main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Noah's Flood - Local or Global?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by im_posessed, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vagrant

Vagrant Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Most modern Gelogists are conceding that it was probably a catastrophic, one time only flood that created The Great Rift Valley. same goes for the Grand Canyon.

When and how did the Flood create Grand Canyon? Why can't we see more "grand canyons" around the world?

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    what about kangaroos? did they just hop across the ocean to get to the ark? or did the ark do a mass trip around the entire world picking up species of animals that can only be found in particular places? what about the polar bears? and all the insects? how long did it take to get every single species in one place? about ten times the length of noah's lifespan?

ridiculous. it amazes me how people can keep this mask of faith firmly clouding their basic logic.

3. Qui-Rune

Qui-Rune Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    It's almost strange, isn't it Epic?

Many of the stories in the Bible remind me of the story of Kris Kringle. A bit of fact and A LOT of fable and folklore.

4. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    "what about kangaroos? did they just hop across the ocean to get to the ark? or did the ark do a mass trip around the entire world picking up species of animals that can only be found in particular places? what about the polar bears? and all the insects? how long did it take to get every single species in one place? about ten times the length of noah's lifespan?"

Let's not forget that the earth was once a signle piece of land...

5. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Which split up far longer than 6000 years ago. If it had gone from one piece to its current condition in 6000 years, the plates would have had to move so fast that there'd be constant seismic upheaval. The continents drifted over millions of years, not thousands.

6. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    I would think a global flood would be enough to split up the land in a few thousand years...

According to the Bible, there were vast passages of water under the earth's surface, which contributed to the flood. That water, bursting through the surface, would have split the land with enough force to push the pieces a great deal away from each other. Over time it would have slowed down of course, and it did.

7. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    "what about kangaroos? did they just hop across the ocean to get to the ark? or did the ark do a mass trip around the entire world picking up species of animals that can only be found in particular places? what about the polar bears? and all the insects? how long did it take to get every single species in one place? about ten times the length of noah's lifespan?"

Actually a better question would be how did kangaroos and things of the like get to their current landmass after the flood?

Many in the creationist camp have said that we do not know if the way the world works has always been the way it is. Has erosion always taken thousands of years or maybe in the past, it worked faster. In the past, carbon levels may have been this or that. Given that we have had a decent amount of observation of the world for the past few thousand years, not to mention a very through observation of it for the past century or so, we have seen no major changes in things like continental drift, speeding up or slowing down of accumulating layers in the ground, and the many things that geologists have used to date the earth. If there have been changes to account for the discrepancy of what mainstream geology is pushing out and what the evidence actually says about the earth, why are geologists lying, or why did God cause it? Also why don?t we see these changing of the ?laws? of geology now? What made them stop changing?

8. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "I would think a global flood would be enough to split up the land in a few thousand years..."

You would think alot of things that make no sense ;)

9. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    That water, bursting through the surface, would have split the land with enough force to push the pieces a great deal away from each other

You mean, South America and Africa got separated, what, 3000 miles or more, in 40 days and nights?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I would think a global flood would be enough to split up the land in a few thousand years...

WT*? I don't think water has much to do with plate tectonics.

11. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    That water, bursting through the surface, would have split the land with enough force to push the pieces a great deal away from each other...

...leaving the kangaroos with the same problem as before.

12. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    "You mean, South America and Africa got separated, what, 3000 miles or more, in 40 days and nights?"

Nope, it just started then (IMO).

13. Vagrant

Vagrant Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    JediMaster201,when did this Flood happen? 4300 years ago?

14. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    And you do believe it is still happening these days? That water is separating the continental plates?

15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    JM201: Let's not forget that the earth was once a signle piece of land...

you think the only problem with rounding up every single species on the known planet is the fact there's oceans between continents?

at that's not even taking into account the absurdity of one man and his family building an ark three football fields long, capable of holding every species on the known planet. noah must have blitzed engineering class.

oh, that's right... god helped him. ;-)

16. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    "JediMaster201,when did this Flood happen? 4300 years ago?"

I don't presume to know that.

"And you do believe it is still happening these days? That water is separating the continental plates?"

No, not water. I believe that only started it.

"you think the only problem with rounding up every single species on the known planet is the fact there's oceans between continents?"

Yes.

"at that's not even taking into account the absurdity of one man and his family building an ark three football fields long, capable of holding every species on the known planet. noah must have blitzed engineering class."

