main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Nobody listens to techno" -- How true?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by RidingMyCarousel, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    The line in the title is from what may be the now infamous first track from Eminem's newest LP release.

Now, seriously. "Techno" music has been around and evolving for ages. Like every music genre, it grows and spreads. Lately it seems society is forgetting about the music. An entire culture is based around the music, and that culture still thrives.

So, what are your thoughts on the situation? Is Eminem's statement true? Or has media taken it's view off of the "club" society? And what are your thoughts/views on the entire culture itself? And of course, how do you feel about the music?

Discuss. :)

2. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Well, lots of people listen to "techno" or "electronic music" in general. And that includes me. But, I'm afraid that it will never gain large mainstream acceptance; it will remain a fringe genre.

Now, I know what you're thinking: what about guys like Moby, The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, or Prodigy who have enjoyed mainstream success? While it is true that those particular people have had success, it's much harder for newer "techno" artists to break through despite the fact that the genre is less crowded.

Again, while it may seem that "nobody listens to techno," that's not exactly an accurate statement. Listeners are out there and they're quite loyal. Techno, however, will never be fully accepted by mainstream audiences.

3. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    I live in the birth place of techno,Detroit

4. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Maybe if techno was actually music...more would listen to it.

Perhaps the reason it isn't accepted by the majority is that it is just computer programming and not real music. Thats just my opinion, no offense to techno listeners.

5. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Perhaps the reason it isn't accepted by the majority is that it is just computer programming and not real music.

Almost all R & B, hip hop, pop, and many rock acts rely on studio programming to produce music; those genres are embraced by the mainstream, so I can't accept your point as the only reason.

I'd say the fact that techno music relies largely on instrumentals (rather than lyrical and musical compositions, which are then sung by a singer) is one of the reasons which keeps it from being fully accepted.

6. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

It's just another lie from the endlessly arrogant Eminem. He says things like that to push people's buttons.
    No wonder he is so beloved. (rolls eyes)

I'm not a big fan of techno myself, but it seems to be a fairly healthy musical genre.
    A lot of people enjoy it. Live and let live, Eminem. (that's probably not his life's motto, lol.)

7. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Most rock acts use actual instruments. A guitar, a drum set, etc.

Techno is one guy with a computer and a synthesizer.

8. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    No one wants to repeat New Wave?

"She Blinded Me With Science!" LOL

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    She Blinded Me With Science

That song is great, so is the video. Definately 80s nostalgia at its best. ;)

10. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

The line itself is ridiculous.

NOBODY listens to techno?

In 2000 and 2001 there were more
    downloads of techno than almost
    any other music category.
    Some of their biggest artists
    have been techno.

SOMEBODY is listening to it.
    Not me.

But SOMEBODY is.

11. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Eminem also talked about how he killed his wife and shoved her in the trunk of his car, if I remember correctly.

I don't think the media taking the focus off techno music is necessarily a bad thing. The media took the focus off punk music for a while too. It still thrives. Where I live there has been no decline whatsoever in the land of techno music. It still thrives. It's an interesting type of music and I've always liked it. I don't find them any less "musical" than Britney Spears. At least they have to use some creativity to blend different musical styles together. Britney just gyrates and makes some whiny noises in the style of a song.

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Lots of people listen to techno, as you mentioned its mostly "club kids" or others associated with that scene, but I don't think thats all.

When artist start gaining main stream exceptance it always brings more into the fold. Maybe Moby and Fatboy slim are getting all of the press but their high sells lead to other artist's high sales.

Also I think that the "harder" techno will also have its day in the sun, where I live the music stores are constantly playing techno, Bad Boy Bill, Frankie Bones, and Desil Boy play right along side other popular bands.

13. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Techno, more accurately "dance" music, IS in the mainstream here in Britain. Believe me, you guys just don't want to hear the techno stuff here. I like guys like the Chemical Brothers and Prodigy, but thats because they come up with new and original stuff all the time, and they incorporate actual insturments into their sound. The majourity of techno music is just continuos rehashed, re packaged dribble that appeals to people that have trouble spelling their own name. As long as it has a beat and electronic noise in it, they're happy!

14. Darth Shaft

Darth Shaft Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 1999
    For the record, I am 26 and definitely not a club kid. I rarely go out to clubs anymore, but the music that I listen to more and more in my daily life is techno...more specifically trance...or 'dance music.' When I was younger, I was an alt-rock elitist. This has gone by the wayside, and I do all that I can to introduce people to this type of music. Everyone that I do introduce it to can't believe what tehy find. It's the only style of music that can have different types of emotion behind it - If you want aggressive, or chill-out, or party, or what have you, it can be found under the 'techno' banner.

15. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Techno, more accurately "dance" music, IS in the mainstream here in Britain. Believe me, you guys just don't want to hear the techno stuff here.

That was one of the cool little things I noticed on my trip to Europe. Every bus, train, and plane had a techno station. None of the US equivilants did. I rather liked it too. I didn't go to England though, I really liked the stuff in Germany.

16. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Believe me, most of it is just faceless, talentless... crap! It truely is extremely hard to distinguish songs from one another, and the "artists" are constantly stealing from one another.

To whomever said that any kind of emotion can be found within techno music, thats true of ALL, or at least most music.

17. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Well there's obviously plenty of divergence of opinion about techno on this thread and there's nothing wrong with that, that's healthy discussion.

The one thing that IS clear from this thread is that Eminem is DEAD wrong. Plenty of people listen to techno. I think HIS problem with people listening to techno is that anyone listening to it is NOT listening to him, and that scares him. He wants the whole planet to listen to him.

Unfortunately Marshall, I'm busy with Bach.
    :)

18. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Techno has been around for ages???

Uh yeah. It's rooted in ancient Celtic folklore...come on.

Of course people listen to it, but they're usually the same kids that huff paint while staring at a glow-stick.

Do any techno "songs" even have lyrics? I've been in clubs where I was essentially forced to endure this repetitive and souless "music" and didn't notice when the songs changed and don't remember hearing a single vocal. Not my thing. Guess I'm just too old and remember when there were actually musicians and singers instead of "beats" and "entertainers".

Boom-chica-boom-chica-boom-chica-boom-boom-boom!

:p

19. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Do any techno "songs" even have lyrics? I've been in clubs where I was essentially forced to endure this repetitive and souless "music" and didn't notice when the songs changed and don't remember hearing a single vocal.

Erm...I could say a lot of the same things about classical music.

20. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
  21. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I have noticed a rise in popularity rather then the opposite so, uh, no, it's not true.

22. Storm5

Storm5 Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2000
    Can anyone tell me the difference between techno and house music? :)

23. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    House is some form of rap or hip hop, isn't it?? Anyway, classical music has been around for many many many years. Techno music has been around since, what, the mid 80s? And the guy that said that when your out in some club, you don't even notice when theres a song change, and there are hardly any lyrics.

24. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    ...which is also true of a lot of classical music. If I turn on the radio to a classical station, I can't tell the difference a lot of times from one song to the next. There's also rarely lyrics to a classical song. These two factors don't necessarily make a music style bad.

25. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.