main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Hosted - Time For and Overhaul

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    "Nevertheless, the films are out there to find. It may take a bit extra typing and searching, but they can be found. "

Much like Iron Fist of the Obsidian Sith, I suppose. :)

"there isn't a sole.."

Soul.

Also, I think that the mods DID give you an answer, WD. They basically said that you are accusing them of being "lazy" and not updating (although of course you didnt put it that way) but the fact is that "TFN only lists movies with the permission of the creators."

"it is okay not to link everything the 13 year olds make in a week "

I wish you would stop your age discrimination. I am not 13, but you continually associate young age with crap. Stop now, or I'll start disliking you for it again. Sorry to come down so hard this time, WD, but this thread was kind of unwarranted.

~Neszis~

2. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    "Give me a break, it is okay not to link everything the 13 year olds make in a week but there are some pretty good films out there that have no reason not to be linked to. If we really want to grow the community I believe that linking in the non-hosted section should be paramount. I find it odd that you are defending the fact that we are ignoring probobly as many good films as we have hosted here on TFN."

Y'know what I just realized?

Homeboy's basically saying we need something out there like ForceFlicks or SWFanFilms.com.

Except, of course, those already exist.

They're called ForceFlicks and SWFanFilms.com . . .

Perhaps one of the mods could clear part of his issue by mentioning the concept behind TFN Fan Films as *not* being simply a library-style listing of films, but a showcase of major, very high quality films.

Oh, wait, crap, I just did.

Ah well.

3. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Alright I am sorry for bringing the subject up!

Nathan - 1) The 1st 21 posts had nothing to do with answering my question and everything to do with nitpicking the fact that I included Duality on accident.
    2) It was not until post 22 (Nicklong's post) that anyone ever tried to answer my question with your 'idea' that they did not have enough time.
    3) I am sorry I sound 'borderline irate' but all I did was ask why there arn't more films linked in the non-hosted section and I have 1 post out of 25 that attempt to answer my question and many of the rest are a little past borderline flame.

Neszis - Sorry man, I am just trying to do anything to make some middle ground in an argument that I am not arguing.

I just want to state that I feel a large ammount of hate directed towards me in this thread that I feel is unwarrented. I was not prepared for so many people to start calling me a n00b just because I posted a simple question. I can not help but come away from this thread thinking that next time I bring something up I might as well post a radical statement like 'Why do the TFN Mods think they are too good to update the non-hosted section? It is because they want to make us their slaves!!! oh... and duality isn't hosted here, what is up with that!?!?!' because at least then I would deserve all of this negative attention!

EDIT: well holly god! After over 24 hours of pointless discussion about how much of a n00b I am, finally I get a straight answer. Thank you for answering my question NathanPTH, despite your cynical attitude homeboy.

4. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    WD, i'm glad you got your answer, but for future reference, if a mod first tells you to do some research, THEN tells you to PM some people who would know, i HIGHLY suggest that you just take the advice without further question... you're like telling a lotus (car) that it needs to stop worrying about it's engine, but rather refine the dashboard compartment or something.

Cya
    Mike

5. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Can we just lock this eyesore?

Mike - It was never my intention to tell anyone to do anything

I openly and formally apologize to anyone who somehow felt that I was attempting to degrade or annoy them in any way as it was never the intent of the thread to do so.

6. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    "Perhaps one of the mods could clear part of his issue by mentioning the concept behind TFN Fan Films as *not* being simply a library-style listing of films, but a showcase of major, very high quality films."

This is true. So why does TFN even have a "non-hosted films" page?

7. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Not all films are in circumstances to be hosted by TFN Fan Films, but the creators would like the publicity and TFN Fan Films would like to support them as part of supporting the community. So, since, for instance, Legacy is a StarWarz.com exclusive (like Second Strike, actually), it's either not acknowledge Legacy, or do it some other way. The guys chose to do it that way.

The way we've come to understand it is as a sort of "yes, this could very well be a TFN Fan Film, but due to circumstances beyond our control, we aren't hosting the actual files" section.

It was never meant to be a SWFanFilms.com style library. At the time, there were enough of those out there. Of course now many of those are dead, but just because there's a void, that doesn't mean TFN Fan Films has to be the one to fill that void, especially if the time could be better spent on something more specific to the current site content.

8. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I dont know if I would call all of the hosted films very high quality or the best. There are great hosted films but there are also others that arent hosted that are just as great.

This websight is the nexus for SW fanfilms and I think that many people, especialy casual viewers, think that the films here are the only ones available. :)

SWmaster

9. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Then those people haven't "done their homework." Muwahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

To quote TFN Fan Films' "about" page...

"TheForce.Net has now formed the all new TFN FAN FILMS to bring you some of the best and brightest gems in the Star Wars fan film universe."

The links section also includes links to other places, including ForceFlicks, which is specifically described as "Listing 250+ Star Wars Fan Films for your enjoyment; plus the official trailers, commercials."

That doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing that people don't realize there's more out there, but if they're really that interested, they need only bop around the site for a bit to find more information about other films. Hell, one drop by the boards will clear that up pretty quickly, even as a lurker.

10. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Nathans post three up from this explains my understranding of non-hosted. And (un)interestingly enough no-one has mentioned that the non hosted section had a film update about a month ago. 'The Robot Clone Wars' I wouldn't really call that 'ages' and it was interesting that no-one on the boards commented on this at all. I guess not many people look there because it doesn't continually update :)

I don't feel it is a issue with 'lack of time' more than becoming a fanfilm database isn't really the idea of TFN. If people want to showcase their (non hosted) projects try submitting to the select section or the teaser section, both of these are guaranteed* 'publicity' options for your fanfilm, or possibly try the non-hosted section as a third option. As has been said, the non-hosted isn't meant to be a library at all, but as Nathan mentioned is films that aren't here 'for other reasons...'

*Obviously as long as the content is appropriate

11. Superchunk

Superchunk Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2000
    Well for what it's worth I've been trying for almost a year now to ask filmmakers if they would like their film's url and/or completed film to be hosted on fanflicks.com However it seems that I need to try harder in order to get my message out there. Basically I'm trying to catalog all existing film sites onto fanflicks.com and if possible, host completed fanfilms. I think the more websites available to showcase and inform the public, the greater chance others will see your film. If there's anything else I can do to contribute to the filmmaking world, please let me know.

12. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    AlTheGreat:
    I can't answer the question of "how much I get" any more than I already have... and for me, it's not about the money... Lowell and I were going to make DVPH *anyway*... the contest just motivated us to do it quicker... the money is a bonus... :D

And as far as violating Lucas' rules, not in this case... remember, the Atomfilm contest was an officially licensed Star Wars project, endorsed by Lucasfilm... so Darth Vader's Psychic Hotline is essentially an officially sanctioned Lucasfilm product for the duration of the contract I have with them...

However, I wouldn't take this as an excuse to try and make money on your own film project, unless you were *very* careful to get everything cleared legally, and I mean *everything*... you don't have the benefit of having a company with an official license backing your project... it could be bad for you and the fanfilm community were you to try it... (unless you submitted to and got into the next contest, whenever that is...)

Fenn

13. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    true, true, i see your wisdom jedi master.
    S'okay, im gonna make AOTClowns anyway, i was just hoping for some way to retroactively make back the crap-load of money im gonna have to earn/spend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.