main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Spoiler Forum Brouhaha...Big Question Marks

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Fatboy_Roberts, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    well what if I had a screen name that could somehow be taken as a spoiler? Would I be confined to the spoiler forum?
    Like if I called myself

Luke_I_Am_Your_Father

It seems like it takes some common sense here for both sides.
    Spoiler people need to do their best not to spoil someone that doesn't want to be spoiled, and follow the rules, but the case of having something in the bio or sig was not intentional on his (ternian's) part to spoil anyone.

Non spoiler people need to take the stand that NOTHING they hear is valid.
    Otherwise, noone can ever say anything because someone might contstrue it as a spoiler.
    That's as bad as not permitting someone to say "Bless You" after someone sneezes in a public school because religion is forbidden.

(DON'T get into that debate here, I am just using it as an example)

EDIT -oh, I mean Ghezuntite. (I don't even know how to spell that one)

2. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    He's given sufficient warning.. if you click on his name from a thread. If SI sent me a PM, and I clicked on his name.. I'd be very annoyed if there were really spoilers and he's not being a smartass (Not looking!) :)

I coul;d also be accidentally spoiled without warning if I clicked on a name from another person's profile.

So.. by this, Spoilers in profiles are NOT kosher, IMHO

Amy

3. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Agreeing with ArtyEwok

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I agree with artyewok too, I don't know if there's anyone else but SI who has spoilers in their profile, but SI's warning is the only one I've seen.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I've decided to unban Ternian, but he is to stay out of NS entirely from now on. If I catch either him or one of his socks posting there, I will ban him again.

6. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    Sounds fair enough. :D

7. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Fair enough. There is the solution that most of the people were wanting.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    That's ok, and now it seems like the non-spoiler report could be posted in misc, so everybody should be happy.

9. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    The complete PM evidence. This is EVERY PM sent and recived by Dark Lady Mara in relation to this matter.

You will note that Dark Lady has spun a web of lies regarding me and what she sent me.

Unless Dark Lady Mara can provide me with proof of a spoiler, I think it is fair that Dark Lady Mara posts an apology in both the Communications Forum and Non-Spoiler Forum regarding these events.

Ternian

Date Sent: 1/14 1:41pm
    Date Read: 1/14 8:23pm
    Subject: Spolier Material ?
    Body: Dear Dark Lady Mara,

Is the French Lucasfilm Magazine pictures considered spoiler material in your forum?

Ternian

Date Sent: 1/14 8:26pm
    Date Read: 1/14 8:29pm
    Subject: RE: Spolier Material ?
    Body: No, they wouldn't be spoilers. I think the source is official enough. Besides, I'm pretty liberal about these things because there would be almost nothing left to talk about in NS if the spoiler definition were too strict.

Date Sent: 1/21 8:57pm
    Date Read: 1/22 8:31pm
    Subject: Non Spoiler Question
    Body: Hi!

Quickie:

Does photos taken by people at Seville count as a spoiler?

Ternian

Date Sent: 1/22 8:32pm
    Date Read: 1/22 8:34pm
    Subject: RE: Non Spoiler Question
    Body: Hmmm... maybe, but I'd say go ahead and post them because anything that stimulates discussion in our quiet little forum is fine by me.

Beth

Date Sent: 1/22 8:37pm
    Date Read: 1/22 8:38pm
    Body: Dear DLM,

I am going to set up an Official Reference Thread like I did in the SA forum but leave out any spy information. I think that might stimulate some discussion in there and also set about rules as to *what* can be discussed in there - if it isn't in the Reference Thread, it is classified as a Spoiler.

I'll have to do a little research to make sure everything is Official, but I think it will help merge the two forums eventually.

Ternian

Date Sent: 1/22 8:42pm
    Date Read: 1/22 8:43pm
    Body: Actually, we already have a spoiler definition thread. It's Paradox's thread "What's a spoiler?" What we've been doing in the past is this: Members throw out suggestions for what they think should or should not be a spoiler, and we debate it for a little while. The thread is a little sloppy and in-progress right now, but I will eventually compile it into a hard and fast set of guidelines for what is and is not spoiler. If your thread is specifically for the purpose of spoiler definitions, your ideas should go in Paradox's thread instead.

If I'm misunderstanding you and your thread is actually about something else entirely, you're welcome to start a new thread, but I would appreciate it if you didn't start a second spoiler definition thread that would conflict with the one I've been working on.

