Mary Nominations for Officer...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MuttandSolo, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay I mentioned this in the Nov. Meeting thread, but thought I would re-iterate and expand upon my proposal.

We will use this thread to open the Maryland Fan Force floor for nominations of the First MDFF Senate of officials. To get us started we will hold nominations for the executive offices.

I am asking that a nomination is announced and seconded (name and office being nominated for) and from there a thread/poll will be created to initiate a vote which will last for a certain amount of time (2 weeks I'm guessing) so that everyone has the opportunity to cast their vote. The highest number of votes at the end of the 2 weeks, or whatever timeframe is otherwise suggested, will become that official.

Okay here's the tentative list of officials to nominate members for:

President

Vice President

Secretary/Treasurer

Web Master

Lets hear those nominations folks!
  2. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I think we have to iron out the wrinkles in the organization:

President/Vice-President: I think we should have a council of 3-4 people for this position.

Secretary: This individual can take the minutes at the meetings, bring up any suggestions that were stated in threads.

Treasurer: I don't think we need that now.

Webmaster: I've already assumed this role a while ago. I registered the domain name, got the space and designed the site. I think we should also have a few people to work on this. For the past couple of weeks, I've been working on a new design. Once I get the design done, I can set it up so other people can update the content. We don't need a lot of people for this, maybe just 2 or 3.
  3. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright, I nominate Mogook for Webmaster :D

On a serious note: why do we need 4 or more people for President and Vice-President??? I say we get officers in place now and have them, whoever they turn out to be, iron out the wrinkles.

I know that many more positions can/need to be created, but for now to get on our proverbial feet, organization-wise we need these core officials now. Then the officers can delegate and distribute other positions to be created as necessary.

Also, I know we don't really have a need for a treasurer, but in the off-chance a "money" issue arises I have left it in the hands of the Secretary. That is why the Sec/Tres designation.
  4. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I think more than one person should hold the President role. I think it should be around 3 people.

For instance, as City Rep, it's my job to be the liason between member and RSA or other admin. Also, I have access to the City Rep board. If I wasn't elected as Pres., then I'd have to convey all administrative details from the CR board to the President. If I am elected President, then that doesn't leave room for more voices to be heard.

There's a small number of core members who post and attend meetings regularly. There's not a lot of people to choose from. I think we should have three people hold a position as Council Member or something (equivalent to Pres.), that allows these 3 people to make decisions together, to plan things, and to act in another's abscence.

So, I think two other people should be nominated and elected to hold the office. That way, I'm not forced to relay all information to a single President and also, I'm not the only voice of authority on the boards.
  5. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I still don't see the reason for three Presidents. As far as City Rep, I would think that the President would hold that title on the boards. You would just have to alert Strawbary as to who the new CR would be.

Because we have a limited number of members who make the meetings, I decided to hold the elections on the boards. That way people who don't make meetings as frequently as others would still have a voice to cast.
  6. BigBroadcastah Jedi Knight

star 1
    But Mutt, Mogook is the city rep.
  7. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I was staring that who ever becomes President should rightfully be the City Rep. Unless we want to make that a separate officer altogether.
  8. mon-mothma Jedi Knight

star 2
    Umm...if we have like four people who always attend meetings why not just pick the names and their jobs out of a hat? Alternatively why not just let people volunteer for the positions? I don't think you're going to get a landslide of offerors and those that do can rotate throughout the positions on an annual or half-year basis.

Also, I must say that I agree with BigBroadcastah...I thought that Mogook's role as City Rep was kind of a Force.Net official thing. Plus he's doing a great job, no?

M.M.
  9. BigBroadcastah Jedi Knight

star 1
    So what your saying Mutt, is that you want a new city rep? I'd have to say, if Mogook runs for another term, then he has my vote. And to give my perfectly honest opinion, i think this is your lame attempt at getting Mogook out of the city rep position and trying to get yourself in. But thats just my opinion.
  10. BigBroadcastah Jedi Knight

star 1
    By the way i vote for having a three person council to lead the group. Thank you.
  11. gh0stdevil Jedi Knight

star 1
    Uhhh. DOWN, boys. ;P Let's not get ugly here. Focusing on the TOPIC at hand:

Regardless of Mutt's intentions, his suggestion was to rethink leadership. Which begs the question:

Are we happy with our current leadership, which is (correct me if I'm wrong), Mogook as City Rep and Webmaster, and that's pretty much it.

Mutt obviously would like an officer election, and Kasjedi mentioned it too. Obviously there is enough dissent in the population to warrant a DISCUSSION (not lynch mob, or anything of that sort) about the possibility of changing HOW the leadership thing works.

HOWEVER, since I think Mon Mothma hit the nail on the head, I believe the City Rep is chosen by Fanforce.net, not us. That STILL does not mean we can't have our own board of officers, as Mogook pointed out.

