main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Nobody ever invented a polite word for a killin' yet." - The Alfred Hitchcock Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Spielberg-Fan27, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spielberg-Fan27

Spielberg-Fan27 Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2002
    Here is a place to discuss and debate the work of the Master of Suspense himself, Alfred Hitchcock. My personal favorite of his films is Rear Window followed closely by Vertigo.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My personal fav is Psycho. I think that Tony Perkins even added (if that's possible) to the greatness of a Hitch film. You feel so sorry for Norman...

I also love Rope.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    North By Northwest
    Rope
    And The 39 Steps

Three great films. Can't belive that 39 was given away as a free gift by a magazine. :)

Vertigo is my least favourite. Too much a critics film I feel.

4. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...have to go with "Vertigo", followed by "Dial M for Murder", "Frenzy" and "The Trouble with Harry"...

Nice title for this thread :)

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Vertigo was his best. After that, Notorious, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Rope, Suspicion and Shadow of a Doubt all bunch up so I can't tell for sure what's my favorite.

Trouble With Harry is not nearly as funny as North by Northwest or Shadow of a Doubt . . .

And avoid Mr. and Mrs. Smith at all cost. I'd rather kill my firstborn than watch that one again. :p

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Any movie with Carol Lombard I can watch no matter how bad. REAR WINDOW is my absolute favorite Hitchcock movie. Hitchcock said it himself:"It was an exercise in pure cinema."

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Just don't expect it to be Hitch. It's not. ;)

I loved some of the little touches of Rear Window: all the sound is natural, all the shots originate from Stewart's apartment, etc. Such brilliant little touches like that show why Hitch is such a genius.

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    What about him not winning an Oscar for Director?

His one award (as a producer), made him give possibly the short speech ever.

`Thank you. Very Much.'

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    And of course his films were never nominated for half the Oscars they deserved. Vertigo didn't even get a nod for Best Picture, being not well received at the time.

It's totally incomprehensible to me, looking back, how anyone could miss the sheer genius of his films . . .

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Nobody ever invented a polite word for a killin' yet

UGH! I watched that movie recently, and now I'm going nuts trying to remember which film it was. Help?

His one award (as a producer), made him give possibly the short speech ever.

Which movie? Didn't he get best director for Rebecca?

Anyway, my favorite Hitchcocks:
    North By Northwest
    Pyscho
    Rope
    Vertigo
    Rear Window
    Birds
    39 Steps
    Rebecca
    Noterious
    Stranger on a Train

Worst Hitchcock movie: Under Capricorn. Even with Joseph Cotton in it, it was still bad.

I just bought Spellbound, a movie I haven't seen in years. I hope it's good.

EDIT -- Oh, hey, I just watched the Europian release of Stranger on a Train about a month ago, and I cannot figure out what the extra two minutes of footage is. In fact, I noticed a little footage that the American version had that the Europian version didn't. Anyone know anything about this?

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    The quote is from Rear Window, spoken by Thelma Ritter. :)

I just noticed that Pozzi commented that Vertigo was too much of a 'critic's film.' Interesting considering that Vertigo was by and large critically panned for years . . .

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    `Which movie? Didn't he get best director for Rebecca?'

You're thinking of Best Picture, which it did get. :)

`In fact, I noticed a little footage that the American version had that the Europian version didn't. Anyone know anything about this?'

I thought it was the europian version that had homosexuality alluded to? I could be wrong. But I'm sure that's the added footage.

`Interesting considering that Vertigo was by and large critically panned for years . . .'

Good point, but now the critics love it, but it's not something that's has broad appeal.

13. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I thought it was the europian version that had homosexuality alluded to? I could be wrong. But I'm sure that's the added footage.

That's what it says on the box, but I've watched both versions and can't see a difference. I was wondering which specific scenes were cut. Two minutes is enough time for one or two short scenes.

Good point, but now the critics love it, but it's not something that's has broad appeal.

I hated Vertigo when I first saw it, but now I love it. It is very haunting, the only problem is it's too darn slow.

14. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Has anyone here ever seen Charade staring Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant? It was written by what could be called "Hitchcock's understudy," and in my opinion is better than anything the maestro ever put out. Almost too much fun for a single movie! :D.

~PAd

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Charade is a classic. I heard some film critic, I forget who, call it the best Hitchcock film not made by Hitchcock. I agree.

You've got Cary Grant, you've got sophisticated humour, you've got a twist at the end, you've got an incredibly tense climax. It's near perfection, all right. :D

16. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I've actually studied Hitchcock and after watching all of his movies(except for the silent movies) my favorite is Strangers on A Train. Psycho or Vertigo would come in 2nd. He never made a movie I didn't like. Even his last movie, Family Plot, was good.

17. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Even Frenzy? I haven't watched it yet, but it looks like crap.

18. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Oh, Frenzy's good. If there was one Hitchcock movie I wouldn't reccomend it would be Waltzes from Vienna. Not a very Hitchcockian movie.

19. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Some of my favorites are Notorious, Suspicion, Vertigo and North by Northwest. Rear Window is a true classic that everyone should see. It was an almost perfect mix of suspense, Grace Kelly glamour and humor.

I think you will like Spellbound Darth_Stryphe. Look for an interesting Dream scene designed by Salvatore Dali.

For its ability to scare you have to go with Psyco, For glamour, and Style, To Catch a Thief, For humor, The Trouble with Harry.

I like the Birds for making such a benign thing so very menacing. I believe the ending of that one was supposed to be a shot of the Golden Gate bridge covered in Birds, but it was deemed to intense at the time.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I believe you're correct about the Golden Gate bridge shot. It was originally planned, but scrapped.

So, am I the only one who finds North by Northwest funnier than The Trouble With Harry? Everyone else seemed to like The Trouble With Harry, but I didn't really.

21. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't know if I'd say funnier, but I liked NBNW more than TTWH.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Personally, I laughed more at Grant's interaction with his mother than at anything that happened in The Trouble With Harry. Same with the murder planning neighbours of Shadow of a Doubt.

23. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Spellbound was good. Pretty easy to figure out who the murderer was, though.

It struck me, as I watched it, that Marnie is just a remake of Spellbound.

Also, I noticed on the back of the box, it said Spellbound was up for six Oscars and won for best score. Anyone know what the other six Oscars were?

So, what is Mr. and Mrs. Smith about? I can't find that anywhere to rent. It was a Hollywood production, yes? Not one of his British releases?

24. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Hmmmmm, Marnie and Spellbound? I'm curious what you feel the similarities are?

25. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Marnie and Dr. Ballentine. Both have pyschotic problems, both have things in their past they cannot remember, and both have a love interest who is trying to "cure" them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.