Thanks!

Beth

Date Sent: 1/22 8:54pm
    Date Read: 1/22 8:56pm
    Body: Dear DLM,

No; the Reference Thread is entirely different to that thread.

The Reference Thread will state characters, locations, weaponry, ships and other things that have been OFFICIALLY confirmed by Official Lucasfilm information in relation to the Non Spoiler Definition presented by the other thread. Official photos will also be posted in here.

An example entry:

Bail Organa - Viceroy and First Chairman of Alderaan
    Actor: Jimmy Smits
    Picture 1 - Http://........

So, while the other thread has defined what a spoiler is, this thread will provide all reference material that can be used in the

10. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Well, *that* was interesting reading.

Good to see you back, Ternian.

11. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Ternian, I am at a loss for words. I mean, I thought you made it pretty clear you were never posting here again? Mara had the decency to unban you from the forum, and the first thing you do is come here and complain about it and demand an apology? She did you a favor. She let you come back. She doesn't owe you anything else, and I can't believe you are trying to beat this dead horse. Please, someone kill this thread and leave well enough alone.

12. Ternian

May 16, 2000
    Obi-Wan McCartney,

Dark Lady Mara banned me under false and highly misleading circumstances and accusations based on these PM's.

I don't have to think of myself lucky, I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. If I come back I want to post in EVERY FORUM - it is my right as a member of these boards.

I hope you are never in this type of situation.

Ternian.

13. The Obi-Wan and Only

The Obi-Wan and Only Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    How were they false and misleading?

14. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Ternian, I have been unfairly banned before, I have even been banned for posting a spoiler, which is impossible, because I don't know any spoilers. But I looked at the reasons I was banned, and it was for some small slip up that I shouldn't have made. I'm not saying your punishment was fair, but I'm pretty sure you did SOMETHING wrong. I feel for you, I really do, but what will you get from a Mara apology? A sense of retribution? Isn't knowing that you are right and than Mara unbanned you vindication enough?

I honostly don't know who is wrong or right in the initial postings, I have never been spoiled by you and bear you no ill will. I also see that you were probably a valued member of the non-spoiler forum. It's too bad, but you played around the spoiler issues, even with the best intentions, and you got burned. It's not so bad, my buddy Hew is banned from EVERY forum EXCEPT the Non-spoiler forum. I also believe you said you were NEVER posting here again, but I guess that was just in the heat of the moment.

And I can't believe that this is the first time you have encountered unfairness in the beaurocracy of this board. It is a VERY unfair system, but it is the best system we have. I am glad you are unbanned, but don't waste your energy being mad, just go back to giving the people your quality posts!

15. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I just have one question, in the one dated 1/26 you said you wouldn't post in that forum again so why did you?

16. Ternian

May 16, 2000
    Dark Lady Mara 4/2 9:40am RE: Non Spoiler Forum Brouhaha...Big Question Marks
    I will copy out the post I just made to the admins' forum.

"There is no question Ternian deliberately disobeyed my numerous requests."

- Only 1 request was ever made. That was the closure of V1.0. Lie.

"This was far from his first warning."

- No, it was my first. Lie.

"I PMed him multiple times, once about the first "spoiler-free" report (which was of course laden with flat-out spoilers)"

- Never. Lie.

"once about the "Nostradamus" thread (which contained thinly-veiled spoilers written in the form of riddles, which are of course no better than spoilers stated flat-out),"

- True. But not filled with spoilers.

"and once about his behavior in general."

- No. Lie.

"The earliest of these warnings were sent out over a month ago."

- Lie. First one was sent on the closure of V2.0.

"Ternian acknowledged all of them, indicating he knew his behavior was inappropriate."

- Misleading. I asked how not to be seen as a Know-It-All by Mace Windy when I wasn't posting spoilers.

"In addition to my warnings, a number of other members asked him on several occasions whether certain ideas Ternian had passed off as his own speculation were in fact spoilers."

- Lie, lie, lie.

"He always laughed the accusations off, although I know as a fact that he was indeed posting disguised spoilers."

- Lie.

"After my three PMed warnings (and Windy's comment "Why oh why must you continue to post spoilers where we so obviously don't want you?"),"

- Lie.

"Ternian reluctantly agreed to leave NS at my urging - only to resurface again during my leave of absense."

- Lie and misleading. I stated I would lay low to let the brouhahah with Mace Windy settle.

