main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Spoiler Forum Brouhaha...Big Question Marks

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Fatboy_Roberts, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    "I don't think mods should question other mods decisions in the public forum."

I could *not* disagree more. There's nothing to be gained by us, "the public", if this is the mindset of the mods. Each one is an individual. Each one has his or her own thoughts. I think this place can only be better if the mods can think and act individually.

Stonewalling and blind obedience to the other mods is nothing short of infuriating, when I've seen it.

2. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    What NB said.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    What Vert and NB! said.

People complain when the admins agree with each other all the time, and then complain when they don't. Make up your minds.

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Maybe there should be another mod in NS, so that people wouldn't feel so much in the hands of DLM. And sometimes I get the feeling in NS that when something goes wrong, or spoiler gets there, everyone just blames DLM, even if she's doing a great job.

I must make clear that I don't disagree with the banning of ternian, but the closing of the non-spoiler report thread.

5. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Listen, you'd think mods would know how hard it is to have 300 different people second guessing every decision you make, and a little support is just standard decency.

You as mods have the toughest job of anyone on the board, and to think you would second guess someone in your position in front of everyone is deplorable. Maybe that's just my opinion, and nobody said you had to come out and agree with Mara, but you don't have to challenge her decision in an open forum.

The other thing, I feel, is that no one on this board has more authority to ban anyone from the spoiler forum than Mara. How could any other mod try and pass judgement on her decision without seeing everything she has seen? I don't even care about Ternian, I was never spoiled by him and didn't know anything about this until everyone started these threads, but Mara shouldn't have to explain anything to any of you, you certainly have the right to your opinion, if you don't agree with a mods decision, go ahead, voice it, I do it all the time. I just don't think Mara should be second guessed by her own fellow mods.

Also, to those who don't mind "minor spoilers," I would say this: You can't account for everyone's sense of what is and what isn't a spoiler for them. If you frequent the spoiler forum, people aren't expected to not spoil you because it's spoilers allowed, why shouldn't the non-spoilers expect a completely non-spoiled board? COMPLETELY NON SPOILED? Why shouldn't we have that right? I mean, if you want a few spoilers, stop by the spoiler forum and read a few things, but don't post that stuff or even allude to it or anything in the non-spoiler forum.

6. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    Darth Sidious IS Emperor Palpatine.

7. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
  8. No blasters!

Feb 14, 2000
    OWM, your postion seems to be running this way...

1. Lady Mara is in charge of the NS forum.
    2. Only she really knows what's going on there.
    3. She made her decision and that should be respected.
    4. The other mods shouldn't second guess her in public.

Now I don't know anything about the NS forum so I can't comment on that place. Further, Lady Mara has always seemed, to me, to be a fine mod when I've seen her elsewhere. So I won't disagree with 1 through 3.

Number 4, however, gives me great pause. Would you still hold that contention is you disagreed with her actions? What if a mod takes an action, doesn't explain him/herself and the other mods do/say nothing in order to "support" one another?

I've seen it happen here and *that's* deplorable. To never question another's judgement, to never step back from a situation, to never listen to the concerns of the posters, all to maintain a public face of agreement? Nothing pissed me off more around here than when some mod had the nerve to pat us all on the collective head, say, "because I said so" and all the other mods would stay silent.

So I feel that the mods who entered this thread *were* respectful not only of their fellow mod, but also to us.

Lady Mara had the good grace to explain her actions logically, the others are trying to sort out a happy conclusion and that will be that. Seems like a good thing to me.

9. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    SI, it's a good thing that's written on the box of TPM or that would be a spoiler!

10. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    OWM - I offered my thoughts on the matter, and I *always* stated that I didn't have as many facts as DLM had, so I was at a disadvantage there. But I offered my insight because I think people deserve to know what other mods feel.

You see, the problem here was that members were questioning the actions of one mod. If we had all stood by and not said anything, I can assure you, there would be cries of "where are the other mods? What do they think?". Following your logic, I am forced to bite my tongue in order to avoid being seen as 'deplorable'.

In all of my posts, I made CERTAIN to mention several times that I have a great deal of respect for DLM, and I think she's an awesome mod. That did NOT, however, stop me from saying I disagreed with the TIMING of the ban. I agreed with the reasoning behind the ban, just not the timing. I made every effort to make it a "respectfull" disagreement over the timing.

If you think my silence in this case would have had a positive effect on the discussion, I think you're sorely mistaken.

Vertical

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Vert, your's and the other mod's input is always apprieciated, and you showed us how it should be done. The mods here are not clones, and they are human. So we need for them to discuss this stuff with us, whether they disagree or agree with the decision being made.

12. No blasters!

Feb 14, 2000
    What Kadue said.

13. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    So what are we doing? Is Ternian coming back? Are we putting a Non-Spoiler report in SW Misc?

--Joey

14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    What if a person who doesn't want to be spolierised goes to my Bio and opens up "View latest posts"? There's a whole bunch of Spoiler post titles there?

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Anyone who clicks on the 'View Latest Posts' does so with the knowledge that they could see something they don't want. It's their choice.

16. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    It's my understanding that if you leave "Non-Spoilers", anything you run into is just bad luck. Basically, if you don't want spoilers, don't click on anything except what's in "Non-Spoilers".

Vertical

17. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The View Latest Posts is one thing, but it seems to me that a profile is something different.

Clearly warned spoilers in profiles, bah.

18. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    From the rules, everything is NS unless it's the PSA forum, contains the word spoilers in the title, or a sufficient gap is left. Considering that people could go to the PSA forum, the titles in the view posts fall under the same general heading as possible spoilers here.

But a profile you might click on before knowing if they are spoiler-free or not. Plus it is part of the boards and doesn't have "Spoilers" in warning.

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Ahh but view posts falls under the poster rights act of '00.

Section 4, Subsection B.

"The title of a thread shall be deemed as part of the board and therefore shall fall under the rules of the board it is posted in."

20. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    You know farraday, I never know when you're kidding, or being serious. ?[face_plain]

21. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    it would be a downright shame if a non-spoiler member clicked on my bio.

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Cut the ...crud.. Sith Interceptor the only reason that info is in your bio is in the hopes of a non spoiler person will see it.

Or if I'm wrong please make up a reason.

23. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Imho:

Bios are a public portion of the site. They are not a part of SA. Therefore, there should be no spoilers in the because no spoilers are allowed outside SA *at all*. The "Latest posts" and "active topics" secitons are, imho, exempt from this b/c to enforce NS rules on topic names would prevent discussion there, and those sections are partly every forum - so it's still SA in the "latest posts", though the topic names have to follow the rules of the forum they're in.

My .02 credits.

--Mr. P :cool:

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    But he has given sufficeient warning.

25. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    "Sith Interceptor the only reason that info is in your bio is in the hopes of a non spoiler person will see it."

- really? I'm not that crass.

Am I?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.