Non Spoiler Forum Brouhaha...Big Question Marks

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Fatboy_Roberts, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling

star 3
    So, anyway, one of our best posters, and better representatives of what the JC has to offer, got banned tonight..for nothing, basically.

I lurk around in Non Spoilers, and check things from time to time, and lo and behold, what do I see, but ternian being banned. Now earlier, in another thread, I brought up that the JC moderators sometimes promote a negative air about things. I know that's the job sometimes, you can't be sunshine and puppy dogs all the time, but for real, this was pretty obviously NOT the case. In all the threads in question, I've found a total of *3* people opposed to Ternian's posts. Three. And to tell the truth, they were letting their imaginations and their lack of comprehension get away with them. But those three were apparently vocal enough to drown out the 15-20 or so people who showed appreciation for Ternian's posts, his posting style, his attitude and his ability to drop little gems of info without giving a single iota of spoiler away in his posts.

Now maybe those three were the only ones posting, there may have been more PM'ing the mod, but I doubt the number complaining that they "might have been spoiled" (note the "might" because, of course, they have no idea if they have or not--and they haven't) because of his posts in the forum outweigh the number of people who appreciate his posts. I doubt it greatly. But yet again, as happens so often at the JC, the noisy, small minority get to decide for the rest of us who we get to read and who we don't.

Now the thread that got him banned...poor moderating, straight up and down. The posters were starting to fix it by themselves, both Cross Code AND Ternian had worked out an arrangement that people who wanted to be non-spoiled but let in just a teensy bit would have enjoyed. It was being worked out by itself, and was almost there..you had a couple people jumping in, misunderstanding stuff, and trying to stir it up again, but it was being handled even after that. Until Mara showed up swinging the big stick. There was really no need whatsoever to jump in at that point, it was handled, and the thread was bout to die it's natural death. But instead, Mara comes in, attacks Ternian's character, starts pulling numbers out of thin air, apparently ("you need only to look through this thread to see the large numbers of people not happy" or something to that effect--I guess 3 became a "Large" number sometime between this morning and tonight) and threatens banning for essentially NOT being a spoiler free person in his private time.

See, the only thing people have been continuously harping on seems to be the tidbit spoiler in his PROFILE, the fake quote he gave as a joke, to which he posted responses an entire separate thread letting people know the quote was a joke, and not based in any kind of reality at all. (another thread where people were joking around and had been having fun, being creative and such, working it out amongst themselves when Mara came in again.) Now, since the profile isn't a posted message in the board, I don't see how you can call him on that, because that's basically telling someone "you can't post on our boards if you know ANYTHING about Episode II" and I believe that's not how the rules in the Non Spoiler forum go. You can regulate what people post, but not what people KNOW.

And it also looks like the sins of other Spoiler board members are being visited on Ternian, too..."Well, people *might* do this, someone *might* say that" is this REALLY a valid reason to BAN Ternian, especially in the light that a)he's generally well respected on ALL the boards of the JC he visits b) he's followed EVERY rule, and complied instantly when he was asked to change or modify something and c) wasn't being disrespectful, annoying, mean, rude, or any other valid reason for banning. Basically, a handful of people didn't like that Ternian dared to know what was going on with Episode II and took out their frustration on the dorks who don't know not to spoil the non-spoiler guys on HIM. And that's patently unfair. So, instead of things being h
  2. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Fatboy, the NS forum is for just that. How is someone to know whether something is true or a joke? It was DLM who made the rules regarding spoilers, and so it is her interpretation that you have to live by. She is one of the fairest mods on this board. She had given Ternian warnings, they are there on the boards. He should have had the sense to stop and leave it at that. He was most probably banned for disobeying the admins regarding their policies. He was warned, he kept posting, he got banned. Simple.
  3. ami-padme Jedi Master

star 4
    If he did disobey, or break the rules...fine. Ban him.

