main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Nobody listens to techno" -- How true?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by RidingMyCarousel, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    No, I can admit that music I don't like is still music. Rap has no music. Some techno does. Thus, techno is closer to music than rap.

RAP HAS MUSIC. DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT A GENRE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Please. For gods sake, Justice System, The Roots, Spearhead etc they all play music and their own instruments. Justice System consists of a Rapper and a back up band that plays JAZZ.

2. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    And Moby sure played a lot of guitar last night at his concert. (Twas way cool.)

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    RAP HAS MUSIC. DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT A GENRE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Please. For gods sake, Justice System, The Roots, Spearhead etc they all play music and their own instruments. Justice System consists of a Rapper and a back up band that plays JAZZ.

I think they meant mainstream rap isn't music, which it isn't. IMO. Mainstream rap does suck however.

Anyways, to the topic. I listen to trance, it's a form of techno. For those of you who don't know. It's just more relaxing than some of the garbage they produce today.

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I agree with the F_I_D on this issue.

+1 :p

5. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I think they meant mainstream rap isn't music, which it isn't. IMO. Mainstream rap does suck however.

True for most part, for a few notable exeptions mainstream rap sucks. (Wu Tang Clan for example being one of these exeptions.)

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    If anyone has a file sharing program, try looking up "E-pact - The mystery of sound" interesting music. :D

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    "Nobody listens to techno" -- How true?

Dude, techno is the bomb. I've dug that stuff for years and years.

8. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Techno is great. I'm more prone to electronica type music, as techno can get quite repetitive. BUT--I still like it and listen to it.

9. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    Idioteque is quite interesting. It's a dance song about nuclear war. It's by Radiohead. Weird stuff.

10. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    I like techno.

11. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    DarthYama, you fool, Radiohead don't do dance. They're an alternative rock band. They like to experiment occasionally. Do not confuse their sound with dance.

12. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Uh, Radiohead is most certianly not some crappy little "alternative" band. The closest they ever came to that was The Bends and that was almost a decade ago.

Incidently, Idioteque is a dance song, (just look at the name!) and Thom Yorke and Colin Greenwood dance to it at every show.

The problem is, you're trying to label that which cannot be defined. Radiohead's limitless, and can't be bound by silly categories.

~PAd

13. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    Idioteque strikes me as parody, actually.

14. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

It is a paradoy (idioteque=IDIOTIC ;) ) but that doesn't change it from being a dance song.

~PAD

15. Zephyr Xux

Zephyr Xux Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 14, 1999
    Techno is just a form of electronic music; I consider the three mainstream forms of electronica to be 1)techno, 2)trance, and 3)house. Two-step, garage, and drum n bass (jungle for those who refuse to let the term die) are among others; and even within those there are sub-categories. I did find the techno I've heard to be quite annoying...house music is mostly just disco that refuses to die...drum n bass is just noise! :p

That said, I'm familiar solely with trance...which is much more melodic and euphoric than either of the other two. I'll admit that I am very deep into club culture; probably any one of you would call me a "candy kid" or a "club kid" (I'm so much more), but I have turned so many different types of people onto trance...and they all say, "I never knew that kind of music was out there." There is a lot of bad trance out there because the marlet has become so saturated due to the recent explosion of club culture in the '90s. So in a way, I'd be glad if the media took its focus from the club scene...maybe then there wouldn't be so many dumbasses in clubs and raves (two completely different places)...a lot of people who go these days (clubs especially) don't belong there...

16. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I just bought a techno CD by Ultrabeat. It's pretty good. Got the music in my head right now.

17. PaulSanderson

PaulSanderson Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Can't stand techno.

18. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

STACY-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    i love trance, techno, electronica, and ambience. they are very expressive forms of music. and who says music has to have words in order to expound feeling and expression? some of the most expressive and emotional forms of music were created back in the 14th-17th century--classical music that is--and most classical music from those ages had no words at all, save for opera which is not classical music but an entirely different and complex artform (i love both opera and classical). for example "Mysteries of Love (french horn solo)" by Angelo Badalementi and Wagner's "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" have alot of emotion just listen to them and tell me they dont have feeling.

~~Lady Legolas~~

19. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I don't listen to techno, here's why:

It's a form of dance music, therefore the beat is the same of similar for most pieces of music. I can't tell them apart.

Techno mostly involves synthetic sounds. I prefer the sound of live instruments.

Techno usually has no singing, so they aren't really songs but musical pieces. I can't get into something I can't sing along with except clasical stuff, then see the above point.

Techno has little melody, or have a very simple melody played over and over ad nauseum. It's not my thing.

I don't whine about it though, I just avoid it.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Listen to the Orb, Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack, Kruder & Dorfmeister, dZhihan & Kamien, or DJ Cam and then tell me that electronica has no feeling.

21. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

STACY-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    ooo awesome now i have the names of some more cool techno music that i can listen to. i love techno and its relatives but i do not know many bands. thank you for your help!

~~Lady Legolas~~

22. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I listen to techno and rock and classical and hip-hop and jazz etc etc.

It is music, yet it does have elements which make it annoying to the music community. Artists who take songs and do "covers" of them for the purposes of adding some techno beat should generally be shot. Somebody tried it with AC/DC for crying out loud, and it just didn't happen. However, the classier stuff (ie Moby's remixes/"covers") aren't too bad (look for his starwars remix :) ).

As for whether or not it is music, well, it must be. Rock wasn't recognised in it's purest form until well after it was established, "it's not music, it's noise" the wowsers screamed. Many people see this with techno as they don't want to distinguish beats, rhythms etc.

I once hated it. I heard some techno songs, thought they sucked and declared the whole lot as stupid. I was wrong. You have to look past the dodgy stuff which relies upon sub-woofers and nothing else and appreciate the skill that some of these artists have. Granted, not all their work is great, however some of it is quite catchy.

To state that "nobody listens to techno" is a crime. An entire culture and indeed a large segment of a generation (my generation) has been bred on techno. It is for us what Hendrix and Marley were in the 60s, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd in the 70s etc etc. It is the music that annoys wowsers and thus, its popularity thrives.

Yet it isn't just this that attributes to its popularity. The annoyed generations don't understand how techno relates to the individual. Some like remixes, others trance and others again like house music. Whilst I don't profess to be any great authority, I can see where each has its place and why it is popular. Furthermore, I can see why it doesn't appeal to all (some doesn't appeal to myself included).

But to completely dismiss techno as a genre is wrong. It is music as much as the Beatles were or indeed Mozart. It is a creation of sound mixed with the soul of an artist for others to enjoy - Music. You may dismiss this outright, however you must first listen around to different artists, some of whom have been mentioned above. Only once you have heard a broad cross-section of techno do you have a right to dismiss it, and even then there is probably something out there which would appeal to you!

23. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Thunderstruck by The Blizzard Brothers wasn't that bad, was it? :p

24. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    It was atrocious, but let's move on...

25. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I just listened to Massive Attack's Angel, and it is pretty sweet. It's still techno in a broad sense, but it's completely different to other stuff like Scooter. If anyone has any thoughts that techno all sounds the same, listen to Angel and The Logical Song. Two completely different sounds, but both still undeniably techno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.