main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-Religious Sanctuary Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darkside_Spirit, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I don't know. Apparently he trys to play each department off each other so we can have "enmity". He thinks there's a certain energy that makes you work harder to make the other workers look bad. He is just so wrong. Dumb philosophy. I guess our new receptionist could have been one of a pair. He wanted to hire two female receptionists as interns so they could compete with each other. Then the strongest would win and the other would go home. What's that word? Oh yeah: Lame.

2. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Cy, it seems a lot of people think negative energy is a stimulus. I think your boss's approach sounds pretty much like what Vader used on his ship in ESB - choking the officers and scaring them until they were so busy trying to look better than each other that none of them were getting much done. The lesson here, of course, is that even the guy who Vader liked (Piett) just ended up toast. Get away from a situation like that as quickly as possible, and don't let them stick a tracking device on your hull. ;)

Plus, what you describe with the receptionist is making a game out of people's lives. Jobs are not "ElimiDate" - it's not a fun, silly thing you can live without. Your boss sounds like a despicable person to me.

3. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    Good analogy TC. I know that in my studying to teach, the best book I've found on Discipline is all about positive reinforcement. Unfortunately I've found once you get into the real classroom it can be very easy to fall back on the negative reinforcement....

Luke: "Is the Dark Side More powerful?"
    Yoda: "NO! Quicker, Easier, more seductive"

4. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    Yep he's a moron. Still it's giving me a pretty good portfolio and i have a lot of creative freedom. I'm really thinking about just going it alone. But that's a whole other headache. As quickly as possible might be a few months.

I think the problem is i'm expecting to change things when that's not my role. I'll end up not leaving work at the office and thinking about it when i should be creating something pretty. Like now. :eek:

5. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    my advice to kids: stay at school and earn yourself bequests from eldery friends

6. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    LOL @ Humble! How true. If I was going to believe in a god, it would be money. And it would be a wrathful god.

BTW, just for clarification, I re-read what the initial post in this thread says: "Opinions/essays/articles directly criticizing religion may sometimes be posted, but the author is asked to be willing to debate any points made in a separate thread, should religious people object. "

No problems there. Any point I've made against Christianity, I've been happy to debate, as I know the Bible very well.

Cy, your boss considers himself a Christian, doesn't he? Hmm. Think the "subtle bashing" there speaks for itself. :D

7. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    He doesn't just consider himself christian, he let's the world know by advertising it in the magazines. Guess what the bible verse for our last magazine was? Get ready. I don't want to blow your mind. Ok, you've been warned: John 3:16! Whoa!

8. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Well, there aren't too many Bible verses about "creating emnity" to keep your employees angry and jumping through hoops, so I guess he had to settle for one of the ones about all-encompassing universal love. Too bad.

Hey, you don't suppose that emnity idea could provoke one of those workplace shooting rampages, do you? Nah....

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well my philosophy in life is basically "what does juvenal say about this?"

10. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    I see that the Religious Sanctuary Thread has been closed. About time too--who was it who compared it to "sending food parcels to Canada"? :)

In response to cydonia's question...

When someone tells you that they will pray for you to come to know their God, what crosses your mind?

Nothing in particular. They sincerely believe that they are saving you from hell, so comments like that don't really annoy me. It's when they start making a big issue of it, or going on about hellfire and sin, that I begin to feel annoyed.

He doesn't just consider himself christian, he let's the world know by advertising it in the magazines. Guess what the bible verse for our last magazine was? Get ready. I don't want to blow your mind. Ok, you've been warned: John 3:16! Whoa!

Hehehe :D "Subscribe to Christianity or burn in hell". What a pleasant and inclusive message.

11. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    I finally read though the whole thread (ok, not all the posts I'd read, but I've tried ;) ) and feel, well, like home, being an agnostic :) I am more of a lurker type though, so don't expect me to post much in here :p

I've seen that one of the topics long forgotten was about evolution. Best site in the internet that deals with it:
    http://www.talkorigins.org

I am a great enthusiast on the subject thanks to those guys. If you read the feedback logs, be prepared for a good laugh. While you are there, you may be surprised to check (if you dig enough) that every living species, including our gracious one, still evolves. Why? Well, due only to the fact that natural selection and mutation ARE NOT the only processes that can cause evolution. There are seven or six ones, and most of them we cannot control. It is well explained in the site. Get a dig.

Edit for spelling [face_blush]

12. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Oh, in response to Cy's question, I tend to tell them, "I have already known your god intimately, and I'm not interested." Then they say, "Oh, then you haven't really known him!" which to me is the equivalent of someone telling me If you don't lust after Tom Cruise, you must just not have seen him in the right film! Come, let me expose you to all his films, and you will be awash in desire! So then I start quoting Bible at them and showing up how much more I know about it all than they do, and they eventually get mad at me and leave.