But I've seen nothing of the sort from him. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but none of the people who wanted that thread closed have pointed out any actual breaking of the rules, or that they've been spoiled by Ternian. So, it makes me wonder. I really don't see banning someone for what you think might happen at some point in the future (he's a spoilee -- he's got to spoil us at some point!) or for the actions of others (if someone other than Ternian behaved inappropiately...why blame Ternian for it?). Again, if there's something more to it than this, I wish someone would point it out. As far as I'm concerned, Ternian has done nothing to desereve a banning, and probably didn't even deserve the closing of his thread.
  4. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    <Now, let's see. I locked the other one of these threads, so you bring up the first one again? Ternian, I have told you many times before that I consider these types of threads completely inappropriate for a nonspoiler forum, and have asked you to stop posting such material here. I have been too lenient in the past. I will not allow you to post spoiler discussions in this forum anymore. If you want to talk about, allude to, or even mention spoilers, you should be doing it in SA. That goes for all of you who like to post to these so-called "non-spoiler" reports.

There should be ABSOLUTELY NO spoilers in NS.

This is the last warning you will get. >

This is DLM's post on locking one of his threads. This was after she had locked the other, and Ternian started posting in this one before finding out the reasons:

<For some unknown reason, V2.0 has been closed. While waiting for DLM to clarify exactly what spoilers I supposedly posted, I am bringing up this thread. >

He's waiting to see, yet he goes on without waiting and possibly getting himself in deeper. As I said, it does not have to be that he was posting spoilers for him to be banned.
  5. Lord_Grendel Jedi Knight

star 1
    He DIDNT post any spoilers though.
  6. Lord_Grendel Jedi Knight

star 1
    From Ternian:

Hey Grendel can you post this on my behalf to Kadue in Communications::

V2.0 was the first thread closed. I PM'd DLM about why it was closed as there were clearly no spoilers in it.. I brought up the first version which was left open by DLM herself while I waited for her reply. She closed the first one with no explanation as to what spoilers I had posted in EpII. I PM'd her again about why it was closed. The last thing I see is her flaming me and falsely accusing me of posting spoilers. When I question 'What Spoilers were posted" she banned me.

Dark Lady Mara never warned me not to post in those threads before. She lied and the proof is that she herself kept V1.0 open.
  7. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What I'm saying is that before you brought the old version up, you should have waited for a reply. As to why the first one was left open, it would have been back on about page 5 and forgotten with your second version.
  8. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    This is not the right way of going about getting reinstated. Firstly, Fatboy_Robert's opening message is so ***damn long only those with a day and a half of spare time and a bag of popcorn could read it. Secondly, you should only start a whine thread when you are 100 per cent *in the right* without even a shadow of a doubt.

Your problem with DLM is open to intepretation and so provides a shaky foundation for this sort of thread.

And lastly, there is nothing scandalous here at all. Nothing to sink your teeth into- where's the hacking, the flaming...the scandal?!!

Poor effort ;)
  9. Chyren Manager Emeritus

star 5

If he didn't post spoilers then he shouldn't have been banned. DLM, please explain.
  10. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
  11. Chyren Manager Emeritus

star 5

nah, that's too easy.
  12. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Actually I think DLM is wrong in this case. I'm one of those people posting in the particular thread, and I've never felt spoiled. DLM let v.1 go on for such a long time, that it was wrong to close it down now. We had already had a discussion in the thread about what was allowed and what wasn't.

13. IwasIamyoda10 Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought Ternian was a great poster. (I didnt see what he did in NS forum, though)

I often thought he would be the next chosen to be a mod. I too, would like an explanation.

Sidenote: *If* he did break the rules, I agree, he should be banned.

14. yodaman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Although I don't think Ternian should have been banned, I'm not sure I like the idea of having non-spoiler affairs being aired out in "public" because I know Ms. Mara is just trying to do her job and I didn't want her to be scrutinized out here. I know she's taken a little flack for having a few spoilers get past her and perhaps she trying to make that up by "laying down the law" so although I think she's wrong, I can understand where she's coming from. I just didn't to turn into a spectacle but it looks like it's too late for that.
  15. green_cross_code Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm with you on that one, Yodaman.

