At almost five years of age, he's hooked on the movies, loves the toy sabre I bought him, and can regularly kick his father's rump in all the Star Wars video-games they have. He's cute, he knows it, and he uses it, and with his nearly merciless harassment of his older sister, Meghan, he could be a Sith padwan hands down. For those of you who've read the comic-book bit with a young Darth Maul titled "Hate Leads to Lollipops" in Star Wars Tales Volume 3 just about fits my nephew; sweet, but gifted in the mischeif department. PETS: I am owned by three cats: Epiphany (Piffles) the resident cleaner and youngest; Lucrecia (Lucy) the middle child with all of the syndromes; Skitter-Boo (Da Boo) eldest, biggest, and most demanding attention-hound.

SW FAN SINCE: 1977 - Saw it at the drive in up off of St. Charles Rock Road, complete with home-made stove-top popcorn (microwaves weren't quite mainstream, and microwave popcorn had yet to come into creation) and Mountain Dew.

HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Movies, a few figurines, the occasional comic book, collecting artwork online, and of course letting my imagination ramble wildly into odd corners the main stuff hasn't gone into yet to look for a good story. I'm also working to aquire the RPG books with hopes of running at least one game at Archon come October. Going over to Borders last Saturday was a rather sizable feed on the Star Wars obsession, and I was thrilled to meet other women interested in the fandom for themselves rather than trailing along with their significant others.

OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Ghost in the Shell, Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, Stainless Steel Rat, and probably a bunch of other things I've completely forgotten such as anime titles.

OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: archaeology, anthropology, history, ancient history, mythology, pre-history, role-playing games (primarily the story-heavy ones such as Werewolf and Mage, and some D&D), creative writing, historical research, and archaeological excavations, anything scientific as well...just about live on NPR's "Science Friday" program, anime, a darn good story, tattoos, historical reinactments...and writing.

MUSICAL TASTES: This is huge mix of this that and the other, depends upon what catches my fancy though while working out, I enjoy a good rave or upbeet soundtrack.

CHAT ID'S: Ninshuber over on Yahoo, or Revolutionary.cats over on Google.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Welcome M! My wedding advice is to elope!!

3. That_Damn_Redhead

That_Damn_Redhead Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2006
    *laughs* Ahh, we're about as close to eloping as there can be without using a justice of the peace. To sum up, although he's never been down the isle, I've "done gone there" twice in a decade of absolute....well, let me just say that both times I was sober, but not exactly bright where compatability was concerned. The first pairing was to the first man I ever dated, and though we were together for two years, engaged for two years more, it took me three years after that to realize it wasn't going to work; one does not pair "Mr. Spock" (his own admission) with a young woman still coming into her own emotional maturity (I was 21). The second one...well...let me put it to you this way, one should watch what one promises, and consider what one is doing if they intend to keep them. While still dating, my second husband's father was diagnosed with pancratic cancer. We, or should I say he, promised to let his father walk me down the isle if he survived surgery (he survived, but the treatment killed him two weeks after the wedding). There was no formal engagement, and the pseudo-engagement ring I had to buy myself, along with both of our wedding rings, the dress, and all that rot...eventhough it was a home wedding in the in-law's house. What's worse is that our wedding night was spent on the family room floor using the couch cushions for bedding. I blissfully forget how long we had dated, and how long we were married, and intend to remain devoutly so. Of the last news, my first ex was remarried of which I am glad, from what I've heard he's found a good woman more suited to his nature. My second ex, well, let's just say he's still his own worst enemy, and I wouldn't want to curse anyone with his presence; as it stands, he's already been exiled from a number of coffee-houses according to rumor.

Gads, I feel like an old hack when it comes to marriage!

4. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    M- Yay! you made it to our little corner of the world. I was hoping you would. It was great meeting you and Lloyd last Sat. and look forward to seeing you two a lot more!!!

Welcome!

And when it comes to marriage and love I think we all have made mistakes we regret. Thankfully!!, we learn from them. Sounds like you and Lloyd and going to be very happy.

5. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
  6. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Hi MJ and Mary-Lynn, welcome to the group.

This is really cool. I am three days older than Mary-Lynn.

