main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Spoiler Forum Brouhaha...Big Question Marks

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Fatboy_Roberts, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    As I've said, I don't enjoy banning people. I really don't. I would like to let Ternian return to his SA posting as soon as possible, but I still have no guarantee that he will not continue to spoil the non-spoilees as soon as he comes back. I tried asking him nicely to stop spoiling us, and I tried to threaten him to get him to stop spoiling us, but none of it worked. I'm at my wits' end. The well-being of the NS forum is my primary concern, and I can't let him come back until I'm sure my forum will not be in any danger.

EDIT: Here's a thought. I can unban him on the condition that he not be allowed to post in the non-spoiler forum anymore. Then the SA members will be happy to have him back, and the NS members will be happy to be able to keep their sense of security. Since Ternian's fate seems to have turned into an issue of public concern, I'll put the idea up for open debate in this thread.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    //crickets

Someone must have something to say on the matter...

3. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    it sounds like a good idea to me, but I guess it really depends on weather or not he would agree with to that. I think it is good that you are looking for some kind of compromise on this.

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    "Someone must have something to say on the matter..."

Nope. Reading this is far more entertaining than actually contributing. :)

Ternian's a good guy. He brings a lot to the SA boards. But what business does he have in NS? None. If you can work something out where he'll leave your forum alone, that seems like a fair compromise.

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Sounds fair enough to me.

Vertical

6. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Too bad, but that maybe that way it has to be. Although, it seems there are only 3 people complaining about Ternian in NS, I and others are ecstatic about his threads.

--Joey

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The problem seems to be that the rules of the NS has to protect the real hardcore non-spoilers, while most of the people posting there are actually on a scale from "knowing some spy pics" to "just not want to know the plot".

I also guess that's why the words have been quite hard in these discussions, since most non-spoilees are moderate but the most influential members are hard core.

I don't have an answer to the problem, but I think that the system we had where everyone who started a topic had to say where he took the information from in the title of the topic. Then you could choose if it was too spoilerish or not for your taste.

8. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    "But what business does he have in NS? None."

I think that is a tad harsh.

I know rules are rules and I don't want to get drawn into an argument which is coming to a long-overdue close, but where is it stated that just because you post in SA, you can't post in NS?

I've been considering going spoiler-free for Episode III, but that 'rule' hardly makes transition easy. So much so, that I don't think I'll bother now.

But back to the point at hand, if that's the only way Ternian can return then so be it. However, I'm not so sure the problem has been thoroughly tackled, and I have a terrible feeling that there is going to be a repeat performance sometime in the near future. Maybe then it will become apparent that Ternian was not the problem.

9. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    "where is it stated that just because you post in SA, you can't post in NS?"

Not saying that. But when your primary objective is to discuss spoilers, the NS forum isn't the place to be. Couldn't be simpler.

10. green_cross_code

Jul 11, 2000
    Ok, that's fair enough. It wasn't clear in your initial post.

However, the rest of my post I still stand by.

11. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Unfortunately for Ternian, it seems he returned under an alias... and we *all* know *that* is against the rules. It makes me sad. :(

Vertical

12. green_cross_code

Jul 11, 2000
    What does that mean for him then, Vert?

13. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Well, at the very least, an extended ban...

Vertical

14. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

[POTENTIAL SPOILERS EDITED]

--- ADMIN NOTE ---

Please note that the story on TF.N's page is only available after clicking on a link that is specifically described as having a summary of the plot. Sure, no highlighting, but it is NOT on the front news page. If people were avoiding spoilers, they'd never see that. Just because the staff member who posted that little tidbit considers them 'non' spoiler stuff, doesn't mean it'll fly here on the forums.

- Vertical

15. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    OOPS. My Bad. :)

16. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    The last few pages have gotten way off track. I just want to 'clarify' something for myself with a few questions:

1) If Ternian had a completely innocuous signature, would all of this have been avoided?