It seems to me a sensible discussion is required, but the current climate does not allow for one to take place.
  16. Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Lost On Hoth: such foul language ;) So, it only takes you about 3 and a half minutes to finish a bag of popcorn? because that's how long it takes to read my post, and I KNOW you've got the spare time--I've seen your post count ;)

My problem with DLM lies solely with the fact she banned Ternian unjustly. Period. Of course that's open to interpretation, but 3/4ths of the reason the post is so (in your words) &#@%#! long is because I'm attempting to explain the situation, so there isn't much chance at misunderstanding. Unfortunately for you, I guess there isn't much entertainment value, either. My apologies. If I could fit hacking, flaming and scandal into the post I would have..but all Ternian did is abide by the rules, so hey, no juicy stuff. Next time tho, I'll show up in a goofy green suit and a propeller beanie hat and dance the macarena while on medication or something so I don't disappoint you next time. I'd do the bronze bikini Leia thing, but I've let my body go in recent years (hence my nickname)

Jeez. Critics. ;)

Anyway, to state it once again, Ternian never broke any rules, complied when asked to change anything, had his questions ignored, and was subsequently banned when he defended himself against a post full of inaccuracies. Why? What's the reasoning? What justifies that? Nothing even close to a spoiler was ever posted by him. And if the purpose was to make sure people weren't possibly spoiled, why were the topics only LOCKED, not deleted? If it was so important, you'd think the offending posts be removed so people wouldn't happen upon them, right? But yet they STILL remain. Why? Maybe because there's NO SPOILERS in there? That might be it..

Here's the threads, ya'll..go through em yourself

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1668652&replies=229

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2268607&replies=14

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2315653&replies=68

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2319339&replies=16

Peace,
    Fatboy
  17. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    Please don't do the bronze bikini Leia thing.

Please.
  18. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The main thing that seems strange to me, is that first thread was allowed to go on untouched for almost four months, 228 posts worth, then suddenly deemed inapporpriate.
  19. Askaak Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree one hundred and ten percent with Fatboy Robert's initial post. Ternian is one of the most valuable members of the JC. Not only does he abide by the rules AT ALL TIMES, but he starts great threads and adds to the feeling of fun on these boards.

Which is why I feel he has been banned totally unfairly. I believe his purpose in starting these NS Report threads is to give people in the NS an update on how EP2 is coming along. Not once did I see him post anything remotely close to a spoiler. NOT ONCE. And how many people in those threads said they appreciated the effort and thought the topic was a good one? Several. In fact, several more than those who thought it was a bad idea.

I guess my main problem with this is the reasoning behind it. I mean, you just don't ban someone for no reason. If DLM banned him for posting spoilers, how come I never saw any?

I believe whole-heartedly that this ban should be lifted. Ternian is innocent.

Anyway, that's my rant.
  20. Lord_Grendel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Please tell me its only a 24 hour "spanking".
  21. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    I will just say, unban him. I enjoyed his threads. I hope to continue to enjoy them, if not Private messaging will have to suffice.

--Joey
  22. Damillster Jedi Master

star 4
    Where's Johnnie Cochran when you need him?
  23. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I don't have much time, so I'll try to keep this short.

I don't think that Ternian's threads should be unlocked, for the reasons taht I, DLM, Mace Windy and others have stated. However, I disagree with his banning. I am not against HIM - I'm against his "non-spoiler spoiler" thread. I think that the reason he was banned was NOT because of his thread; it was because he kept coming back about it over and over again.

If this is not it, I don't see why he should be banned at all. But if this is the reason, it is perfectly legal for him to be banned. Otherwise, I think taht DLM is in the wrong about banning him - not closing his thread.

--Mr. P :cool:
  24. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Agree. That's what I've been trying to say. Guess I shouldn't write at 2 in the morning.
  25. The Mentos® Strikes Back Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll repost my 2 cents I posted in another thread in ns about his inappropriate
    signature:

"Tis the price you pay for poor judgment.

I don?t care whether his signature is a spoiler or not -- I DON?T KNOW. That?s the point, a ns person such as myself can only assume that the quote in his signature is an actual quote from Episode II. Thus, I am spoiled. Thus, a forum rule has been broken. Thus, he is a candidate for being banned.

Of course, that?s not the only reason he was banned I am sure. However, it?s the way I can justify him being banned. Not that I have to justify it at all. Oh who cares. :)"
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.