main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-Star Wars fan fic forum - Forums now open!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NYCitygurl, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    We discussed SFF vs everything, and decided to go with all fandoms. However, as PA stated, fanfic is based on fiction. Things from the Arena and the Senate aren't ff because they involve real people and real situations.

No limits. As you said, very detrimental.

The threads were posted in relevant forums (SFF, fanfic, Amph, and RPG) because those are the users that would generally be more interested. I posted a thread in JCC because that's where the biggest number of people post, and I wanted to see if such a large number of people were interested (or opposed, or didn't care). And I got permission from the JCC mods, I didn't just go post there to post there.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    See, but why is that allowed period, when the same wouldn't be applied for a normal user suggesting a new forum?

Comms is here for a reason, no? Why does it differ for moderators trying to start a new forum? Can you honestly tell me that if I'd started a thread in the JCC trying to garner support for the Arena in there, that it wouldn't have been locked as spam? Do you honestly think that the MS would have given me permission to start one there?

Comms is supposed to be where things like this are officially put up, and brought up, no? I'm sorry if you guys don't do enough to make aware to your users, in your various forums, of the comms forum. But that is what it's here for, right?

Cause if not, I want permission to start a petition for a Pancakes and waffles forums in every forum, based on the fact that nobody reads comms.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, we got our P&W forum. We need a petition started to re-open it. :p

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    We discussed SFF vs everything, and decided to go with all fandoms. However, as PA stated, fanfic is based on fiction. Things from the Arena and the Senate aren't ff because they involve real people and real situations.

Thanks Nat.

5. ellybeanjay

ellybeanjay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    A question about the slash issue again - can you talk about slash fanfic even when it's not posted on the board? Or link to it?

6. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    No...

*got banned for posting link once*

7. ellybeanjay

Jul 2, 2000
    But you can post link to slash non-fan fiction, correct?

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Correction: here

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Can we make Non-Star Wars fan fics that take place in California? Civil unions are legal there now.

10. ellybeanjay

Jul 2, 2000
    From what I'm reading, it looks like those are all fanfics that work within the rules of the JC, meaning they don't have obvious same sex relationships, just allusions and innuendo.

Or am I reading that wrong?

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You're not reading that wrong. Barely-there innuendo is allowed/ignored by the higher-ups. If this gets off the ground, there will probably be an example in the FAQ with limits on violence, sex, and SSR innuendo.

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    It's better than nothing - Fan fiction writers need to show that they can play within the rules before trying to stretch the limits, especially with such a long drawn out delicate (I hate to use the word 'fight'). The was a time when even the mere hint of a SSR was absolutely out of the question, after all.

13. ellybeanjay

Jul 2, 2000
    So then my question is, where is the line drawn when it comes to linking to/discussing fiction that is explicit about the fact that there are homosexuals?

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    This is what the official fanfic rules say:

[quote-JadeSolo]As defined by the TFN Archive lexicon, slash fiction is "fanfic featuring people of the same gender romantically involved." The JC does not permit such stories, including fiction of other genres that while not technically slash contain some of the elements that make up a slash fic. As they are used in officially released material, allusions and innuendo are permissible so long as they remain ambiguous and are in reference to original characters. [/quote]

So for writing, you can't say anything that clearly states that they're in a same-sex relationship, you have to skirt around the issue. I don't believe there's a policy on discussing it, though; there was some discussion about Dumbledore after JKR's announcement that he's gay.

15. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    For clarification, a fan-ficcer is not allowed to say something like, Character 1 (male) and Character 2 (male) held hands? Or is that fine?

16. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    kk, I'll correct myself.

*got banned for posting link 3 years ago and hasn't really gone in Resource since*

17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Is it really needed for the story? People kiss and hold hands and there's nothing sexual about it all the time...

A GOOD story that features characters that are in an SSR doesn't need to have the focus on the character's physical realtionship, and treats it like any other. A story thats sole purpose is to have the characters scream "I'm Gay! I'm Gay!" is just sloppy writing for shock value.

I've read (and indexed) some of the very best fan fiction from the boards (some of which written by a retired moderator) that features a 'gay' OC, where their sexuality is a part of the core of the story, but in the end, you read it and love it is because it is a well written story with a soul, and a character you care about, not because of the "OMG! Teh GAY is in da Howse" factor.

18. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Is it really needed for the story? People kiss and hold hands and there's nothing sexual about it all the time...

IMO...no it's not. ;) I was asking in order to see how strict this rule was. That doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but, you're right...it's not needed. So, I don't see any point really in changing the rule.

19. ellybeanjay

Jul 2, 2000
    But that's not entirely true, right? Because people can link to, say, a youtube video where there are obvious same sex relationships. So I guess I'm wondering at what point is the line drawn where you can link to it, vs where you can't?

20. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I would assume that the rules for fan fic are stricter because fan fic probably draws a larger share of the younger audience on the site than say the JCC would.

21. ellybeanjay

Jul 2, 2000
    So long as it's not sexually explicit, I don't know why a younger audience would affect that.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mostly because the rules handed down by the owners were fanfic-relate.

And no, according to Mr. Wise, that's a no-no. Hinting at it a la the two gay Mandos in LOTF - we all know that they're a couple, but they never do or say anything to suggest that they're more than friends. Reeeally fine line.

23. ellybeanjay

Jul 2, 2000
    Right, so my question is where is the line? Like, can there be fanfilms with the lesbian or gay characters? And you can link to mainstream fiction with same sex relationships, so at what point is it inappropriate to link to it?

24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    We have to ask ourselves two key questions:
    1. If created what is the sustainability of this new forum? With decreased traffic across the boards, would this addition actually warrant enough participation and support from members?

2. If we are going to establish a fan fiction forum--why should we exclude original fanfics--why not allow authors to publish other forms of literature that stray away from fan fic. For example, just regular short-stories, original poetry, etc. I think it would be a much stronger and active forum if all forms of member art were accepted.

-Seldon

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Elly, I'm actually not sure on either of those two, because I'm not involved with FanFilms and I don't think any linking to SSR stories has been an issue while I've been a mod. DVeditor or AdamBertolli (I think I've spelled that correctly) would know the first, and VaderLVR64 and JadeSolo would know the second.

We believe so, yes, mostly from current fanfic users; a lot of them post in other fandoms at other places, and this would give them a place to keep their work and enthusiasm here.

Legal issues. It's hard to get original work published after its been posted on the internet because of copyright issues. In little doses (like a contest) we can make 100% sure that participants know this. In a larger setting, like a forum, it would be MUCH harder. We all know that not everyone reads the rules or warnings, and those who do might ignore them or decide to do it anyway and hope for the best.

There is a fanfic rule that says that users can't post stories with real-life people, but even just original poetry could be problematic if someone wants to get published. I'm not saying we'd never ever do it, but for this proposal and this forum, the focus is on fanfic only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.