So...toss out any notion of the City Rep changing, let's focus on what we should do about the officers:

1)Do we need a group of "officers" to better run and stimulate the MD Fan Force?

2)If yes, then how should they be chosen (public vote, private vote, etc)?

3)If we do get officers, how many and what structure? Mutt has suggested a 1 Pres, 1 VP, etc structure, while others have suggested a Council...

If we answer these questions, I think we can figure out the future of the MDFF. My answers are below:

1)Yes, I think a new stimulus is needed for the MDFF, it's been stagnant, and regardless of whether or not a movie is coming out, or a fanfilm is being created, WE NEED STUFF TO DO. There isn't any one person or group charged with this, so I think there needs to be.

2)I think a private election would be best. I'm scared that if we simply pull jobs out of a hat, and the "mass public" of the MDFF doesn't like that final outcome, people will just stop coming to meetings. Elections support the will of the MAJORITY of the people.

3)I suggest a three-person council - a treasurer, a "Secretary"-type, and an "event-planner" type. This covers all of our needs (money, keeping notes, and planning stuff), and it takes away all this silliness about "I WANNA BE ELECTED CHIEF BOTTLEWASHER!!". I also think it's rather pointless to ELECT a webmaster, since there are a very limited # of people who can actually DO the job, not to mention it's not like we're going to come down to Florida and hanging chads to decide who will create our website.

Just my two cents, folks.

Chris
  12. kasjedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay - it makes NO sense to have a huge set of officers. That would basically be no different than the group governing we are doing now. Completely agree with Pres, Vice Pres, Secretary, and Webmaster. I think we could assign the duty of "treasurer" to the VP - that way if the function becomes important in the future, we have someone responsible.

We can just make Mogook Webmaster - and that puts him on the board and he can continue the role of City Rep. City Rep for the FanForce and our officers do not have to be exactly the same.

Any of the four "officers" can function as the leader if the others are absent.

I nominate MuttandSolo for President. He's the one who has taken the initiative to bring "organization" to our group outside of it's initial setup (which I understand is Mogook's doing).

I nominate Isbeth for VP.

kasjedi

13. gh0stdevil Jedi Knight

star 1
    Errr...

I sincerely hope we are to vote on these nominations, as opposed to "Hey, let's have Bob in charge..." *crickets chirping* "OKAY! Well no one said anything for 10 seconds, so...BOB'S IN CHARGE! WOO HOO!"

Just my opinion. Nominations are great, but they should be voted on...

Chris
  14. kasjedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I also agree we should vote on nominations - we also have to make sure a person WANTS to serve....

kasjedi
  15. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Before I respond to the various items, I would just like to state that no hostilities toward the City Rep were intended by myself. Therefore I did not appreciate the accusatorial backlash I received. It was unwarranted and unnecessary.

As far as elections, I do agree that we need nominations then an election. That is what this thread was intended for: to post your public nomination of members to the offices established. We can proceed in a number of directions as far as this is concerned.

1. We make our nominations here. Separate threads will be created that will include a poll with names of nominees for each position. No responses are requird in these threads, just that you cast a vote. At the end of, say a 1-week timeframe, the member with the highest number of votes will be the officer of that position.

2. After we make nominations, we vote by Private Message. Strawbary, our RSA, has offered to be the recepient of these PM's and would be responsible for announcing the new officers. This would keep the election completely fair as Strawbary is an impartial party.

And, to respond to the suggestion of term limits. I agree that we should set limits to either annual, semi-annual, or longer (i.e. 18-month term?)

I will forego the argument about what officer should be the CR and leave that post as it stands. I was only basing my ideas on what other FanForces are doing and the President is usually the CR. The individual chapters vote for their City Reps; they are not assigned by TFN.

I don't have time to post it now, but will post either later tonight or tomorrow, but Strawbary has sent me some files of how other FF's have structured their groups. Like I said I don't have time to post it now, but will post it soon for all to see.
  16. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I suggest a three-person council - a treasurer, a "Secretary"-type, and an "event-planner" type. This covers all of our needs (money, keeping notes, and planning stuff), and it takes away all this silliness about "I WANNA BE ELECTED CHIEF BOTTLEWASHER!!". I also think it's rather pointless to ELECT a webmaster, since there are a very limited # of people who can actually DO the job, not to mention it's not like we're going to come down to Florida and hanging chads to decide who will create our website.

I agree with all this. The amount of members here has decreased and that doesn't leave a lot of competition for officers. I really like gh0stdevil's three-person council.

