main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-Star Wars fan fic forum - Forums now open!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NYCitygurl, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    CW, if it is a star wars story with star wars characters or in the star wars universe, then yes.

We'll hopefully be getting to a vote in a week or so.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I give my full support to this. Granted, that probably means nothing but here it is anyway.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Actually, it does. We appreciate any and all comments, because they give us a feel for what you guys want.

4. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    I don't write in other fandoms (or very much in this one anymore, it seems), but I'm very aware of the desert-landscape-like wasteland there is in the way of community for non-SW fanfic. And the less community, the higher penchant for landmines like mary-sues and slash and... *shudder* furries. Here, we have a vibrant, solid community of support and feedback that you'd really be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. FF.n especially. So, I'm all for an additional forum for those interested in writing in other worlds. Lord knows that if you can write well in one, you probably write well in the others. We shouldn't pigeonhole ourselves so. :p

5. AlphaRay

AlphaRay Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2008
    I would definitely like to try my hand at writing non Star Wars fan fiction here.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wondering how's this is coming along? :)

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's still being discussed in MS. I'm not sure if there will be an update in this week's MSU though as that is still being put together. I'll ask about an update in the MSU thread though. (I'm not doing the MSU this week).

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Thanks LAJ_FETT. Can't help but be anxious. I'd love to see this happen. [face_good_luck] [face_good_luck]

9. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Er.

I support the addition of the NSWFF, as I have mentioned before.

However, I have written in around ten different fandoms. I got involved enough in five of them to seek out communities bound by that particular common interest. I have not found the available communities for the other four deficient compared to what I've found for Star Wars. They have, to be sure, been very different, with a variety of local "cultures," policies, and customs. In some I've made more friends or closer ones than others; in some I've received a more enthusiastic response; in some I've learned more through genuinely constructive criticism; in some I've thought a given site was especially well run. In my personal, individual experience, TFN is by no means unmatched in support or feedback.

I believe the NSWFF would benefit users on this forum, but I don't think it would really fill a gaping hole for other fandoms. I suppose it would fill a gaping hole for people who are so uniquely fond of the JC fanfic community, content, people, and policies that they have not found any of the communities for their other fandoms to be comfortable or satisfying -- or perhaps for those who just don't have enough time, energy, or interest to get involved in a whole new group. *g*

10. AlphaRay

AlphaRay Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2008
    I think you nailed it on the head there. :)

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's probably exactly true :) But keeping people here and maybe bringing back some users who have moved on to writing for other fandoms will help the boards :)

12. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    As I hope I've generally made clear, I like the idea and do think it's good for this site. I'm glad it ended up going through! *grin* And its effect on this site is the part that's actually relevant to its creation.

I just think it's worth remembering that "not TFN" does not automatically translate to deficient. There really are other good sites, people in other fandoms are by and large not gazing longingly at TFN and wishing they had one, and unless you're pretty much exclusively in love with the TFN forums, it honestly isn't a desert out there.

13. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    How much will the NSWFF be promoted both here and off-site?

14. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    I don't really see why it would be promoted on or off site any more than any other new forum. Did I miss a major advertising campain for the Arena or something?

15. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Nope, we even had to keep the thread proposing it here in Comms.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Not for off-site. The NSWFF is moreso for members here who want to post their non-SW fiction as well. We're not going to advertise being like the new fanfiction.net or something.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Great job all around for making this a reality. I'll have to go check it out. :)

19. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    *still reading the first FanFic*

Thanks to all of you! [:D]

*goes back to reading'

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I posted in the welcome sticky thread in the new forum but maybe it'll get more visibility here. In that thread, you mention to review the Disallowed Works List prior to starting a non-Star Wars fan fiction piece. I looked all over that forum and couldn't find that list. Is it there and I just don't see it? If not, it should probably be at the top and highly visible.

UPDATE: I see it now in the resource forum. A suggestion if I may. Perhaps duplicate that thread in the other forum as well or link to it in the header. That is, quite possibly, the most important thread that'll ever be created in that forum.

21. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm so thrilled to see the new forums open, it's well worth the wait. :D

22. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Oops! Requested a header link for the Disallowed List, and there's another link in the story forum.

23. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Awesome! :D A lot of people will be happy.

24. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm glad to see the forum now open!

25. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Oh, I love the Resource name. :D Nice to see the forums up and running. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.