main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Nominations for new Nth Island CR

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Do you want to start throwing up some nominations? Feel free to nominate yourself or someone else. When we get some names we'll make sure they actually want to be nominated (and they're over 18 and live in the Nth Island) then we can start the whole voting process etc etc.

OK i'll start:

- Humble extra
    - Buzz Bumble

2. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I'll second either of those, or maybe JP, mind you I know he's pretty busy keepin' those gamers in line!

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks for the thought Graal, but no thanks. I have enough on my plate at this time. :)

4. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Whoopiee!! Woo-hoo!! Yahoo!!

I got semi-nominated!! :D

Errr ... what exactly am I actually semi-nominated for?? ?[face_plain]

5. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I Triple thos Nominations(Can i do that?)

6. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I was going to nominate both those Ewoks, and perhaps the triplet: the farmer one!

However, having to vote for any of these three shall be very difficult as they each contribute a fair bit to this forum, but I'm not sure what else (if any) they contribute to the SWNZ fan club itself.

When do we hear the speeches?

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    they each contribute a fair bit to this forum, but I'm not sure what else (if any) they contribute to the SWNZ fan club itself.

CR's have nothing to do with SWNZ.

City Representatives must be (first and foremost,) leaders -- capable of organizing and supporting an entire community of city-wide fans. As a CR, you are there to serve and represent your organization. You must garner their trust and their support. They have to believe that you can be called upon to represent them and TFN in any capacity. They are responsible for the group in situations such as finances and contracts, and therefore must be at least 18 years of age.

A key point to understand is that CR's do not appoint themselves as such. As FanForce is essentially "for the fans, by the fans," we trust that CR's can, and will, be appointed by the cities themselves. We expect that this will stem from cities meeting together, planning activities together, and communicating on the forums together. FanForce cities will use these avenues to decide on a CR.

8. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Ah, OK. So CR's do absolutely nothing.

What's the pay? What holidays do we get? Is there a Health Plan? Do we get any freebies?

:p

9. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    you get a free blue name, all the title you can handle and you do it 'cos you love it!!

10. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

As far as I can see from the description posted above, the CR really does nothing at all (all that finance, etc. stuff it handled by the Star Wars NZ club), so I've no idea why SWNZ and others have said they don't have the time to do it. I'm obvoiusly missing some important detail. ?[face_plain]

11. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    OK I need to clarify something here. CR's have absolutely NOTHING to do with the SWNZ club. We are associated with them as they are NZ's only Star Wars club. FanForce is totally different.

I think the confussion may have something to do with me being involved in the club and the fact my username is SWNZ (named after the club)

The CR will be looking after the organising of any events (or at least be informed of what events are happening) Letting the right people here at FanForce know eg: those that post here. and particulary the Aus/NZ RSA (Regional Support Admin) who is Shara_82. She'll get any of our events advertised on the FanForce mainpage.

The other things are just day to day check up on the boards, if anything goes awry then you just let the admins know and they deal with it (we haven't really ever had any problems) and also looking after little things like the banners we use and keep updated with what the rest of FanForce and what they are upto. It looks like a lot (and sometimes it is) but generally it's managable.

I should really have posted this earlier, sorry.

12. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Sometimes I have no time to do stuff but generally I can fit it in. My issue with leaving is that I basically don't want to do it any more. When you lose your passion for something even menial little tasks seem like a chore and you just don't make time to do anything.

13. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

That does sound like it could be a bit of work at times. I don't even bother visiting any of the other Forum areas, except the Icons messages occasionally.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I know since I've been visiting this board, I've heard of some good events (Lego @ MOTAT, Armageddon, AOTC release etc) and I know groups of us have at one time or another gone to movies together etc. The Christchurch mob seem to be leading the way in this regard.

This is not meant as any disrespect to SWNZ by the way, but we've not had (up in Auckland at any rate) any organised events that I'm aware of. This is totally understandable as SWNZ lives in Wellington.

It's not necessarily the CR's job to organise this sort of thing anyway, only to be informed of them so the info can go up on the FF site.

I guess this is one of the major downsides of a "city" rep being in charge of half a country! :) And having a bunch of people too busy / apathetic to organise anything for themselves. I know I'm beyond the phase in my life where I feel motivated to organise others, especially people I only know from a messageboard. If I was organising a night out to see AOTC, I'd be more likely to organise it with real-life friends and family. And I'm sure many others feel the same way.

