main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Nobody listens to techno" -- How true?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by RidingMyCarousel, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Techno hurts my head. :(

Anyways, it's closer to music than rap.

2. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    I disagree. Even though i'm not found of rap, i think there is much more emotion and thought put into it than electronic noise. Also, i have a certain amount of respect for the origins of rap. Rap gave people a voice that otherwise wouldn't have been heard.

3. alfy

alfy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    Generalizations aren't very accurate.

Listen to some Prodigy, then say there's no emotion in techno music.

They have lyrics in most of their songs, although usually pretty sparsely, and they have better hooks and more impressive orchestration than alot of more "real" music.

Good techno is powerful music. Besides, musical arguments be damned, nothing makes one feel cooler than rolling down the windows, and blaring some Prodigy while you drive. It's just *strong* music.

I can't defend other techno though, as I'm less familiar with it. Prodigy may be the exception to the rule, judging from their popularity back in the day.

4. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Techno hurts my head.

Anyways, it's closer to music than rap.

You know, just because you don't like it does not mean that it isn't a form of music. Name me 5 techno artists that you have actually listend too and payed attention to the music? Can't do it? Then who are you too judge the style huh? Same with Rap, name me 5 different types of Rappers that you have listened too.

(for clarity, when we talk about Rap, Ja Rule, Fat Joe and Nelly are considered 1 rapper. so if you have listend to 5 of those kind of rappers then you still don't know what you are talking about.)

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Eminem made the reference to techno in terms of Moby. I hardly consider tracks like "We are all made of stars" to be techno, that's moving towards a ballad or even (gasp) pop.

The thing is, there are many different types of electronic music that the uninitiated throw into one category that has interchangable names. Techno, trance, dance and house are all similar genres, but they are different styles of music. You'll find dance music often has lyrics and it actually has a discernable melody. (To anyone who doesn't believe me, listen to anything by Tina Cousins.) Techno and trance are sort of "heavier" than dance music, and SOMETIMES don't have lyrics, but they do have at least a riff and alternating sections in their pieces, in other words key parts of music. (Once again, listen to Adelante by Sash! and tell me that's not music.)

To those who don't listen to it much, the electronic music genre can all sound similar, but the really good stuff you don't hear unless you're actually looking for it. Mainstream electronica generally ends up being stuff that all sounds the same, sadly. Of course, I could say the same about mainstream rock.

6. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    I agree with you about the mainstream rock thing. Mainstream rock is god awful and all too similar.

7. Gaudior

Gaudior Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2002
    I think the fact that some people can put emotion into purely electronic noise is a feat not to be taken lightly.

Um, I wouldn't call it techno, but I am a big Joy Electric fan. (They make their music on old analogue synthesizers, specifically. No computers. No samplers. No drum machines. No modern technology.)

What makes them different from techno is their focus is on songwriting instead of the electronics. There's no long 'instrumental' (ha) stuff. Songs are written on the piano before ever being realized on synth.

It's spiffy.

8. I_have_zam_cards

I_have_zam_cards Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    yeah i dont like techno and never will all it is is the same beat over and over.and the only people who listen to its are bunch of "candy kids".

9. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I've listened to Moby a few times, but that's about it. I mainly listen to rock music, like Pink Floyd, Blue Öyster Cult, etc. (I also like Queen)

10. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I'm not crazy about that Moby video where he walks around in a space suit.

11. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    yeah i dont like techno and never will all it is is the same beat over and over.and the only people who listen to its are bunch of "candy kids".

And only the people who don't listen to it would think it's any more repetitive than rock music. [face_plain]

12. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000

Hey, I can do that too.

Yeah, I don't like Rock and never will. All it is is the same Chords played over and over again, the only people who listen to it are a bunch of teenage angst kids in puberty.

[face_plain] Sweeping generalizations rule don't they?

13. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Everyone who makes generalizations is a dumbass.

14. Gaudior

Aug 4, 2002
    Breaking stereotypes is fun.

15. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    You know, just because you don't like it does not mean that it isn't a form of music

No, I can admit that music I don't like is still music. Rap has no music. Some techno does. Thus, techno is closer to music than rap.

16. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Like someone said above, GOOD techno has FEELING. It evokes emotions. Sure, some of it is just noise, but that can be said of any genre.

Art of Noise if one of my faves... their tracks definately have some sort of emotion.

And if it's lyrics you want, pick up "The Seduction of Claude Debussey".

And though I dislike rap, and most of the time all it is is a bass beat in the background with lyrics on top, I must admit that one muct have a lot of rythmical skill to be a good rapper. I just don't like rap.

17. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    any person can make an argument about any type of music. some classic rock has the corniest lyrics in history(double vision and amanda, anyone?). modern mainstream rock is a bunch of angst-ridden punks trying to say how much they hate their moms. all rap is the same annoying beat with someone talking really fast about pimpin and cop killin. country music is all rednecks whining about how their dogs got run over, their trucks got flat tires, and their wives left them. pop music is all kids saying they are looking for the love of their lives at age 15. heavy metal is the mainstream rock rejects trying to one-up those that make money by doing it harder. punk is mainstream rock rejects that don't want to be classified as anything, so they mix all of the above in an attempt to be creative that fails miserably. techno is computer generated crap that only extacy users enjoy.

i like most of the above styles of music. i have heard generalizations about all types of music. i disagree with them all. eminem seems to be saying nobody important listens to techno, IMO. so i'm a nobody. oh well. [face_plain]

18. Gaudior

Aug 4, 2002
    And that's why I stay away from mainstream. I prefer the underground bands; why is it that the little-known artists always have the best music?

Wait, why am I asking that, I know the answer already. It's because the world is stupid.

19. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't think underground is necessarily always better, it's just that mainstream is so thrown in your face that you tend to enjoy it less. That's how it is for me, at least.

20. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Too many individual singers (Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, etc.) do covers of classic songs that were sung by bands.

Well, there are too many covers and lyric and music stealing going on nowadays. Write your own music. [face_plain]

21. Sith Vicious

Sith Vicious Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    There are techno and rap DJs that have produced albums that merit consideration among the best music made in the last twenty years. You're just not seeing/hearing them as MTV/radio feed you Jay-Z, Puffy, and cohorts.

What do the people who believe that rap sucks think of the Beastie Boys?

22. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Well, some of the music I listen to would be fall under techno...more specifically drum and bass and a teeny bit of gabber. Anyhow, techno is not dead...I would think Eminem probably just said that as a joke and it could also have something to do with the fact that he comes from Detroit. I don't know the context so I can't say for sure.

I would say that the majority of people who can't get into any kind of techno can't because of the frequent lack of vocals. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with people who don't like it because there are no vocals, but that is most likely the case...if something doesn't have lyrics people tend to see it as background music...as if it's missing something.

Another reason some people don't like it is because it's "too repetitive." Now, of course, a lot of techno is not repetitive...but I would say the songs that are that way...are for a reason...it's music that's meant to be danced to. Hence a mostly unchanging dancable beat.

I've heard here and elsewhere that it's "not real music." because of the fact that sometimes things that are not traditional musical instruments are used to create it. Well, all you can really say to that is different strokes people...you think the sound of a guitar is pleasing...maybe I think the sound of a turntable is pleasing, ya know?

23. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Also, trance is repetitive because it's meant to be calming, like a heartbeat. If you listen to it long enough you get drawn in a bit and you can hear the more subtle changes in pitch and tempo. It's very relaxing.

24. Padawan_Learner_Yoda

Padawan_Learner_Yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2002
    I listen to techno at the clubs. Would I buy any? Nah.

I listen to rap, but it would take a gun held to my head to purchase any of the mainstream cRap of today (Nellie, Ja'Rule, P. Diddy, et. al). If they're talking about how much money, hoes, and toys they have then it's cRap. If it's about social stratification and empowerment then it's worth a listen.

But back to techno. I forgot there is one I want to buy, the Run Lola Run soundtrack. Good motorcycling music! (External speakers, not headphones!)

25. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    I've never liked most techno, but given the choice I'd take it over Eminem any day of the week and twice on Sunday. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.