main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-SW Collectibles v 2.0

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Blur, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    @Instant Force Talk yeah, it doesn't matter what fandom it is, there are always those who seem to actively try and ruin it for everyone. But I've learned you've just gotta ignore them. Don't let a few bad ones spoil something that brings you joy.

I'd always advise anyone who is new to collecting to dip their toe in the water instead of jumping right in. Using the vintage Kenner SW line as an example, my tips would be 1.) Do some research. Learn all you can about the line. About variations (Big head vs. small head Han Solo for instance), repro items (reproduction items; typically weapons and capes that are good quality, but fan made), quirks like certain figures tendency to yellow, discolor or become loose. 2.) Make a list of what you want. Not everyone is a completist. Some just want their favorite character. Others the stuff they had as kids etc. 3.) Choose one, less expensive item to pursue. A cantina alien for instance. See how you like the hunt and the feeling of getting the item.

Vintage lunch boxes are awesome. I wish I could dedicate myself to just collecting them. The artwork on them is so cool. But they're expensive, and because I like mint/unused ones, they're even more so. So far I only have 4 (well 5 if you include my plastic TESB one). SW, TESB and ROTJ metal boxes and a metal G.I. Joe box. All mint and unused. Got lucky on 3-4 but I paid well north of $300 for the SW box last year.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    I 100% agree with you on this. And to be honest, my past experiences have me categorize people as a safety precaution. It is not perfect, but it allows me to be a little more open if I find them to be part of the "good" categories. And those who are not, I avoid attacking while using their behavior against them. In the end, it works for me. Plus it helps since I have been a fan of Dragon Quest since its N.A. debut as Dragon Warrior and have been a fan of Star Wars since 1981 or 1982.

Also 100% agree. I recommend the same thing even if I do not follow it myself. :p My last attempt at collecting Transformers had me aim at owning every Headmasters piece in TakaraTomy's Transformers Legends line. This resulted in me changing policies on both how I choose to collect, and how I treat individual fandoms. Plus one of the stores I chose to import those figures from is why I wrote that strongly worded reply to the fellow Boba Fett fan who chose to blame Medicon for all his figure-based issues.

As for my collection... And my collecting habits... It is why I called myself a "minority" here. Buying vintage does not work for me, I categorize my collectibles for the sake of determining what goes where, and everything dubbed "permanent" is intended to have a story behind my fandom. And with me hoping to have my Boba Fett graded before March or April, I am at the point that anything else I am convinced to both buy and have graded to be pure gravy. More so if my next acquisition looks AFA friendly.

I get that same feeling when I spent time visiting Nakano Broadway. It has been months since I visited, and I never know if the next time I visited would be the last. But each time I went there, it made me wish I was rich enough to live far enough to visit it each time I wanted to find something for my collection. And when it comes to that one game of mine... I love its design. And for me, I think it is the best cover since the Super Famicom version of Dragon Quest V.

And speaking of metal The Empire Strikes Back lunch boxes... I wish I could find and buy one that was pure mint/unused in condition. Because that is also how I like it. :)

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    @Instant Force Talk ahh, so you collect newer (non "vintage") items. I suppose the same things apply. Knowledge, budget etc.

Re: TESB lunchbox, I wish you luck. You probably know there are two different TESB metal lunchboxes; one w/real images and one w/artwork. I have the latter, and finding the former has been tricky. In the last two years or so I've come across 2 mint ones on eBay, and each time they went for over $300.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    Right now... Yes. The combination of my budget restraints and being super picky in regards to condition has helped make vintage buying not an easy task. And as a kid, I also had every non-rare version of every figure made from 1981/1982-1985. Which is why I am keeping the start of my collection low-key before I send off my 2010 mail away "VCP03" Boba Fett (aka "Rocket-Firing" Boba Fett) graded by AFA. It was one of those things that I do not regret buying before I find my "collecting groove". :boba:

Thanks for the heads up. I currently think I spent all of my collecting luck on the above mentioned figure. Recent research on what the average price of Star Wars: The Vintage Collection figures cost in 2010-2011, atop of the additional shipping costs, has me conclude that all premium fees I paid for it went towards the shipping costs. But I am also going to be visiting stores that specialize in vintage imports. So if I do see one both mint and complete, and under $300, I'll try to contact you right away.

Master_Rebado and Juke Skywalker like this.
  5. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I don't know if anyone else cares about this but.... March 2018 they are bringing out Princess Diana Pops and other Royal family members! I hate to admit it but I want them all!!
    Well, maybe not Charles, but the rest, yes.

Master_Rebado and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Aww those will be nice!

I'm anxiously waiting for Toy Fair to show up, Mattel previewed something strange this week, they posted that they're making dolls for "A Wrinkle in Time".... which is a Disney movie. Mattel lost their license for Disney products to Hasbro a couple of years ago. What the hell does this mean? Could be that they could be getting the adult dolls back, people had fits over how ugly the Emma Watson dolls were from "Beauty and the Beast" by Hasbro last year. I'd be happy if the whole line went back to them, Hasbro really doesn't have the experience that Mattel does for the heavy distribution and quality for dolls.

Last night my Three Zero 12" scale Game of Thrones Daenerys Targaryen arrived. Size wise she reminds me of the Disney store Premium elite line - her face is kind of small - figure is on the small side, but considering they also have done very tall characters from the series, I'm sure that she's just scaled to them. She looks good though. I'll work on photographing her this weekend. They recently announced an Arya. Arya and Danni are my 2 favorite characters so I'll probably pre-order her also.