Works for me.

13. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    I have met few proselytizer types before, so I have really very few to complain. But I know I would be really upset to meet one, because I already have a sister who has recently become a born again christian (she went in really troubled times with her husband), and she comes to do lectures once in a while. As our familiy is really loose in the matters of religion, I have no problem to express what are my feelings about the feats (and what you can learn about them) of Jesus and his apostles :)

14. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    It seems that the influx of new members has weakened the Christian majority in the Senate Floor. There are more nonreligious voices than there used to be, and many of them seem to be registration Jun 02 or May 02.

Has anyone else noticed this?

15. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    It's all been foretold Darkside :)

16. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    I think you with your thread encouraged others non-religous kinds to reveal themselves, thus balancing numbers to our side. Or the religous folks got afraid and run away :)

17. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Yay!!! The shroud of the dark side has fallen! 8-}

I haven't been in the Senate much, due to not wanting to tangle with religious folks, so I have not noticed this shift. But I will check it out.

Perhaps the new movie has also brought out a more thoughtful level of fan base? I mean, like ESB, it raises a lot of questions about right and wrong, what's really "evil", etc. If the films have anything to do with it at all, I think AOTC would inspire more philosophical people to start posting than people belonging to a dogma.

18. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    This is not very relevant to this thread, but we're kind of like a bunch of pals in here, and I just wanted to share this with somebody.

As some of you know, I lived in L.A. up until two years ago, then moved to Northern Cali, then Portland, OR. In L.A., I was rather well-paid and definitely appreciated by a lot of employers, and I sometimes got job offers when I wasn't even seeking them. In NoCal and OR, I was told I was "too confident", "overqualified", etc. For two whole years in those two places, I couldn't get a job at all. I could barely get temp work. Unemployment in Portland got so bad that I got laid off from serving at a restaurant (which is unheard of).

So I finally made my way back to L.A. two months ago in the middle of a recession, hearing horror stories about the job market here. To my surprise, I've had steady temp work, and have now landed a longterm temp assignment with a company on a hiring freeze - but it pays close to what I'm actually looking for in a perm job. AND the woman I'm working for said I'm welcome to interview for other positions since she can't promise this one will go perm, and she'll accommodate me any way she can. Plus, my old boss from two years ago asked me if I could temp next week - that was nice, even though I had this other obligation.

So my question is this. I thought it was supposed to be HARDER to make it in the big cities. Wonder why it's exactly the opposite for me?

Oh, well. My life is weird.

19. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    Because in a smaller city you seem "overqualified"?
    I said that being "overqualified" in a city is a situation that demands you opening your own businies, perhaps.

20. DESERTJEDI

DESERTJEDI Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Ok, Ok this may be spamming but, I also know this is the wrong thread for this, but if your anti-organized religion or do not believe in its inconsistantcies. I think you should at least try one. for example I found this religion, and my life is for the better, please just try this link. You will be eteranally greatful. ;)

religious enlightenment

21. Ki-Adi Bundi

Mar 3, 2000
    Really funny :p

22. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    DesertJedi, are you trying to force your pants wearing beliefs down the rest of our throats? How dare you! Go back to the coral reef from whence you came! 8-}

Don't force me to make a link to the "Attack of the Pants" thread. Hehehehehe..... My favorites so far are: "What would Padme do were she in your pants?"/"She would do her duty" and "You're in my very pants, tormenting me."

Ki-Adi, I have been working on starting an online sort of business. Unfortunately, the Attack of the Recession didn't help, so I took a break from it while moving. The problem, of course, with starting a business is that I have nothing resembling start-up capital, and no one who can loan me anything, so I am limited to "businesses" that have no start-up fees.

If I had this life to live over, I'd make sure I got born into the Bush family.

23. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    TC, that is so weird.... it has been SOOO much harder for me in LA than any other place I've lived. And my temp assignment is ending June 28, so I'm in the market againn :(

24. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    Everything is going to according to my design..mu hoo ha ha! not but seriously. Seeing the new influx of members to the non-religious thread makes me somewhat happy. I feel less afraid of persecution. It is nice to see another point of view being expressed on these boards.

25. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I forgot to mention to the Angelenos, we will be seeing AOTC again tonight, Friday June 7 at 10:30 p.m.

26. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    KR, a lot of people have that experience with L.A. Which really makes me suspect something I believed as a kid - that places have energy, and people have energy, and not all energy mixes equally well.

I'm off to go look at the Senate floor and see this increase in non-religious folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.