main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Non Force sensitive members of the SkySolo family?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Jan 7, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Well, I didn't ask the question. I wan't even responding to the question.
    By the way, I was the one to come up with the whole 'force-neutralizer" thing.

2. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Wouldn't the Galaxy ever decide the time of Force users is up.
    Some chancellor who would decide Force users are too dangerous (they constantly cause wars).
    The Senate could decide to wipe out the Jedi Order and the Sith Order and make sure no more Force sensitive children were to be born.
    Yeah, I know know how it sounds, but just think of it...

Wouldn't you blame the Jedi and the Sith? They caused every Galactic War!

3. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    And flying bricks that can suplex skyscrapers are at the heart of the DC universe. That doesn't mean there's no room for badass normals like Batman and Green Arrow, or scientists like the Atom who use their expertise to do things that Superman can't. Superman powers don't make him good at absolutely everything (anymore) so he relies on people who are smarter or more resourceful than him, and people like Amanda Waller can get up in Supes face and tell him to pike off without being killed or humiliated by the end. Usually, when the writers aren't being idiots.

But it seems that Star Wars writers lately haven't figured this out or have forgotten it. Any Jedi within proximity to the Skysolos can be counted on to be good at piloting, slicing, politics, and fleet command. And everything tends to hinge on who's the best at throwing crap around with the force or fighting with a lightsaber. A Jedi or someone affiliated with the Big Three needs to be present in every scene, as if decorated fleet admirals or savvy politicians need one on hand to function.

Comparing this to the movies, Luke's confrontation with Vader might have been the focus of the climax of Jedi, but he wasn't really the most important person in the grand scheme of things. It was guys like Admiral Ackbar, Lando, Wedge, and the rebel commandos that actually won the battle at Endor. I got the feeling that the Jedi were only a part of a greater whole.

4. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    The point is there is an entire galaxy full of sentient and interesting beings that need to be explored. We have dozens (hundreds?) of books centered around the Jedi/Sith/Dark Jedi/The dustbunny under Luke's bunk composed of his shedded skin cells/etc. The Force is an interesting and integral part of the Star Wars galaxy, but the majority of its inhabitants aren't Force-sensitive in the least. And it's just easier to relate to a character that needs to think/work their way out of a situation if they don't have superhuman powers in their toolbox. As far as there being something to counterbalance the edge in having Force powers, I had assumed that the lure of the dark side was the downside of having Force powers but, at this point, having another character turn to the dark side is almost an automatic eye-roll for me.

Want stories about soldiers, smugglers, common criminals, droids, and more aliens.

5. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've read somewhere that the first Jedi was a Skywalker. Maybe we're going to see him in Dawn of the Jedi.

6. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012

And late night fast food drive thru cashiers. Their stories must be told:p

7. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, why not? As far as I can tell, drive thrus don't even exist in Star Wars. This is something the writers must address! :p:D

8. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Mirax Terrik likes this.
  9. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I think it is somewhat difficult to seperate, at times, the overt focus on a small number of movie characters who happen to be Force sensitive, and their offspring, rather than the Jedi and Sith as a whole. There are plenty of stories about people in Star Wars who can't use the Force, an astonsihing number of them involve Lando, Han, or Boba Fett.

I think that, based on what we see, the only area of the EU that really have a 'too many Jedi' problem in the main line Del Rey novels, which focused way too heavily on them, and on the Skywalker/Solo lineage in particular starting with the NJO. TCW has plenty of non-Jedi episodes. TOR is half and half Force using classes and has several prominent non-sensitive NPCs (Kilran, Karagga, HK-47). The comics have many branching storylines, and even a Force heavy series like Legacy had plenty of time for Gar Stazi and the whole Calixte/Korrde thing.

So really if we move outside the influence of the NJO-DNT-LotF-FotJ continuum (which is heavily influenced by Troy Denning, who has trouble with battles that go beyond small groups hacking at each other) the overt dominance really declines.

10. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Are you serious?

11. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I would have rather seen Jacen captured after not being repentant... and had the Jedi under Clighal's lead cut the Force off from him. With no attachment to the Force, the taint of the dark side gone... He now must redeem himself from his actions after having so much power but then being reduced to a common galactic citizen...

So Jacen could go evil, not be redeemed until he was "Silenced" (to coin a WoT word) and then from there be more like his father...

12. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    A bit like Ulic-Qel Droma's storyline...

13. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The problem with this is that, without his Force abilties Jacen is a rather helpless figure, and unless the Jedi were willing to confine him somewhere or provide him with massive public protection, he can't stay in known space without getting vengefully assassinated in a matter of weeks (in fact I'm amazed Kyp Durron managed to survive several decades of vengeful Imperial-sponsored assassins and still got anything done with his life).

Meetra Surik was stripped of the Force and had to run off into the Unknown Regions. Jacen would have had to do the same.

14. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Jacen lost his Force abilities in Traitor and he slaughtered several Vong warriors. I wouldn't call him helpless.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I was kind of going for the Exile like thing...

16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I'd love to see a Skywalker or Solo kid who had to grow up without the Force or the possibility of ever being a Jedi, while seeing his siblings doing it, and striking out to find his own place in the galaxy. A lot of potential there.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That should happen with one of Jaina and Jag's kids.

18. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    who's ania?

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    New Character... Legacy Volume 2.
    She is a Solo... That is all we really know.

20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    huh I must be out of touch I'll check the wookiee

21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I don't know how to explain Ania unless Han and Leia do the deed again.
    In the current situation, she would have to be a Fel, and I don't know why the Fels, being imperial, would ever let a relative out of the palace. At the very least they would keep tabs on her, limiting her activities, etc.
    And no, it doesn't matter that she is non force sensitive, she should still be related to the Emperors.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I would have personally really liked it if Luke and Mara had had a non-Force sensitive child. Perhaps Ben plus a non-Force using daughter. I haven't read Annihilation, but I do like the idea of a person coming from a family traditionally very strong in the Force and being blind to it.

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    She could be from the Allana line, perhaps taking the Solo name when she sits on the Throne before her child is deposed by the Hapans... Her grandchild is Allana hiding in a junkyard, she will take back the throne to Hapes with aid from the Empire, since they are distantly related...

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Biscuit_Baron

instantdeath likes this.
  25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Kyris.
    For your suggestion to work, The Hapans would have to depose Allana or her descendants.
    Otherwise, Ania would still be in the situation I described above, maybe even more so.