Noah and his 3 sons were big boys. Also, they didn't have to get two of every species, only two of every kind. As in: dog, cat, horse, elephant, etc.

17. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000

No, not water. I believe that only started it.

Still, it is completely unsupported by evidence, just in the case in you didn't know.

18. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    No, I don't know that. ;) I know that the current theory is not compatible with mine, but I'm not quite sure the evidence is against it.

19. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    So please share with us the evidence that indicates that a stupendous flow of water cracked Pangea and started the continental drift.

20. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    I have no evidence except what is written in the Bible. Do I expect you to accept that as evidence? No. It is only the basis for MY theory.

But I believe that is how it happened. I believe that is how the flood happened. There was water above the earth, and water below the earth. The water under the earth is what supplied plants with water, and it rose up as a vapor. At that point the earth was one land mass, Pangea, and the sea level was much much lower. The water from above came crashing down as rain (for the first time), and the water below rushed up, devided the land, and set the continents drifting. The sea level rose until the rain finally stopped, and then, viola. The earth became changed forever.

As I said, I have no more evidence for this than the popular theory out there today. But that theory has no more evidence than mine. Two theories from the same data.

21. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    I beg to differ. There is evidence for continental drift caused only by plate tectonics. There is evidence against a global flood. They all have been explained throughout this thread, but I will gladly bring them for you if you wish so.

22. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    People always bring up, about getting all the animals aboard the ark. Well either you beleive it or you don't. If you do then you have faith that God can do anything.

So God motivated the animals to peacefully to come to Noah so he could bring them onto the ark, all animal types, not every species that we see today. As long as they had the genetic code for varity not as many would be needed. Just look at all the different races we have today these all came from Noah, he had the whole genetic code in him for all humanity.

As to the size of the ark it was huge 437.6'L X 72.11'W X 43.9' H

It had three decks and had a area of about 96,000 square feet.

It's displacement was equal to the Titanic.

But unlike modern ships it never needed an engine or steering all it had to do is float for 80 days.

Some think how could they build and float such a boat back then, people don't realize this boat was designed by God himself. Noah just followed the intructions and built the Ark. The ark was also built with a special wood that God specified called gopher wood, this wood is incredible at resisting water and rot, Noah also used special tar to stop any leaks.

23. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    So God motivated the animals to peacefully to come to Noah so he could bring them onto the ark, all animal types, not every species that we see today. As long as they had the genetic code for varity not as many would be needed. Just look at all the different races we have today these all came from Noah, he had the whole genetic code in him for all humanity.

Admiting that occurred evolution to save the flood tale? Please bring the evolution thread back! ;)

24. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Where was all this water 'below the earth' located? In giant caverns? In the soil? Was there land over the sea and all that land sank?

Also, we can measure continental drift, and it is going at a predicted rate. If a flood at sometime less than 6000 years ago started the contents moving, how is it that they moved so far apart so quickly, then suddenly slowed to the rate it is at now?

Blue_Jedi33

So all of a sudden a few thousand years ago, evolution started to go at an unprecedented rate allowing for all the genetic diversity that we see and have seen for the past few thousand years? Again, what caused that evolution to slow down so much to what we 'observe' it is today? It defies common sense.

Again, God can do anything, but why is He messing with all the laws of physics, geology, biology and who know how many other branches of science to make it look like the earth's history is so different from what it is today?

25. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Um, we accept what's been proven. ;) Adaptation is a given. Micro-evolution and all that good stuff.

What we don't accept (or myself, at least), is macro-evolution. I don't accept that all of life came from one organism, or that birds came from fish, or humans from apes, or trees from rocks, so on and so forth.

Anyhoo, I'd ask you to post evidence against a global flood, but it would be pointless, because I'd just repost all of Brooks's evidence FOR a global flood, and we'd be back at square one.

EDIT: "Where was all this water 'below the earth' located? In giant caverns? In the soil? Was there land over the sea and all that land sank? "

I couldn't say where it was located. The Bible doesn't specify.

"Also, we can measure continental drift, and it is going at a predicted rate. If a flood at sometime less than 6000 years ago started the contents moving, how is it that they moved so far apart so quickly, then suddenly slowed to the rate it is at now?"

Again, the Bible doesn't say when it happened. It could have been 6,000 years ago, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.