main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Non "Episode" Star Wars movies, should they open with crawl, etc.?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BigAl6ft6, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So, yeah, Han Solo & Boba Fett movies probably most likely. This does kinda go way back to my main point, would a Boba Fett movie, or even a Han Solo: Origins flick befit an opening crawl? Like Han Solo: The Movie opens up with big crawl "Some people just had a kid and now stuff is going to happen badly for all of them". Or even if they flashback-style the Han Solo movie, kinda like that Young Indy episode that Harrison Ford was in, opening crawl like "Han Solo sat in a cantina one day and thought about his life", etc. etc. See, I think just a plain-old not so like Star Wars stylistically regimented opening would befit that kind of story.

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm gonna probably say no.

3. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Great question. I think the crawl and things are synonymous with SW. So probably.

4. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I think the Opening "A long Time ago..." and the Star Wars Logo appearing with a bang is a must. I don't think the text crawl is necessary though. Just show the movie title and let the audience figure out what's happening. I really like the idea of saving the text crawl just for the numbered films.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I could see the "long time ago" bit kind of being used like the "Bond gunscope" opening shot. Like imagine, I dunno, "A long time ago in a galaxy far-far away" smash cut to BOBA FETT SHOOTING AT SCREEN FLYING ON ROCKET PACK, AHHHH!!!! Jump right into the action. Even a title card like "Boba Fett" with the SW logo used more like how it was originally on the logos for "Empire" and "Jedi" in the OT.

6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think they will take the opportunity to try something new, kind of like how The Clone Wars opened.

7. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    No. The crawl is for the main saga.

However I do think that every Star Wars movie should open with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

Graphic likes this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    The OP raises an interesting question. I'm so very fond of the opening crawl with fanfare, but I could see stand-alone films opening in other ways, for sure.

One thing I do know for certain is that I'd like to see each and every Star Wars film carry on with the tradition of eschewing opening, on-screen credits.

edit: I'm with Jedsithor about keeping "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

9. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    They have the chance to do something new. So why dont?

Like the idea of an diffrent kind of Opening.

10. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I can see Solo or Fett movies opening Bond style with an action number followed by credits and title.

11. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Personally, I'm fine with having the traditional opening crawl for the spinoff films. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe playing a lot of the LucasArts games has made me more amenable to the idea - I mean, if the Bounty Hunter PS2 game can have the traditional crawl, why not the Boba Fett feature film? The only thing you wouldn't put in there is an episode number.

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    IMO - ALL Star Wars Films need to have an opening crawl. JMO.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think that the Clone Wars movie did it right in so many ways. The radio chatter over the LucasFilm logo, followed by silence and the "A long time ago..." bit. So I agree with some of the people here - "A long time ago..." needs to stay. The rest, I'd say, can be changed however they want to.

dolphin likes this.
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  15. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't mind them deviating from the standard formula for the spin-offs. They can keep the opening crawl, and typical cut-aways, and all that stuff special for the Episodes, and experiment more with the spin-offs :).

16. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I would love to see a plologue then the words Star Wars and the title of the film. The prologue would be a character establishing sequence or something to set up the plot. No narration and no text.

17. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I don't think they should use the opening crawl format for the non-episode spin-off films. My best guess is that it will be done in a style similar to TCW.

18. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    I agree that the star wars logo and " a long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." are a must. I'm less adamant about the opening text crawl to john williams score, however, i'm inclined to say that they should be kept for the spin-offs.

I think the text would be helpful in explaining to the audience what the movie is and where it fits in with the series. For example, we have no idea what period of time the Boba Fett movie will cover. People viewing the movie who arent diehard fans who have read every little detail they can about the movie for years in advance might be confused as to how He is alive in a movie after they see episode VII, knowing he died in Episode VI. This is where the Opening crawl would be helpful. It could say something like, "It has been 10 years since murder of his Father Jango Fett by the Jedi Mace Windu during the Battle of Genosis..." If the Yoda movie started long before the events in episode I, the opening crawl could start out saying something like, "800 years before the events of the clone wars, the Republic was filled with peace and prosperity. A young Jedi named Yoda..." Those examples are horribly worded, but you get the idea.

Since these spin-off movies dont have an Episode number attached to them, the only way to clearly establish where each spin-off story fits in with the rest of the Cannon, is to have the crawl. It would also tie all of the movies together. Even if the movies vary in content and tone, i think its important tha tall the movies have a similar "feel" to them. They all need to "feel" like star wars movies.

19. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Hell yes open with the crawl & the SW logo!

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I absolutely agree about the need for the movies to feel like Star Wars, and I agree that there should be something that somehow tells the audience immediately when the story takes place - but that could be done in a number of ways, ranging from voice-overs to just a little text at the bottom of the screen (or wherever) saying something like "The Third Battle of Ruusan, 1000 years before the rise of the Empire.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This should happen for every single spin-off movie:
    [​IMG]

22. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    There definitely needs to be something at the start of the movie to state when the story takes place on the timeline, I say just make it the first line of the crawl after the title.

On a side note, I would like to see an after credit scene in each spin-off movie to tease at the next spin-off movie, similar to what Marvel does.

23. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    It could be done other ways, but why not keep it simple and consistent from film to fim? i really dont see the downside. however its done, i think its important for the spin-offs to all deal with the issue the same way. meaning, the yoda movie shouldnt use a crawl, while the han solo movies uses a voice over, while the boba fett movie uses at the bottom of the screen. That would be destroy the cohesiveness of the films.

24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Keep the crawl and drop the Episode titles. It will be like how the original release of Star Wars was, and how the video games are.

25. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Yeah sure, why not?