Gamma626, cathiecat and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Picked up a vintage Kenner Silverhawks Mumbo Jumbo (One of the main baddie's henchman) figure. I'm currently the highest bidder on another Silverhawks figure (also a bad guy) and if I win it'll put me 2-3 figures away from being able to scratch Silverhawks off my to do list.

Silverhawks is a great line, but it can be frustrating to collect due to several factors; 1.) Scarcity (relative to other 80s toy lines), 2.) Condition (the vac-metalized application looks dazzling in M/NM condition, but it wears off easily and finding figures in C-8+ shape is extremely difficult. Their wings are also prone to wear and their action feature can weaken the figure over time) and 3.) Price (because of the first two factors).

Here's a picture (not of mine) of some of the figures if you're not familiar w/them. You can see how striking that shiny, vac-metalized look is.

[​IMG]

8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Hot toys is doing a Neo figure. I think I might need to have that one! Ditto to any agent smith, Morpheus, or Trinity Hot Toys figures.

Master_Rebado and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    @Juke Skywalker - those guys look cool. I don't think I've seen those before. I'll keep my eye out at thrift shops for you.

That Neo looks amazing. I can't wait to see their Trinity.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  10. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I can't wait either! Went and re-watched the first film today. Think I'll order them all when they're up.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Cool! You'll have to share pics when you get him!

12. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yep! See ya next year with Neo! Haha. :D

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Awesome :D!

Wouldn't mind adding a few Matrix pieces to my collection. I know McFarlane did some stuff back when Reloaded and Revolutions were released, but they're all pre-posed stuff.

Bought my first three vintage Battlestar Galactica figures. Pretty modest line @ only 10 figures and no vehicles; well, none in that 3 3/4" scale. Mattel released the Colonial Viper, Cylon Raider and few other ships in a smaller scale for some odd reason. I have the Viper, wanna get the Raider.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I had gotten a pair of Neo/Trinity figures once while thrifting but sold them. Neo had a busted hand. They were nicely detailed.

I like all of the old BSG stuff, I have a Daggitt somewhere that I chewed it's tail off when I was a kid :p

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    This week I received my Daenerys Targaryen figure from "Game of Thrones" by Three Zero, my first figure from them. She comes w/ Figure, dress, boots, cape, armor, the slave whip, bracelet, necklace, 4 extra hands, and Drogon w/ a small stand.

[​IMG]

Figure is sized kind of small w/ a smaller head and large hands. Figure has hair that I believe is a wig that's glued on in her traditional style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I enjoy the figure, detailing is very nice. A couple of small issues the armor is plastic and has 2 tiny knobs that you have to smash into the connecting piece with - it's near impossible to get them to fit together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Likewise w/ the foot holds on Drogon's tiny stand, he just can't sit on it. Figure also didn't have a stand, but that's not a big deal. I might've liked a little more lively expression on her face but it's a very spot on sculpt of Emilia Clarke.

[​IMG]

Overall very nice figure. I wish that I'd gotten Jon Snow, but who knows maybe they'll rerelease another version of him in a different costume. Arya is coming - I'll be sure to pre-order her.

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    You're not the only one. The tail is missing on roughly %98.5 of all vintage Daggit's. Speaking of which, got sniped on one yesterday. Lost by .05. He even had his tail :(

The likeness of that Daenerys is incredible! I know there was a short-lived 6" scale (I believe) GoT line that I only ever saw @ Walgreens. They were eventually discontinued and I don't think many characters were made and they certainly weren't up to that quality.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I found a Daggit randomly in my stuff yesterday when I was cleaning - he had his tail so I must've picked him up at some point as a replacement for mine.

I hate losing out by ridiculously low amounts :(

I have a bunch of the 6" figures, they're by Funko. I like them. I can't remember who all I have - I think I have Ned, Daenerys (I think 2 versions of her,) Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and maybe the Hound....actually no it's Khal Drogo. Ohhh they have a Tormond I need him and Brienne. They're kind of all over the place, I don't have them stored together. They have quite a lot of them, they did a playset for The Wall that I'd like to get at some point. I've got a Danny Pop. I don't have tons of GOT stuff, I kind of figure that they'll be good items to hold off on until after the show is over. Even w/ other prequel type series coming to HBO, prices for things should should go down so I can pick up everything.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Nice!

I wanted to pick up the core characters, but I just have too many irons in the fire right now. They look good. Prices seem to be holding @ the low end @ the moment.

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    FYI - looks like Hasbro has acquired the rights for Power Rangers.

Toyfair madness is in full swing - images from Jurassic World toys - Funko up the wazoo - I'm posting everything non-SW that I can find on my FB Toyverses feed - you can like it HERE to follow the latest news!

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Grrr Double post - sorry!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I haven't collected any Harry Potter stuff since that first wave of figures tied into the Sorcerer's Stone movie release, but that Hogwarts Lego set looks amazing. I'm not sure I want to know what the retail $ on it will be, but I might have to pick that up. Kinda odd to see a new wave of HP merchandising w/the Legos and laser tag wands etc. I know HP has sorta reached that status like SW where it's eternally popular, but the timing still seems a bit strange. Maybe there's a new wave of interest in all things Potter w/the Fantastic Beasts series of movies.

Same w/Power Rangers. The movie they released last year was a disappointment @ the b/o, so it wouldn't seem to exactly be "hot" right now.

23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Just picked up 2 vintage G.I. Joe figures; Falcon (1987) and Alpine (1985).

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have a couple of the Potter wands. A friend went to Disney in Florida and got them for me.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I spent yesterday cleaning through my shrine room and unearthed a box that took me a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at. I completely forgot I'd bought this Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull playset

[​IMG]

Dagobahsystem and Juke Skywalker like this.