main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(Non-fan film) XLR mic -> GL1?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Optimist_L, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimist_L

Optimist_L Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2003
    I will soon be filming a short (sorry, not a SW fan film :)) with a Canon GL1 and have a question regarding using an external microphone. It seems the GL1 has a 1/8" external mic connector (listed as 3.5mm in the manual, so mini-stereo I assume).

I have access to some fairly nice XLR microphones. Can I obtain an XLR->3.5mm stereo adapter and plug the microphone straight into the camera? Alternatively, I could hook the microphone up to a mixer and feed the RCA output through an RCA->3.5mm adapter and into the camera, but that seems like overkill.

Any thoughts are well-appreciated! :)

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    The most popular accessory I've heard of for this sort of thing is the BeachTek adapter. I've used one in my college classes and it's worth looking into. :)

Hope that helps!

3. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    If your mixer can provide phantom power to your mic, that would be the best way to go. It'll giv e you the best uni-directional (shotgun pattern).

Although, the Beachtek I hear is good too, but doesn't provide phantom power. Of course, if your mic takes batteries, then, well, you can figure it out.
    --
    Jamball

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Actually the BeachTek DXA-6 and DXA-8 can both provide phantom power. Thank you for addressing that though as it could be a very important issue depending the accessory you're looking at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.