main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Non-Star Wars fan fic forum proposal

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by NYCitygurl, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The Mod Squad has been talking about creating a new fan fiction forum for all the non-Star Wars fan fic. The forum would include all types of fan fic (books, comics, movies, TV, etc.) but not original fiction. We�re still ironing out some details, but we want to know what you guys think of the idea.

We were thinking that it might draw back some older users who post different types of fanfic at other sites, and be a valuable addition to the JC, especially since character discussions would benefit the SFFs and Amph.

2. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Im all for it!

I write PotC fan fic these days and I use to post SW fan fic here. Be nice if I could post my PotC here too.

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    As I said within Comms...I am definitely all for this idea. :) I think it would be very beneficial.

4. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    I know some fanfics i would like to read there though the chances of the item i want to appear amidst a sea of LotR, PotC, and countless other movie franchises is nothing.

Oh well. Regardless it will certainly be a nice addition, don't let my own wished make me seem negative

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    :eek:

At last, my new dream of writing a Batman/Iron Man crossover will finally come true!

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Let's do it!

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    So, uh... you guys gonna need a banner for this shindig? ;)

8. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Crap, just found out my favorite author doesn't allow fanfics, oh well.

9. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I would assume as much...sort of like how I am still in need of mine. :p

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    How are you going to break this NSWFFF down?

Will each franchise get their own forum once a demand is realized like ff.n does? Or will they be bunched together into one forum or more in genres?

Cause frankly, I dont want to sift through a bunch of Buffy the Vampire Slayers in order to find a Batman fic and so on.

If you want to break it down but not for every franchise or genre you could do this:

Movies
    Television
    Books/Comics

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We haven't technically voted this into creation yet, but we probably will and when that happens, yes, we will :) And on a totally undrelated to this thread note, I'll give you colors if you make SFFBC some banners :D

That's an interesting breakdown idea. We're discussing how or if to split it.

12. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I like it.

13. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Well, I imagine there will be a very handy index or two to help sort everything out. And the ctrl+f function always helps me sift through things online.

14. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Hmmm, totally not what I thought it was going to be from the title...but I totally approve of what it is though[face_dancing]

15. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Well, if you do not want to create more than one forum, you could have a dedicated person or two create an index, and have them break it up into categories within the index.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    :oops: Sorry, man! I'll get it to you ASAP.

And I like Mitthy's idea of the split forums. You could also do what the NSWRPF does, and allow only one fanfic per franchise at a time (unless they're wildly different in scope, such as a Batman fic that takes place in the seventeenth century.... ZOMG [face_idea] ), that way we don't get bombarded with PotC, Batman, Buffy, etc.

17. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    :p Thanks man.

I don't think that limiting the fan fics is a good idea. That could be very detrimental to the forum, because it will not generate interest. If there is a Batman one, and someone has a really good idea for a Batman one, then they'd have to wait, and these fan fics, some times, last a lot longer than RPG's. So, I say they shouldn't limit it to one genre.

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    You're right. It'd probably be best to leave it up to the mods to say "Hey, this is getting out of hand, we've got a ton of [Franchise] flicks going on, do something different," if/when the need arises.

19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    What they'll do is just let the story die. If no one is reading it, the author will tend to just abandon it.

If it looks like there is one franchise getting a lot of fics and it is drowning out the other fics, then it should be given its own place much like ff.n does when enough people have shown an interest in a universe. But I highly doubt that there will be such a dominating franchise in the NSW FF

Btw, i'd call the new for "General Fan Fiction" rather than "Non-Star Wars Fan Fiction" its shorter, easier to remember and harder to mix up with the Star Wars Fan Fiction forum.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for the title suggestion :)

We've actually got a guy who can make an index/story search function in about 5 minutes :)

21. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yes, the name should be different than Non-Star Wars fan Fiction. NSWFF bares a striking resemblance to NSFW. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.