2)If he decides to come back, can he set up a similar thread in the Misc. forum? And if so, will the Admin be someone who can 'weed' the spoilers correctly and fairly?

This whole issue is much bigger than 'he had a spoiler in his signature'. We are losing sight of the forest through all these trees.

Please add to this thread if you think you can help alleviate the REAL problem.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2339756&replies=19

17. Rilian

Rilian Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2000
    Prove he broke a rule and then I'll listen. The fact that you don't know for sure that he broke any rules completely breaks down the rest of the argument.

My 2¢ on it is that I read v1.0 and v2.0 of the threads in question and saw nothing even remotely near spoilers. I never thought twice about his signature. People have weird and exotic signatures around here. I take them with a grain of salt.

Look at my signature as an example. I've had the first 2 lines of my signature since I became a member. It's a made up line meant to sound like Yoda. Are you going to now accuse me and the dozens of others out there of spoiling because you're not sure that our sigs are spoiler free? I've posted quite a bit in both the SA and NSA forums and never once has anyone including DLM said a word to me and yet my sig is just as likely to fit your criteria as Ternians if not more so. By the way, you can put your mind at rest. I made mine up, too...well before I started posting in the spoiler forum. Another point against the signature "evidence" is that to my knowledge, no direct quotes of the ep2 script exist that can be guaranteed as accurate. Therefore no signature "quote", emphasis on quote, can be deemed spoiler material. A sig can still contain spoiler information(don't get me wrong on that).

To finish, I have great respect for DLM and I think she does a bang up job but I think until evidence is shown to the contrary, Ternian deserves to be here. <edit>Coming back under a sock did not help his case though.</edit>

-Rilian

//edited for spelling and grammar

18. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    When did he come back as a sock? I must have missed that part.

In any case, DLM has made her decision. She warned him, supposedly, and he didn't do anything. So she banned him - and the signature has NOTHING to do with this whatsoever, I think. That was a side-issue. And where did you get the idea that one can have spoilers in their signature?

--Mr. P :cool:

19. Rilian

Rilian Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2000
    I got that idea because I have seen several in the SA forum. Simple as that. I mean can as in it is possible not as in it is ok or legal.

About the sock thing, read Vertical's post up a bit. That's where I got it.

20. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I have sat idly by watching this unfold but I can't any longer. It was Mara's decision to ban him, and shame on all you mods who voiced your dissenting opinions in the public forum. I don't think mods should question other mods decisions in the public forum.

Dark Lady Mara is one of the best mods this place has ever had. The non-spoiler forum, up until now, has been a haven of not only the spoiler-free, but anyone who is sick of the bickering and the flaming of the spoiler forum. You know why I left the SA? Not even because of spoilers, but because of how so many of the mods and members of the SA conduct themselves. Sure, they don't "break the rules" but the tone and the content of many posters is offensive in the SA, and I can't tell you how sick I was of the "this is canon, NO IT'S NOT" discussion. So many people in the SA forum have mastered the art of insulting without "technically" insulting, I couldn't stand it. The non-spoiler posters are among the nicest and the most decent, and usually the SA posters in the NSA forum are pretty cool too. This includes Ternian.

We of the ns forum don't complain about much, but we can't stand spoilers. Yes, there are some people who don't mind minor spoilers. Fine, put the thread in miss. section. Mara made a judgement call, and from her position, it was the correct one. I agree, Ternian should be let back, but never again in the NS forum. I've never personally been spoiled, but that's because I knew better than to read those threads, not everyone is so lucky.

21. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Yes, coming back with an alias gains him nothing in my books.

22. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Well, first it's "mods always agree with each other", now it's "shame on you for voicing dissention". Sheesh.

Vertical

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey we're the mob we dont have to make sense.

"Quick now lets burn down the observatory so this will never happen again!"

24. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    Anakin Skywalker IS Darth Vader

25. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    SI, how dare you!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.