main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Non-Star Wars film inspirations or homages

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt, Feb 21, 2017.

1. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2016
    By searching "rogue one film inspirations" I've found some sites citing movies that Gareth Edwards claims are inspirations for Rogue One.

http://screenrant.com/movies-inspired-star-wars-rogue-one/?view=all

When Saw took a breath from his mask I instantly thought of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet. I brushed it off because I couldn't imagine Disney putting a reference to a drug-abusing criminal who had a desire for violent-sex acts and cross-dressing. But given Saw's reputation with the alliance, Kassian's mention of getting through the door without getting blown up, and Saw's treatment of Bodhi then it does seem plausible that he's just as radical and violent as DH's character in Blue Velvet, but with different overtones to keep Saw looking like a good guy.

Assuming there are such inspirations would homages also be observed? One insignificant detail I keep seeing is the stormtrooper sitting down, lifeless, against the wall where Kassian and Jyn are fighting off other stormtroopers and hiding in a corridor. A corridor that is not unlike the village where the US soldier posed for a picture with a dead Vietnamese soldier (google that - picture / video is graphic). The area in FMJ is a bit more open - the corridor is not covered like it is in Rogue One - but the setting seems similar to me.

Do you see any connection? I also see a similarity with The Final Countdown (1980 film).

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Saw and all the scenes associated with him have a clear Apocalypse Now vibe for me. Some of the coolest moments in Star Wars, IMO.

Avnar, FirstOrder and Sarge like this.
  3. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    The destruction ofJedah was clearly a homeage to the movie "2012".

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The shot from space of the Death Star aligning itself to the center of Jedha recalls the opening shot of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

[​IMG]

Darth Basin and Gigoran Monk like this.
  5. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

Dec 17, 2016

Check out the 1:40 mark. This is all I could think of when the alliance base was asking Bohdi for a call sign. The voice is almost the same as well. Rogue one could have used any voice... It could have been a female with a British accent, it could have been a robotic voice, there didn't have to be any call sign request at all ... But what voice do they use as the tower control operator? To me it's unmistakable .

6. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    The scenes with Saw and Bodhi brought to mind Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart (when Harry Dean Stanton was tied up), and Dune.
    The wave of debris as well as K-2SO reminded me of "Interstellar." Jyn and Cassian on the beach reminded me of "Deep Impact."
    Speaking of the stormtrooper sitting down reminds me of the one sitting in the transport before Jyn's rescue. I do believe that is the first time seeing a stormtrooper sitting down in a Star Wars movie.

7. FirstOrder

FirstOrder Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 26, 2015
    I was thinking a little of ''The Bridge on the River Kwai'' with the three (Jyn, Cassian and K-2SO) left to complete the mission.

Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  8. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    The prologue reminded me of the prologue of Inglorious Basterds: Krennic and his black troopers pay an unexpected visit to a farm, Galen tries to deceive him and fails - but Jyn gets away, to exact her revenge later on.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When the Rogues were showing up to go with Jyn and without authorization, they reminded me of The Dirty Dozen.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    There was certainly a "Seven Samurai in space" vibe there, but in particular, the scene of Baze’s sacrifice by taking down the death troopers that killed Chirrut reminded me of Kikuchiyo’s sacrifice by going after the bandit that shot Kyuzo. Chirrut and Kyuzo both represented the true spirit of the Force/samurai in their respective movies and Baze and Kikuchiyo were like the nonbeliever, mocking brutes, who got emotionally inspired by the former and died like badass heroes.

Gigoran Monk, Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There were several shots on Scarif which very much evoked the Errol Flynn film Objective: Burma.

Also, Winston Churchill.

Gigoran Monk, Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    The Death Star shooting on Jedha was also very reminiscent of the White House destruction in Independence Day, so yeah, I think Gareth took some inspiration from Roland Emmerich's movies.

Darth Basin likes this.
  13. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

Dec 17, 2016
    Wow, excellent observations! Make no mistake I have no objection to these similarities (the way some people don't like how the attack on the Death Star was ripped from the dambusters...) I think these are all great comparisons and I think they were done beautifully.

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I notice a lot of Harry Potter references too.

Darth Basin likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Off the top of my head...

1) Jedha city looked very similar to how we would consider a Middle Eastern city to look. In that opening aerial shot of the city you can clearly see a building in the foreground that looks like a mosque. Many of the inhabitants have qualities about them that could be associated with people from the Middle East. Even Jyn's head piece that she wears while walking through the city is reminiscent of that. Also, when Saw's troops begin firing on the Stormtroopers, after concealing their weapons in robes, is not dissimilar from tactics used against US troops in Iraq. Take away all the high tech sci-fi stuff, and Jedha city could easily be interpreted as a Middle Eastern city center.

2) The crash landing scene on Eadu looked very similar to the crash landing scene on the asteroid in Armageddon. Terrible movie, I know, but watch it if you don't believe me.

3) The approach of the Rogue One crew onto Scarif seemed very reminiscent of TESB, in which Han, Leia, and Luke approached Endor in a similar fashion......stolen ship, outdated entry code, etc.

4) The look of some of the Rebel soldiers, in particular, their helmets, was very similar to those used by many soldiers during various wars throughout US history. Just a very classic, historical soldier look, not anything high tech that one might assume would be used in the SW universe.

5) When the Death Star fires on Scarif, and it hits the big communications tower before hitting the planet itself, if you pay close attention, you will notice that the communications tower beings to crumble in the exact same manner that the World Trade Center towers crumbled on 9/11.

Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    From Spaceballs. A planetary shield with only 1 gate. However I was told that SB took it from Buck Rodgers. Also using a palm print ID to open a door from a knocked out bad guy.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    The over the shoulder shots of the partisans sniping from buildings during the ambush on Jedha City were very much like certain shots from Saving Private Ryan

18. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    A lot of what takes place on Jedha feels inspired by The Battle of Algiers, one of the best films about political rebellion and revolution.

The trailer speaks for itself:

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  19. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah I can definitely see a clear influence there, it does highlight I think that Edwards understood SW's influences much better than Abrams rather than just lifting elements of the previous films. The standard Severn Samurai "bringing the team together" plot has of course been used many many times by Hollywood(including in the obviously SW influences Battle Beyond the Stars) but he actually avoided playing that up in favour of something less common that was I think more effective.

Whatever his other weaknesses(no dog saving in RO luckly) I do think Emmerich was excellent at setting up his big action/disaster moments like this. Edwards also expands on his idea of the effect of the blast increasing afterwards, indeed taking it further by having the initial destruction almost silent and then having the surface of the planet rip apart afterwards.

20. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Absolutely. And one of the best films ever, IMO.

21. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Posters have made a lot of good points. Could not help agreeing with most. I particularly get the impression that the city looks like a Muslim or Jewish city. Very reminiscent of desert towns.

[​IMG]

22. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Now with visual aid.

[​IMG]

Gigoran Monk likes this.