"After seeing the shameful state the non-spoiler forum had fallen to when I returned two weeks later, I decided to crack down on spoilers."

- Nothing to do with me. Everything I posted fit into her definition of "Non-Spoiler material" as of this date.

"This time, all of my warnings to Ternian were made publically. I told him more times than I can count that in NS "We do not discuss spoilers, we do not allude to them, we do not even acknowledge their existence."

- Since I hadn't mentioned any that didn't fall into her new standards "Rules of The Forum," I hadn't posted any spoilers.

"I even told him TWICE that this was his last chance to shape up his behavior."

- Lie.

"I told him I did not mind his remaining in NS as long as he abided by the No discussions-no allusions-no acknowledgement rule, but he just ignored me."

- Lie.

"He started version 2 of his so-called "Non-spoiler report", which was again laden with spoilers, and I locked it telling him it was in violation of my stipulation."

- I had not posted any spoilers. So this is very misleading.

"So what did he do when I locked his thread? He upped the original Non-spoiler report and continued THE SAME DAMN DISCUSSION I had just told him was inappropriate."

- Lie. You locked my v1.0 the day you sent me a PM. The thread had been up for two days.

"At last, after I locked that thread, he retreated to the "Let Ternian Speak" thread and continued mouthing off."

- Lie.

"So, I finally banned him."

- True.

"No other user would receive so many second chances."

- Lie and misleading. I never recieved so many "second chances."

"Ternian doesn't deserve a simple spank. We have never had a worse serial troublemaker in NS as long as I have been here."

- I adhere to the rules. I am not a "troublemaker."

"I can't tell you how many PMs I have received from non-spoiler members complaining that Ternian was ruining Episode 2 for them and begging me to stop his reign of terror."

- I don't know how many she recieved but it seems they were all from Mace Windy or Mr.P. IMHO.

"After so many warnings given in vain,"

- Lie.

"I realized the only way I could ever get Ternian to stop posting spoilers in NS was to physically restrain him. He will re

17. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    Smeagol: he Probably changed his mind and decided to come back in, considering Mara said he was welcome to come back any time at that point. he IS allowed to change his mind, right? Especially after an invitation extended?

Now, the spoilers in profiles thing..

I think we're getting a little ridiculous, here. Once again, we're doing "well, what if's" and conjecturing and basing a pretty restrictive policy off that. I say if you got a spoiler in your bio, and you're PM'ing with someone you KNOW is spoiler free, you make sure there's a warning at the bottom of your post or something. That's just common sense, I'd think. But if the spoiler free guy just clicks on your bio after reading posts, that's on them. Basically, I like how SI's done it: If there's a spoiler in your bio, place a lil warning in the sig. but if your PM'ing with someone (and why you'd be PM'ing someone if you never read any of their posts on the boards is beyond me...) make sure you let them know in that PM that your bio might be a problem for them. I don't think we need to add regulations upon regulations for something that doubtful is going to happen much, if at all, the way it's laid out in some of the above posts.

Peace,
    Fatboy

(and DAMN this thread is long ;) )

18. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    DLM: are these PMs accurate?

19. Ternian

May 16, 2000
    Darth_Smeagol,

I returned at the request of Non-Spoiler Forum members.

Obi-Wan McCartney,

I have NEVER posted a spoiler in NSA. This is another lie fabricated by DLM.

Ternian.

20. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    Oh yeah, I forgot..

Welcome back, Ternian.

Peace,
    Fatboy

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I have to admit. Ternian has a point.

22. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    I heard from DLM that Ternian, you posted information about the scene that the leaked storyboards alluded to. Is that true?

That would warrant a suspension, because that is a legit spoiler.

Also some information about Padme and her role in Ep2. I thought I heard Rick McCallum talk about this in a vague way. If you posted these things, DLM was way more justified. Since they were edited many of us were arguing for you blindly.

Anyway, glad to see you are back. Let's light that Misc Forum Non-Spoiler report Candle!

--Joey

23. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I was just curious, I wasn't bashing you for it or anything, you had every right to go back in there.

Welcome back.

24. Ternian

May 16, 2000
    I heard from DLM that Ternian, you posted information about the scene that the leaked storyboards alluded to. Is that true? "

- False. Could she post proof?

Also some information about Padme and her role in Ep2.

- False. Could she post proof?

25. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    No she did not post proof, although, does a copy exist anywhere?

--Joey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.