main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Non-Spoilers Allowed Forum Sign-Up

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Jun 19, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

This is a good plan as I see it--a "trailers thread," a "what Abrams said" thread, etc. That way any "news" can be kept to specific threads, and people who want to just speculate on what might happen (as we are doing now) without any specific information before they see the film, can avoid those threads if they choose.

I also think "what I consider spoilers is not what someone else considers spoilers" is a good modus operandi for anyone who is going to enter that forum at all.

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Crap, I'm conflicted.

I don't want to be totally spoiled for Episode VII, but 3SA sounded so much more fun than 3NSA. I was spoiled rotten for Episode III and still enjoyed it, but then again I was 11 years old at the time.

I think I'm going to jump on the 7NSA bandwagon this time, because I know that somehow I'm still going to end up reading the spoilers anyways. There's no way in heck you're going to miss any minor spoiler because they're going to be top story on Yahoo News as well as the trending topic on Twitter. Social media has sure grown in 8 years.

If I don't like it, there's always 8SA.

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I agree completely. I was just meaning there are different levels of people and going spoiler free. There are people who won't even watch the trailers and there are some who consider it okay to watch them. That's just one example. That is what I am trying to say.

4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I'm a big Star Trek fan, I managed to avoid all the talk about Into Darkness except for one minor spoiler that I saw. I did that by avoiding interviews with the people connected to the production, and staying away from areas of the internet where I knew spoilers of that kind would lurk.
    --------------------------------------------

can I ask did you visit any Star Trek sites in that time?

I think if you want to be 100% spoiler free TFN is not the best place for you to be. Even if you did manage to avoid major spoilers there is no guarantee that some troll won't put something in his sig, before mods can handle it.

If you want to see how it would work,

go to the archive forum, and click on the 3NS forum and look around

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    QFT. I've experienced this before. Someone who went to a press screening of "The Impossible Astronaut" and "The Day of the Moon" posted a detailed synopsis of everything that happened in the episodes on a number of Doctor Who fansites with a massive spoiler as the thread title. The mods on said sites took action as swiftly as possible, but the damage was already done.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    A few smaller ones. It's a fair question. My plan for this place has always been to duck out once info starts really coming out. I'm just trying to be helpful and bring up things to think about, because a lot of new people will be coming here too. And one way to really p&%# them off is to start throwing spoilers around in areas they think are spoiler free.

As I said, that's more harmful than not creating the forum at all. At least then you know it's not safe.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I understand what you all are saying, but I think the questions that have come about, are regarding official moderator policy.

Trolls will troll, but what is and is not allowed in 7NSA has warranted the questions.

I'm personally not going to let trolls run me out, but paraphrasing Obi-Wan, each poster has to do what he or she feels is right, of course.

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  8. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Sign me up.

9. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep, I'm in. This will enable me to come to this site for a little longer between now and the release, which is cool.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going to quote this because I think it's a pretty good thought. If a trailer is a spoiler to you, or something that is officially announced by LFL/Disney or JJA (who is notoriously tight lipped) then I wouldn't recommend being on a Star Wars site. I figure that anyone who is online searching for a place to talk Star Wars is either looking for spoilers or knows in their search they are likley to come across some things such as trailers or official info. If they are planning on being without any info at all, they are not likely to be searching for a place to discuss Star Wars.

If official info seems to be unusually spoilery, then we can always revisit the policy, of course.

12. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    I had a great time being part of Ep 3 NSA and would love to be part of VII NSA.

WJE

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As someone who is now revisiting the idea of watching trailers based on the idea that they may be more spoilerific that I had anticipated, I'm hoping you all will keep one "Official Trailers Thread" and mandate that trailer information go there; that way people have the option of opening it or not.

I'd be surprised if anyone is actually trying to avoid the very basic official info, an example being "Episode VII's title will be Attack of the Ewoks and will feature a band of 10-year-olds who worship C3PO." Another example might be who the starring actors are. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

And I know that the best you can do with trolls is to make use of the edit and ban buttons as quickly as you are aware of them.

But honestly, and this is the issue I had with Sistros' original statement, the attitude that "anyone who wants to talk Star Wars is probably OK with a certain amount of spoilers" is not only incorrect but makes me nervous in the slippery slope it creates. Where is the line drawn? Names of major characters are acceptable, plot points are not? Because you all as a moderating team probably have different ideas on what should constitute an unacceptable level of being spoiled, it could be a mess if those lines aren't drawn in advance.

Some people might just want to speculate without seeing the trailers and while having very little information, and that's what a non-spoiler forum should be.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What we are seeing described here is not a spoiler free forum.

15. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I wasn't around the JCF for the lead up to the prequels, but I'm definitely thinking I'd rather go spoiler free for Ep VII, so I'd like to sign up, please.

Also, PrincessKenobi or one of the other mods, if we might sometimes want to use a sock account in this forum (not for purposes of causing spoiler troubles, of course, but for harmless reasons only O:) ) , do we need to post another separate sign-up message using that account?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, and...doing a lot of thinking out loud in this thread...would it really be that difficult from the moderator end to simply have a "spoiler free" forum? No worries about what the source is, just "this is for speculation/what you want to see in Episode VII only--if you want to discuss actual info, go to 7SA"?

That way the moderators wouldn't even need to hash out what constitutes a "spoiler", the NSA forum would be kind of what we have now when we don't have any real info...speculation.

17. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think it's possible that we may not be able to access both. Since we've signed up for 7NSA, our accounts may not be able to access the 7SA board, and so forth due to board controls.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It is possible, in fact I think the sign-ups are for posting in NSA, not reading it. Which is another reason to keep anything that could be considered a spoiler in SA; it's not as if people who want to discuss info that might be considered spoilerific, wouldn't have a place to do so.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd be kidding myself if I said I could go on the JCF and never be spoiled outside of 7SA. It's inevitable that spoilers will trickle into the other parts of the boards, where spoiler policy may be more lax. Or maybe not, I have no idea if, say, the Lit mods would be on top of that or not.

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    There is a big difference though in things that may or may not leak around, and officially endorsing a type of spoiler in what is being labeled a nonspoiler area.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Sign me up.

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Sign me up!

However, I'm not sure what spoilers were released. The casting call?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Todd: That's a good point and I think the Lit mods would need to address that; the LACWAC/Star Wars TV/whatever the hell they're calling that forum mods would have to formulate a policy as well.

My main point is that people should be able to avoid spoilers, especially major ones, without having to avoid the largest Star Wars forum on the Internet. There is more to discuss in Star Wars than Episode VII. There is the EU; there is also the upcoming Rebels show, TCW, the games, and Episodes I-VI. It just rubs me the wrong way that anyone who doesn't want the movie ruined for him or her, should plan to just avoid any Internet discussion of Star Wars altogether. I don't think it has to be that way.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

25. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    But honestly, and this is the issue I had with Sistros' original statement, the attitude that "anyone who wants to talk Star Wars is probably OK with a certain amount of spoilers
    ---------------------------------

I only say that though because if I remember rightly (I didn't sign up to 3NS at the time, simply because I wanted to know everything Dooku related, but I was gained read only access) that people in 3NS knew who Grievous was to the point they knew he was a General despite having literally one second in the trailer , I thought the same thing was going to happen here in 7NS.