main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Non "Episode" Star Wars movies, should they open with crawl, etc.?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BigAl6ft6, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    Im not sure if it would work the same in Star Wars. The only reason the marvel movies had the after credit scenes was because the individual stories were leading up to the avengers. Now, the aftercredit scenes in the Phase 2 movies will tease at how things lead up to Guardians of the Galxy and Avengers 2.

To my knowledge, these spin-off movies are standalone tales that dont lead up to anything. I certainly dont think we'd have an after-credit scene that would lead in to another spin-off movie. If anything, we'd get an after credit scene that somehow leads up to something in Episodes 1-6. For example, i could see an after credit scene in the Yoda movie that shows Yoda using the force to draw lukes X-wing to his location on Dagoba. But i couldnt see them doing an after credit scene of a Yoda movie that teases something in a Boba Fett movie. It just wouldnt make sense.

2. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I don't think it's necessary for the non-episode films to have the opening crawl, but I would like to see the logo.

3. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    It's definitely not something that needs to happen, just something that would be cool and create a little buzz for the next spin-off movie. I don't necessarily think it has to make sense or relate to the movie it is attached to, that's why it would be shown after the credits and not during the movie. It doesn't even have to be a scene, it could just be a quick teaser trailer for the next spin off movie.

I see what you're saying though, it would work better if there was a spin-off trilogy and the after credit scene set up the next movie in the trilogy, but it wouldn't bother me if one stand alone film had a after credit scene for another random stand alone film.

4. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    They should ONLY have the crawl style opening with Trilogies.

5. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think keeping the opening crawls for any spin-offs would be a good idea. They're a quick and easy way to get the audience up to speed.

6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    The openings should be the same for all Star Wars films, spin-offs or not. The crawl is like the "letterhead". Like the "corporate logo".

Just think about it: no other movie on earth could do it because people would be like "do you believe that movie? they totally ripped off Star Wars with an opening crawl!" So if Star Wars movies are the only movies "allowed" or expected to have a crawl, why not? So everyone is saying through the history of film-making only "9" films will have the crawl (EP1 through EP9)?

As for TCW, I believe one of the reasons to go with the narration was because you only have 24 minutes an episode to get your point across versus 120+ minutes. Also smaller children would have a harder time reading the crawl.

For SW spin off TV shows that are an hour or less, I'm all for something else, but for 2hour movies, the crawl is a must..

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Does anyone else dislike the term "opening crawl"?

8. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The precedent has already been set with The Clone Wars movie. Begin as all Star Wars movies must - "A long time ago..." then have the logo for that particular movie appear and fall back into space, accompanied by a version of the Main Title, it's tone dependent on tone of the movie (Clone Wars version has a military feel to it, a Sith Lord version might have an eerie feel to the theme, a Yoda version would have a soft, easy feel etc) and instead of a crawl, have a narration if appropriate and no narration if not.

9. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    There is something ominous about it.

10. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Any live action film that has star wars in it's title has to have an opening crawl. Just like every Keanu reeves character has to dull, boring and exactly the same.

11. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    ok, how about these? Should the spin-offs
    1) inclue the wilhelm scream
    2) have a character say, "i've got a bad feeling about this"

How awesome would it be to hear Bobba fett say that line? Or Yoda, "bad feeling about this, i have"

12. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think the opinion crawl should remain, I mean even the video games have their own opening crawl. At least have the "A long time ago in a galaxy far,far, away" and Star Wars logo.

13. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I agree.

14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would like there to be a crawl. It's part of the experience.

15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Yes. TCW movie was not supposed to be a movie. It was a few tv episodes thrown together to be a film at the last second

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd actually prefer if they didn't. It would kind of help set the spinoffs apart from the main saga...

17. Snydbo

Snydbo Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.....STAR WARS: Boba Fett
    ~crawl~
    Shortly after Han Solo dumped a shipment
    of spice in route to Tatooine, Jabba the Hutt
    commissioned the Mandalorian hunter to
    retrieve the shipment and bring the cylinders
    of any Imperial officer who stood in his path.
    Fett has tracked the shipment to an oribtal space
    station just outside the Kessel System....

(Que Slave 1 departure from hyperspace, follow ship, pan down on the station with the Kessel run, Kessel and its moons in the background.....)

Just sayin...it would be cool.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kinda, yeah, only the 9 "episode" movies would make the crawl special (although, to be real, there will eventually be episode 10-12), just because, to me, if you only use the crawl it would feel like "this is a spin-off side-adventure in the Star Wars universe" and then "this is a full-out Star Wars Episode Number Movie". Also you have to think about the tone of what each movie would it befit a crawl? Let's say they make a Nien Numb roadtrip comedy ala The Hangover, that gonna work with a crawl? The crawl is inherently bombastic, so if it's an episode that means This Is Big Stuff. As befitting a crawl would do.

I'm not entirely opposed to having a crawl. Let's say they do a "knights of the old republic" trilogy, that's crawl worthy. Small side stories? Not so much.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" is a must, after that, do whatever you want. I want to see different stuff in the spin-offs, really go off the wall, and the episodes should feel like star wars episodes.

TigerCraneFist likes this.