I'm not sure we need an actual President, or Vice-President. Maybe we can have a board of officers. And within that title there are specifications. But to the other members, these 3 or 4 people are on the "Board." This is kind of like the Senator idea that's been posted before. The different officers are like Senators of the job. But, there wouldn't be a Supreme Chancellor. So, there would be a Treasurer (if needed), Secretary, Event-Planner, and Web-Team (maybe). That would be all the positions. And if it's voiced that we need a President-like role, I'd like it to be more than one person. We have a few members here that have posted a lot, came to many meetings, have helped develop ideas, and been here in the beginning. I think they should be rewarded.
  17. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    The following was sent to me by Strawbary regarding the Governing Guidlines of a FanForce. This is actively in use by several of the Chapters today....

Governing Guidelines
    Based upon the Chapter's mission statement, our primary purpose is to give back to our community through children's charities. Because we are a voluntary group and are not incorporated as a non-profit there are certain issues we must be cognizant of as we carry out the group's activities.

Chapter is purely voluntary. Our main contribution is TIME. No money shall ever pass through our hands in the way of donations from any individual, group or corporation. If someone would like to make a donation, they will be
    told to send the money directly to the charity. If requested to do so, we will graciously present the check already made out to the charity.

We will strive to treat each other and everyone we meet with respect, kindness and consideration.

We will resolve conflict constructively by addressing the issue directly with the Chapter leadership or the individual

We will be mindful of our conduct when officially representing the chapter in public.

We will strive to promote friendship among the members of our Chapter as well as the greater national FanForce.

Chapter members and/or leadership will never accept payment for appearing in costume at any event officially sanctioned by the Chapter. Accepting payment violates LucasFilm and licensing laws.

Chapter will accept donations of toys to distribute at hospitals and provide an accounting to the donor.

If requested to appear in costume at a non-charity related event, excluding conventions and parades, the requester will be asked to donate a sum of their choosing in the Chapter's name to a children's charity of the Chapter's choosing.

Chapter members will be asked to contribute to the cost of maintaining the Chapter URL domain name registration once a year at the time of renewal.

Chapter members will be required to purchase a Chapter shirt to wear at official Chapter non-costumed public events.
  18. Boo-Bary Jedi Padawan

Hey guys! Just popping in to add a friendly suggestion. Alot of the chapters run with a "council" you may want to talk to some of the other chapters who have it in affect already.
    SWNYC has a council and a CR ,so does pittsburgh and KofP. The pres is not the CR. They do this so that someone can run the meeting when the CR is not there. etc.
    Councils usually are effective since it helps spread the responsibility around and not just on one persons shoulders. Which can be a big help.
    So my advice would be to look into how some of the other chapters structures are then make a decision.
    From my understanding this is not to replace Mogook as CR but to help him and to help the group grow.
    Hope any of that helps.

thats just my .02 cents :)
  19. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    The following was sent to me by Strawbary regarding the Membership of a FanForce. This is actively in use by several of the Chapters today....

Membership
    Membership level shall be awarded according to attendance at events. Charity events will `weigh' more than cons and public appearances that are not charity related.

Seeker
    o An individual who has expressed interest and has attended one meeting/activity or event, and posts on the forums

Initiate
    o An individual who has attended at least two events and decided to join the Chapter and made a commitment to participating in charity and social events.
    o At this time they should purchase their Chapter shirt
    o They must attend one social and one charity related event within three months of joining the Chapter

Padawan
    o An individual Chapter member who has attended at least one social and one charity-related event within three months of joining.
    o They must attend at least 1/3 of official Chapter social events and 1/3 of the official Chapter charity events within six months of attaining Padawan status.
    o Padawans are eligible to serve as `Member at Large' on the Chapter Council
    o Incentive (?): Padawan Chapter patch, Recognition on website

Jedi
    o An individual Chapter member who has attended at least 1/3 of official Chapter social events and 1/3 of official Chapter charity events within the six months of being awarded Padawan membership status.
    o They must attend at least one event each month for six months in succession, either social or charity. If only one event is offered in a month b/c of time of year, attendance will be waived with good reason.
    o Incentive (?): Master Chapter patch, Recognition on website, Eligible for Member of the Month

Jedi Master
    o An individual who has attended at least one event each month for six months in succession.
    o They are eligible for Chapter Council officer positions
    o These members are consistent and reliable in attendance; averaging 75%-100% attendance at all events.
    o These members consistently go above and beyond the call of duty to further the purpose of the Chapter. They also assist the
    Chapter Council as needed with delegated tasks.
    o Incentive: Recognition on website, Eligible for Member of the Month, Chapter Shirt (special edition?)

I propose that all Charter members through the end of September be granted automatic Master status. All others starting ________
    must start as Seekers.
  20. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    The following was sent to me by Strawbary regarding the Office Structure of a Fan Force. This is actively in use by several of the Chapters today....