7. cybertronian

cybertronian Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2006
    NAME(S): Charlie, Charles, Chuck, or anything remotely similar
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 24 / December 31, 1981
    LOCATION(S): Saint Louis (sort of in between Affton and Shrewsbury). My wife and I moved to Saint Louis about a year and a half ago, but I'm now nearly done taking classes I'm hoping to have some more time to do things not directly related to school. :)
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: I'm a Computer Science graduate student at Washington Univeristy.
    FAMILY/PETS: My wife of two years, Sandra, and our two cats, Andromeda and Magellan (though we call them Andie and Mage).
    SW FAN SINCE: As long as I can remember. My older brother was a big SW fan and made sure I was, too.
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Roleplaying (d20 of late), the SW miniatures game, and reading lots of SW fiction.
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Transformers, Futurama, Galactica, Farscape, B5, Stargate, Star Trek... I also tend to read a lot of general sci-fi novels; I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams, Orson Scott Card, Dan Simmons, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, A. E. Van Vogt...
    OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: Fantasy novels, general roleplaying, open source software.
    MUSICAL TASTES: I'll listen to most anything, but I most enjoy classical, jazz, celtic, and some techno. Of course, I'm also an avid soundtrack fan.
    CHAT ID'S: CINAPTN0D (AIM, note that the 0 is a zero, not an oh; I really need to get something better..)

Edit: Jeez, I left Transformers (my namesake!) out of the interests list.. That's what I get for doing this on a Monday morning. :)

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Welcome Charlie! Another mini's player near me, score! Maybe we can get together and play sometime. Been dying to find a local group for minis :)

9. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    :-O

A newbie that actually makes his first post in the proper introduction thread?

I like this one. Let's keep him. :p

10. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Welcome Charles, Charlie or Chuck! :D

11. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Hi Charlie, welcome to our group. :)

12. JeedaiElf

JeedaiElf Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Welcome Charlie! :D

13. cybertronian

Jun 13, 2006
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

That'd be great! As of now, I mostly just get the occasional game in with my wife. I'm also using them in my d20 campaign which is just getting started.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I can't get my fiance to play anymore. Check your PM box :)

15. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Welcome Charles! It is nice to see someone else who is not afraid to admit liking Star Trek... LOL :D

16. NIBBOR11

NIBBOR11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Welcome MJ and Charlie, hope you enjoy your stay with us.

17. shcook1138

shcook1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2003
    Welcome, Charlie! Nice to see another WashU person around....

18. Padraeic_Whills

Padraeic_Whills Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2006
    NAME(S): Patrick Finley, P.F.
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 26- 5 July 1970, and yes, I slept in on Independance Day

LOCATION(S): Hazelwood MO (St. Louis County)

OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: A network administrator. Computer stuff. No its not geek squad *shudders*

FAMILY/PETS: I am married to my wonderful wife sarah, who tolerates my star wars obsession. She just "likes star wars" haha jk.

PETS: My cute little pug carly, daddy's little girl, The beagle, who takes the wife's side, and this cat, who terrorizes the houshold (he is less then a year old, but runs things!)

SW FAN SINCE: 1983, when my brother let me check out his action figures, and I watched, meh..Maybe Empire strikes back, I know I also had a star wars album too. I have always been a big fan of the movies, and try to keep up on the EU stuff too. I dont have any costumes, but if I had a chance to make one it would be a KOTOR period jedi, the Robes are cooler :D

HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Well, For one, I am a big star wars gamer. The big one would be Jedi academy right now. I am in a group , some would call it a clan, www.new-jediorder.com. Check it out if you play JKA. Love the movies, watch atleast one Every week, has I have all six on DVD sitting up on the Shelf, a real focal point of the room, well for me anyhow

OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: I was a star trek fan till it was killed Off by enterprise. Anything sci fi interests me. Love the works of Asimov. When I was 10 tried to build the computer in opus 100....didnt work out to well. Love the prophecy movies too, if you consider those scifi

OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: Religious history, Music, Technology, landscaping (happens when you buy a house I think) woodworking.

MUSICAL TASTES: Really partial to 50's doo wop right now, anything that is harmonies. But I love all sorts of music. I study music, so I have a broad liking

CHAT ID'S: padraeic@hotmail.com msn

19. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Welome Patrick! You share a lot of interests with most of us, besides the love of SW's!! Glad you found us and don't be afraid to jump into things around here!

20. Padraeic_Whills

Padraeic_Whills Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2006
    Glad to be here! IN the gaming communities I dont always get to see star wars fans my own age ha. Nice to know I can prove to people I am not the only over grown kid in the world. Seriously do we ever any of us grow up?:p

21. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    shhh, grow up??? Us? hehe, NEVER!!

22. cybertronian

Jun 13, 2006
    Hiya Patrick! Woo for more computer people!

23. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Welcome Patrick! If it makes you feel any better, I am a little over a year older than you. LOL! (Runs to the mirros to check for crow's feet. Ugh)

24. danscuda

danscuda Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2006
    Advertising

25. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Hello. I need to ask what this event is for, and who you are...we have several people with wonderful quality outfits, costumes from Jedi to Rebel pilots, Storm Troopers to Sith... if you could give more information that would be great!!

Thanks,
    Christina :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.