main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge ~*~ Non Star Wars December Holiday Challenge ~*~

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Miana Kenobi, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithiniel

Lithiniel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Yeah, I didn't know how to do a link like that, because I'm too lazy to mess with it right now....

But I did one. So....yeah. :D

Is it wrong that Jack Bauer puts me in the holiday spirit?

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Lithiniel -- it's really simple:

Story Goes here

Take the URL of the page where your fic is on and put it where I have URL written. :)

Here's mine: Marvin's Christmas Eve.

And guess what the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is crossed with... *snigger*

Oh dear, I'm an odd child. 8-}

3. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Well if you weren't, you wouldn't be here, now would ya? ;)

Thanks for the tip on posting links that way! :D

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you three for participating!! [:D]

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Exactly, Lithiniel, exactly. [face_laugh]

So, Nat, can all three of us get colours for participating? [face_batting] I promise I won't do solar power!

6. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I did one too! No rhyming though and since it's a cross-over with Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale 'The little match-girl', I'm afraid it isn't funny.... [face_worried]

Matches

Merry Christmas!

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks, Seremela!

The prizes will remain a secret until the challenge is over [face_devil]

Remember, you still have until the clock strikes midnight boardtime on Wednesday night to write an entry!

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    As it so happens, we decided to do just that :) Everyone gets 72 hours of colors. I'm promoting you now, but if there are issues because of the weekend or because of post-holiday travel, PM me and we can work something out. I'm flexible as long as you take your 72 hours sometime in the next week.

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Ooh, thank you, Nat! [:D]

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [:D]

By the way, in a sort of official post-challenge way (and to go along with the suggestion thread) what did you guys think of the challenge? Was there anything you woud have changed? And do yu have any suggestions for future challenges?

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Hmm... maybe change the "one of the fandoms has to be a Holiday fandom" rule? It was okay to work with, but I think there's more flexibility if you still let it be ANY fandom. Afterall, it's pretty easy to make things Holiday-y without having to use a Holiday fandom.

For example, mine doesn't really feel all that Christmas-y even though I used How the Grinch Stole Christmas. :p

12. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Well, you can probably guess which rule put me off. I had lots of ideas, but none that felt like I could wring 2000 words out of 'em. [Most either didn't gel or were scenes in search of a plot.]

13. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_hypnotized] COLORS!? Wow, never had colors before, this should be fun :D

Personally I loved that one of the AUs had to be a Christmas story or movie, because it made me write something I would NEVER EVER have thought of otherwise.

But I second Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi on the word amount.

EDITED to say that me like :D. And that this weekend is fine.

14. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Hrm. As a counterpoint to the general consensus, I'd like to say first off that the holiday fandom part really made this challenging. Perhaps the idea was not fully expressed, in that I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was a little confused as to what constituted a "Holiday fandom". Once I caught on, however, that just made it a little more fun.

The word limit had me worried a bit, because I didn't realize how little space 10k words actually takes up. But at first, I wasn't certain, either, that I'd have even 2k words on the subject.

All in all, it was a lot of fun. It was an opportunity to do something a little different, and helped get the creative juices flowing toward other things, as well. (I am now inspired to write a full-length 24 fanfic... lol.) Looking forward to this year's holiday challenge, now, too! :D

15. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That's a loooooong time of happy anticipation, Lithiniel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.