Officers:
    Chairperson
    o Serve on the Chapter Council and participate in decision-making that affects the group.
    o Serve as Convention/Public Appearances Liaison
    o Plan and organize convention trips and appearances
    o Alert chapter members to upcoming events that may or may not be official chapter activities, but may be of interest to the group.
    o Act as main point of contact for conventions/public appearances
    o Share responsibility for new members with Webmaster
    o Act as Press contact for Convention/Misc appearances events to newspapers, newstations, magazines, etc.
    o Collect press about these events and post on forum
    o Seek opportunities to get positive press on the chapter.

Vice Chair
    o The Vice Chair shall step in when the Chair is not available
    o Serve on the Chapter Council and participate in decision-making that affects the group
    o Serve as Charity Liaison:
    o Research charities
    o Organize chapter participation in charity events
    o Act as main point of contact for charities
    o Disseminate information to chapter regarding charity events, logistics, etc through forums
    o Act as Press contact for Charity events and appearances to newspapers, newstations, magazines, etc.
    o Collect press about these events and post on forum
    o Seek opportunities to get positive press on the chapter.

Webmaster/Membership Relations
    o Membership Officer duties will entail the following:
    o Acting as main point of contact for all new members
    o Sending them a personal welcome email with relevant links to newbie threads in our forum, www.MarylandForce.net, and other pertinent information about upcoming events, and requirements for membership Advisors
    o Adding member bios/pics to website and maintaining the database
    o Alerting Chapter to new members
    o Serve on Chapter Council

All three officers listed above will make up the Chapter Council. I also suggest that the members elect a "Member at Large" to participate in Chapter Council meetings. All officers listed above will perform their duties and responsibilities for 18 months to get the chapter established. We do need to elect a `Member at Large' this Sep or Oct.

21. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    My last three posts came From Strawbary and are in use by the Knights of Philly and other Chapters on the boards. We could adopt this structure if it is more clear and defined for the masses. It would be great if we could hear from everyone, pros and cons, versus just one or two commenting.
  22. EvilEmperorJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    I guess I'm just considered a seeker, but I've got a question for anyone who can answer it: When was the last time the MDFF did a charity event? I don't think I've seen any posts or threads pertaining to charity events in the last few months (since I've joined, anyway). I'd be greatly interested in this aspect of the group and it would be something to get me to meetings. So far, I've only seen posts/threads for social events.

I think that it would be best to have people that are not only active on the board to be in those positions, but also have the time and commitment to fulfilling their responsibilities. We don't need people wanting a position for its title and then not doing anything. So, I think that after we establish the setup of leadership (I think the council format is ideal), we should first take nominations and/or ask who is interested in what positions, then have a ballot made up and people can PM their votes to Strawbary for counting. But make it clear that whomever accepts a nomination can only accept it if they have the time and commitment to fulfill the position and (in my opinion) fulfill the membership qualifications of a Jedi Master.

I'm really interested in getting involved in this group, but it hasn't been very appealing of late (with some bickering and low activity levels).

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Also, the people who are elected to the council positions should also have good interpersonal skills, primarily because these positions require someone who can deal with people in a diplomatic and level headed manner. This is not meant to criticize anyone, but just a suggestion for a requirement for officers.
  23. Dark_Jedi_Jim Jedi Padawan

Having only been to one meeting so far (the September meeting at Applebee's), I suppose that I would qualify as a seeker. However, when I first discovered that there was a SW FF group in MD, I was pretty excited about the prospect of being a part of this group. Getting to meet people who are into SW as much as I am and doing activities related to SW (or not) seemed really cool to me. I had every intention of going to the October meeting in Annapolis, and I would have been there with Isbeth had I not had to go out of town at the last minute due to a family situation that Saturday. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to post that I wouldn't be able to make it until I returned to town. Anyway, my point is that I feel that this group desperately needs structure in order to succeed. I think that it would be a good idea to adopt the kind of structure that has worked for other FF chapters. Perhaps discussing this matter in depth at the November meeting would be easier than doing this on the boards. I don't know, like I said I'm pretty new here, but I would really like these issues to be resolved (as I'm sure everyone else would) so the MD FF can get on with doing fun and interesting activities, SW related or otherwise. Well, I just wanted to throw my two cents in. Thanks.
  24. gh0stdevil Jedi Knight

star 1
    As a Padawan nearing Jedi Knight, I have to say:

Ehhhh.

I'm less than thrilled with the notion of having "ranks" of members. I should, however, counteract that by saying if having your name listed on a webpage, and getting a badge is enough to make you come to meetings and participate, then heck, maybe it's a good idea.

Also, folks, keep in mind we don't have to accept these things Strawbary is sending us -- they are simply for discussion and suggestion. Let's get some more opinions here...any of the more actives wanna chime in on things? Dark Helmet? Mon Mothma? Isbeth? Big Brodcastah? Beuller?.....Beuller?.....Beuller?

Chris
  25. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I think a lot of interesting and important comments have been made here. It's hard to process it all on these boards, so I think we'll have to discuss this at the next meeting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.