main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Non-Star Wars Literature "What are you reading" or what books/authors do you like?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I thought I'd go ahead and create this since I've just finished reading Return of the King.

Oi! What a book!

more later . . .

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    nice idea.. I am getting ready to read the Dark Divide.. a children's fantasy series.. book two..

3. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm still reading "Eldest"

Also, I bought a "box set" of 2 books. Angels and Demons which was the first book in the set that also was from the author of "the DaVinchi code" (which was the other book in the set). So far I'm far from being even a tad bit impressed. I'd go so far as saying it's just bad. I'm hoping that DaVinchi code is better, it's just gotta be, this is REALLY bad.

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I still have the Da Vinci Code on the bookshelf.. I have started it and read a lot of it.. but still can't say that I have finished it... reminds me of Foucault?s Pendulum. That is not to say it is not a good book.. just a difficult read.

5. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    i like isaac asimov
    carl saigan (saigen whatever im tired and hungry)
    and many many
    many many many others
    but like i said very tired and hungry lightheaded
    cant think
    great idea

6. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Fred Saberhagen and the books of lost swords is one of the best epic series Ive read. It would make an awesome series of movies. Jada, if you like LOTR youll like his stuff, basically the old gods return, Zues hades etc and for the hell of it, have Vulcan make th 13 swords of power the throw them onto the earth to watch the mortals fight over them, but they made em to good and they can kill gods.

7. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I read The DaVinci Code and I have to say it was an interesting read.

However, from everything I've read about the author, once you've read one Dan Brown book, you have read them all.

I thought we could set up a few considerations for this thread:

8. All books that have been out for over a month do not fall into spoiler policy

9. Spoiler Policy - if a book is due to come out you should black out any "spoilers" or inside information. You do this by using the black highlight markup code like this I'm a spoiler!

10. After a book has been out for a month spoiler policy is over and the book can be discussed without blacking out any spoilers.
  12. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Jada, I heartily agree with you. We should also implement those rules in the other Literature forum. I know I will at least. I kinda like this idea of having a non-SW literature thread because I know I have posted on the other thread with non-SW books I have read. I am currently reading, constantly reading, the following series as they are released:

-Bleach, a manga that is released by Viz in America, but is still in print in Japan so I read the new Japanese chapters every week as they are released

-Naruto, same as above

-Fullmetal Alchemist, a manga also released by Viz in America, though is over in Japan

If anybody wants to borrow these, let me know and I can bring them with me whenever I plan on seeing you next.

13. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Well Tim, you heard my story about how my honey spoiled his ex-wife on Half Blood Prince but then again, it was 5 months after the book was released. :p

14. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Tim, how far so the FMA Manga go? I'm at Ep. 37 (or around it). I have them on DVD (burned off Adult Swim). Also, did they do the film in print or just the anime?

15. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Damien, if you are going to be at RPG on Monday, I'll bring everything I have then.

16. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    non-fiction: Cornelius Ryan (THE LONGEST DAY, A BRIDGE TOO FAR, etc.), Jeff Shaara, David McCullough, THE JOURNALS OF LEWIS AND CLARK, most anything of a historical nature...

fiction: Fritz Leiber, H. G. Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle, H. P. Lovecraft, Poe, Tolkien (AVOID the SILMARILLION!!!!!!), Dr. Suess,...

comic/graphic: the Batman (there's a reason he's called the DARK knight...), Superman, Spiderman, X-men

outright liars: Mark Twain

17. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    I just started on a non fiction by Mark McCutcheon, titled THE FINAL THEORY. The author claims to have investigated all the way back to Newton's Theory of Gravity and how it never explains what causes the attraction between matter and how we've never really been able to explain why it violates the Law of Conservation of Energy. I like this guy! He makes you think!!!!!! [face_hypnotized]

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am still reading the Land of Elyon book two. it is a short book.. but I am not reading much.. supposed to be taking down the tree.. not doing much of that either, then supposed to be taking the car to the shop.. that still is not happening.. I am basically just not doing much of anything... wait.. I did unload and load the dishwasher!! I am not a complete waste. In any case.. this is to discuss books.. sorry..

I will finish the land of elyon tonight most likely.

19. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Still reading the 4th book of George RR Martins epic..a song of ice and fire...A Feast For Crows. Its a mideval type read, lots of politics, murder, deciet, usurping of power, thrones, loves....several "kings" within the realm all vying for the right to rule...and the princess..err queen across the narrow sea and her battallion of eunichs getting ready to invade and put all the other "Kings" in check.....I better get reading!

20. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Just a quick question to anyone that read "Eldest". Is it me or does the book drag in the middle?

21. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Definately, but the ending is really worth the wait. I could not believe the ending, and cannot wait to read the third, and final, book.

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    the book drags dreadfully in the middle.. but the end is good. I got really bored with the middle part of it. Took me days to read that part.. but then when it got exciting again I could hardly put it down..

23. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I finally finished the book two of the land of elyon.. the darn book ended in a cliffhanger.. just about sent me over the edge!!!! now I have to wait another six months or a year to get to hear what happens!!!

24. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Thanks, 'cause I've not been able to get back to it for a few months, hopefully I will and it will "move along".

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I want to know if anyone is up for bringing me books to the hospital (St Mary's) on monday evening.. I am supposed to be there monday through wed at least.. maybe even thursday.. and books would be so very nice.. namely anything star wars or good fantasy. if this is doable for anyone.. please do bring them.. and also.. perhaps anything on rennassaince..

26. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Have you ever read Fritz Leiber's series of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories? Let me know the room number and I could get them to you Tuesday morning.

27. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Jake will know the room number and he will be happy to let you know what it is :) If I am awake enough I will be up for reading on Tuesday.

28. mad-jawa

mad-jawa Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2006
  29. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well I finished reading last night one of the worst books I ever bought. I have this urge to go to Bookman's and trade it in for credit already. This book was Al Franken's The Truth. It was basically an entire book bashing the Republican party. It was all negative, and all horrible. Now, don't get me wrong, I may not agree on certain political issues today, but an entire 300 page book bashing it all was a bit too much for me.

Of course, on a much better note, I immediately went into the new books I found at Bookman's the other day. These were the first three volumes of Trigun Maximum. Just like the anime, this manga is wonderful. It is definately one of my favorites. Would recommend this series to anyone, especially if they like Cowboy Bebop.