main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-Religious Sanctuary Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darkside_Spirit, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    I'm going to start praying to you, and sacrificing people in your name and stuff.

No need for that. Just send women ages 22 and up to me.

2. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I think you need to listen to Blashpemous Rumours by Depeche Mode, treecave. ;)

3. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I'll take the 18-21 year olds, while your'e at it. Or as ender likes to call them, "leftovers".

4. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Or as ender likes to call them, "leftovers".

Actually, I like to call them women with fathers who would kill me.

5. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Um, first of all..... Ewww! Bad boys! Just to show you, I'm sending you ugly women, women with annoying medical problems, and women with terribly hygeine. Be more discriminating! Age isn't enough!

Cydonia, I don't have "Blasphemous Rumors", but I can hum the chorus to myself. He DOES have a sick sense of humor. Oh, hey.... I bet the Smiths' have a song for this occasion - yes! "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now".

6. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    The fact that my Linksys Wireless Router has not worked yet after six weeks of owning it and is driving me up the wall is starting to turn me into an atheist. Or perhaps God doesn't want me using the Internet.

7. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Just to show you, I'm sending you ugly women, women with annoying medical problems, and women with terribly hygeine.

Will they at least have legs?

8. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    No, Ender!

Greedo, I guess you have a better attitude than I do. But geez, everybody knows the internet is evil.

9. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Oh sure, a "Wireless Router." Oh yeah, I believe you!

Got anymore magical claims like "wireless mouse" or "wireless keyboards?"

No, Ender!

Arms?

10. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Ender, if they do have arms, they will be leperous.

Now, don't you wish you'd been more discriminating?

11. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    All right! Arms they have.

I shall call one of them Stumpy. Shorty will be the name of the second one. I just hope their arms don't fall off.

12. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Oh, they will, Ender. They will!

::cackling:::

13. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Well, I'll stock up on Krazy glue then.

14. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    I believe in wireless routers but I certainly don't believe in nonsense such as wireless mice and keyboards and I condemn to hell all who do. I heard the guy who made that stuff up made a lot of money off of it.

15. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    you are all hapless sinners. Beware of the judgement day.

16. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    Lads: beware the honey trap......thats how my uncles caught Jehovah's Witness

17. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    Well, both my parents are non-religious, and they have never said what to believe or not to.
    My atheisme came when i was around 8 or 9 years old. i dont know how exactly but that's when i started to doubt the existentens of god and it evolved into a disgust for the whole control thats dictated in the bible. Over the last couple of years it cooled a litle and i've accepted that some people need that form of control to have a good life, but i still dont like it.

I have read about 2/3 of the bible to understand why 1.5 billion people follow it, and i found all kind of contradictions.
    I have nothing against religious people,
    but i think thay should keep it to them self and dont try to lecture others about it.

I actualy got in to a fight with a jehovas witness a few days ago. When he heard that i didn't belive in god he starte dto scream that i should repent and let god in to my heart. I told him to shut the hell up and stay away from me. He continued until i threw a punch to him knocking him down. we started to fight but then he ran away saying something about me burning in hell for what i had done.

-Mulacki

18. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    He continued until i threw a punch to him knocking him down. we started to fight but then he ran away saying something about me burning in hell for what i had done.

Uh, there are better ways to deal with people like that. You're 16 so hopefully you'll learn that.

Just pull out a hand puppet and start enacting your favorite movie.

19. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Yup. That coupled with the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses don't actually believe in hell make this a very dubious story.

(Actually, I shouldn't even be in this forum, so just ignore me. But hand puppets are definately the way to go.)

20. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    They don't? I didn't know that.

Always keep a hand puppet handy is my motto.

21. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Maybe that's why Lucas has insisted on a hand-puppet Yoda on the set rather than using CGI. Maybe it's to ward off the Jehovah's Witnesses.

22. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    The man is pure genius! I find it even wards off family members.

23. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    "Jehovah's Witnesses don't actually believe in hell"? And there I was thinking they and I had nothing in common! I learn something new every day. :)

24. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    I assure you there is a hell. It's Portland, OR.

They lure you here with a "26% expected job growth rate" that is apparently based on stats pulled out of a pile of monkey poodoo, because the RESTAURANTS here are laying people off, for hell's sake! Those of you who have worked in restaurant will realize that's an unheard-of thing, because the turnover rate among restaurant staff is normally about every three weeks.

And yes, as you can tell, I just got laid off from a pathetic serving job which I took because I couldn't get anything else. Oh, well, at least I got this "Most Pathetic Lifeform of 21st Century" trophy from some good-lookin' young guy in a brown robe.... hey, where'd he go?

be right back....

25. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Another atheist here :). I was raised in an agnostic home and we never really talked about things like having the right belief. We did talk about deep questions such as the meaning of life. But my parents never forced their beliefs on me and so I found my own way. I realised atheism matched my beliefs when I had reached the age of 14 and it was time for confirmation. In Sweden confirmation has become something many do wihout conciously thinking of the religious aspects. But I did and I thought "there is no way I'm going to do this because it means I will lie". I knew I didn't believe in a God and so confirmation lost any meaning to me.

Approximately four years later I completed this line of thinking and left the Swedish Lutheran Church. But this decision started something of a religious "crisis". I suddenly felt strong atheism wasn't true for me either and I felt a need to learn more about religions. This resulted in me finding another form of atheism. I no longer criticise Christianity as harshly as I used to do. I have come to understand that you have to see there different forms of being religious and that some of those forms can be very enlightening. Generally, I feel more close to those who tend to read the Bible and other religious texts in a symbolic way. This interest has made me major in comparative religious studies.

About religion offering an escape from death, I'd say that is one of the deepest and strongest aspects to it. If there is one thing man has to face it is the realisation that one day one's existence has to end. Few are those who seem to be able to accept that :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.