If any of the prospective CRs intend to be pro-active in organising FanForce related events or at least motivating us slackers, they would get my vote (and probably not have any guarantees that I would be able to find time to actually attend any organised events). :p

EDIT: Maybe it's time to consider all the main cities (AKL, WGN, CHC) having their own City Rep? Or is there some reason wht NZ is limited to 2 (population or something?)

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    That's a good point, as for me - I'm getting involved with people from this board down here in Chch because Chansplace was originally kind enough to pick me up from the airport and show me around Chch when I was a n00b down south. Graal too was very kind in meeting me and cooking me pancakes and a BBQ (Chansplace and Ena too).

it also gives me the opportunaty to get away from campus every now and then and i really appreciate it. Perhaps the whole Chch group is going so well is because of the numbers too - how many are there in Auckland now?

16. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Well the reason we only have two CR's is mainly due to the fact we were small at one stage. Actually when we first started there was me (I CRed the whole of NZ) Humble extra, Darth Sebious and that was pretty much it for quite a while.
    Then a whole heap of people turned up so we split to Nth and Sth. Chansplace came in to help out.
    I'm seeing now, and it's crossed my mind a couple of times that maybe there is a need for a CR in each main region. Akld, Wgtn, Chch. May be others too.
    If this was to take place you'd have to make sure there is at least some form of a group that has already begun in that region (Chch is a good example) and is willing to meet at least 3 times a year.

I know that the SWNZ has organised a couple of meets in the Auckland region before as there are a number of SWNZ members keen to get together but are not part of FanForce. This isn't an issue but maybe some networking could be done so each knows what is happening.

But I guess this is all entirely up to you, whether you'd like to catch up with people or not. It has never really bothered me about meeting. I know as a FanForce you are supposed to meet a certain amount of times and rah rah but I think i've just enjoyed hanging out on the boards having a good ol' yarn about Star Wars and anything else random we could think of. Probably the beauty of discussion boards really. People from all over the country / world able to chit chat about anything.

We have a nice little community here and I think if I had one last request it would be that the community continues to just hang out and enjoy a bit of a yarn.

17. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Moving here when the old Star Wars NZ message board moved I didn't realise that all this other activity went on here for other areas. I've always thought this was just a message board at that the Star Wars NZ club was best left with the all the other activities. It's probably best left this way too - which means we probably only really need one CR here to act as the group's liaison to the Force.Net / FanForce big cheeses. :)

18. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    when I was CR I didn't venture out of NZ's board much.
    A few of the aussie CR's are also fanclub representatives for their region, and as we don't really have regional clubs (although Chch may soon ;) ) that doesnt apply.

I just think its imortant to have a CR so that we have someone to aspire to! :)

We have a nice little community here and I think if I had one last request it would be that the community continues to just hang out and enjoy a bit of a yarn.

couldnt have said it better myself.
    I'm still keen to help organise events down here, so you don't have to be a CR to do that kind of thing. and it works backwards too, if you're a CR you shouldnt feel obliged to have to organise events.

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    SWNZ: If this was to take place you'd have to make sure there is at least some form of a group that has already begun in that region (Chch is a good example) and is willing to meet at least 3 times a year.

If Graal offers Pancakes - we will meat 3 times a week! ;) :D :p

Chansplace: I just think its imortant to have a CR so that we have someone to aspire to!

Personally, I think it's IMPORTANT not just IMORTANT!!!

;) :D

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey, Spelling-Police. That would be "meet", not "meat".

21. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

> That would be "meet", not "meat".
    I guess that depends on what he's putting in his pancakes. :p

> I think it's IMPORTANT not just IMORTANT!!!
    Maybe he meant immortal - immortal CRs sounds good to me. :p

22. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    sorry no meat on the pancakes, oh hang on a minute bacon is meat......MMmmmmm baaacconn!! and bananas and maple syrup!

23. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    So who's keen to have a go?

24. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

We've already got Darth_Graal, do we really need another one?? There's only a dozen of us here at most.

25. damolay

damolay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Yes we do need another one. I'm a relative newbie & as a (relative)newbie I've found that theres not much communication amongst Auckland fans. If Chch can have a CR, so can we.

I mean in the future, things may come up & having a rep in Auckland is a good idea.

All those that like in Auckland(just for the record) say 'I' .

That way we can all decide who best deserves to be CR.

I live in Auckland, but am a newbieish, & I dont think I'd be the one for the job,

perhaps vice CR.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.