main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Spoiler Forum Brouhaha...Big Question Marks

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Fatboy_Roberts, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Why would we even want people to go back and forth between forums? Do you think the SA people are going to be happy to do our policing for us when the position of the forum is that anything they do is held to suspicion, and that they're just callous people looking to spoil us? We can't have it both ways (or all ways or whatever). Either everything by everyone's suspect, or not. And I really can't believe that the only way to function as an NS forum is to be openly unfair to anyone who posts there from the SA forum. That's not workable, and it won't do any of us much good for very long...if that's really what people think the case is, we need to figure out another way to do this, and soon.

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Then perhaps as you see it we could have ternian explain his reasoning in putting the two lines in his signiture.

Mr. P's is an advertisement for his fan fic so dont try and complain about that again.

What was his purpose in creating those lines and cavorting around the NSA forum?

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Uh-oh, Yodaman has Jar Jar dialouge in his sig, it must be a spoiler. Ban him please, he is ruining my experience here.

"What was his purpose in creating those lines and cavorting around the NSA forum?"

Post proof that that is what he was doing. He also had that sig when he was posting in places like Community, SA, Communitcations, and every other forum he's ever posted in.

4. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    His explanation, as I recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is that it was a joke from another thread, about an Anakin/Padme/Jar Jar love triangle. I just don't see the diabolical intentions, from "parading" with his sig. It was a joke!

But I guess my point is that the assumption that it was a spoiler, and that Ternian was just being mean or something by coming into the NS forum with it, is a very poor way to handle it.

5. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    I agree with ami-padme. This really does work analagously to my witch hunt example. Sure by dumping anyone who MIGHT be a witch into the river they pretty much guarantee that there won't be any witches to haunt them, but then we have to ask ourselves what cost that guarantee has come under. Just as much as it is insane to kill all those people because they may or may not have been a witch, it's just as insane to ban any member who may or may not have posted spoilers.

6. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    No doubt..funny how last time the members were figuring out how to compromise and make stuff work, (like what's happening now) we ended up in here. Why? Because of what's going on right now: Instead of looking at the whole picture, people (farraday) are STILL using one measly example and trying to twist that and blow it up to justify the harsh overreactions. Re-read my posts (all 3 million words of them ;) ) and get past that one little sticking (non) point to look at what we're all REALLY talking about.

The excuses aren't flying.
    Fatboy

(okay, I'm done, really..)

7. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    But how is the fact it's a joke implicit in the quote itself? It isn't and must therefor be viewed as a spoiler.

Look at it this way, the NSA forum is a bunch of sheep(only an analogy for purity in this case not stupidity though you'll try to make it seem so) DLM is the good looking sheepardess. A canine is coming and it might either be a wolf or a dog. Is it better to let a wolf take a few sheep for fear of hurting a dog? Or should she defend her flock?

8. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Fatboy if you defend yourself from rape 99 time out of ahundred you still get raped.

Does that mean you shouldn't go out no but it does mean you should get rid of any necesarry risks. And ternian managed to make himself an unnecesary risk.

9. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    She can defend whoever she wants. The question is how she's going to do that. If it's by assuming the worst of every poster who dares come in from SA and post anything that any NSer might be the least bit confused by or suspicious of, we're going to have big problems.

And really, all that has to be done is -- ask Ternian, if you don't trust him, ask a spoiler person/admin you do trust. That's it.

Unless, of course, we come up with a nicely defined list of non-spoiler spoilers, so people know what jokes they can/cannot make, etc., etc.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Again, that's assuming that whenever someone from the SA forum posts in the NSA forum they have an "agenda" or are looking to stroke their ego. In the threads here I saw a couple of main SA posters, Ternian, Q187, and grendelsfork, all respectable SA posters and none of them ever did or said anything that would be "stroking their ego." That is an unfair characterization of the people who post in the SA forum and it will do noithing but cause a division between the two forums and bring about a lot of animosity.

11. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    So you're suggesting that shoot anything and everything that looks like a dog? Does it even matter that you're getting a bunch of dead dogs that weren't even trying to get at the sheep? How about using those binoculars (i.e. asking the person in question or asking other spoiler people about the spoiler) before actually shooting at that animal?

12. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    How do you publish a list of exact examples of what is a spoiler without telling everyone what the spoilers are?

I agree I'm being very conservitive in my views here but Mara tried being more liberal and the NSA forum got burned, on several occasions.
    A single standard isn't fair to everyone but a double standard isn't fair to anyone.

13. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    okay, this REALLY is my last one. I'm sorry. For real. Last call.

"But how is the fact it's a joke implicit in the quote itself? It isn't and must therefor be viewed as a spoiler."

If you're gonna operate under that kind of logic something is horribly wrong. It's fostering no kind of discussion environment and more of some kind of twisted siege mentality.

And your rape comment is out there. Let's not even try to compare us getting possibly maybe "spoiled" by lines from a movie coming out in a year to someone being violated in the worst possible way, okay? I'd rather this thread not descend to THAT depth of ridiculousness..and here's a hint, if you think you need to use rape as an example to defend your position, maybe somethings wrong with the position you're holding?

Peace,
    Fatboy

(for real. I'm done. Let's just not lose sight of what we're trying to do here with all this sidetracking and running in circles. We were making progress a lil bit ago)

14. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    This whole thing is SO making me want to try and become a member of the NSA forum.

//rolleyes

15. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I was using virginity as an example of innocence again fatboy, all I'm saying is that you can't force yourself to forget a spoiler. You can't become unspoiled as it were in exactly the same way you can't get unraped. thats all.

16. Lord_Grendel

Lord_Grendel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2001
    Youre missing the point again. A fake sig is not a good reason to ban a good member.

Is the JC a better palce without Ternian? no.

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    There are still so many better analogies out there.

18. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    I swear I'm nearly on the verge of going through all those months of spy reports and highlighting every single one just because I'm starting to get disgusted with being in this forum.

19. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    "How do you publish a list of exact examples of what is a spoiler without telling everyone what the spoilers are?"

We have a list of rules for the forum now. I'm saying that if they've become so expansive that they now included things that are clearly not spoilers, that should be in the rules as well. So, if what we're saying is "nothing that can be misconstrued by anyone at any time as a spoiler," someone needs to figure out how to add that in there. I'm not saying it's easy (personally, I don't think it's possible, if the rules are going to be that broad), but I don't think asking for clear rules when very minor things will get posters in trouble is too much to ask.

yodaman: I know what you mean.

20. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I was unaware the ban was permanent.

Lets go back over the arguements.

Do you deny on atleast two occasions ternian dropped spoilers and on atleast one case lied about it?

21. Askaak

Askaak Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2000
    Once again, I must agree with Fatboy. And since he seems to be good with long, in-depth arguments ( :) ), I'm going to make this short and sweet.

Ternian's sig alone should not be a reason for him to be banned as harshly as he did. Never mind the fact that it wasn't even close to a "real" spoiler; that's besides the point... Can someone please tell me what ELSE Ternian did to deserve this banning? I mean, you can't keep falling back on the same argument. There has to be another reason.

But the simple answer is that there is not. Ternian did nothing wrong. In fact, he did everything right. You saw how he paid special attention to the NS forum rules and made sure he did not break any of them. A simple scan through all his posts shows there was not one allusion or reference to a spoiler or anything....

Like Fatboy, said this was just a huge over reaction on DLM's part. I mean, did anyone else feel like this came out of no where? One minute, we were discussing how to come to a solution for "A Non-Spoiler Report," then all of the sudden Dark Lady Mara come in and totally ranks on Ternian, and not long afterwards bans him... just as T was in the process of defending himself.

But I digress.... anyway, I'd just like to say that this whole ordeal has left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to the Non-Spoiler forum. I have posted there occasionally, but somehow I feel it will be a cold day in hell before I do so again.

Thank you.

22. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    No matter what, none of this is worth a permenant ban. None of it.

23. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    So you don't deny he slipped atleat twice and on one occasion lied about it.

Between the begining of February and now the SNA forum has been forced to take a much more hard line approach to spoilers, regretable but it happened. I wonder if Ternian approved his version II report from the spoiler forum with DLM. For some reason I doubt it.
    Did it require a ban? maybe a spanking 24 or 48 hours at most.

But what has happened has happened and spending your time kicking up a rucous about it wont help Ternian at all.

24. Lord_Grendel

Lord_Grendel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2001
    Do you deny on atleast two occasions ternian dropped spoilers and on atleast one case lied about it?

what are you talking about?

But what has happened has happened and spending your time kicking up a rucous about it wont help Ternian at all

Well, what what you have us do? Its too late anyway, hes wont come back regardless.

25. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Probably not. But it might help the forum not go down this path of taking everything from everyone as a potential problem. That's something the NS forum has to deal with, whether Ternian comes back or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.