main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-SW Collectibles v 2.0

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Blur, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Thanks. I looked some of these up on Amazon & some of them are somewhat pricey, but others are @ a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...r+Wars+Target+Exclusive+Action+Figure+and+Cup

Again, my hope is that they'll re-issue at least the OT ones at some point in the future. Probably won't happen, at the same time I guess it's possible.

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I think getting them still in the package and w/the figure, prices will be around retail (with s&h to boot). But if you can find just the cups, loose in a lot, I think you could put together a collection of them fairly cheap.

Did a quick eBay search and it doesn't look like there are many on there at the moment; at least under "Target cup/target glass". Star Wars figure cup turns up a lot more hits, but you've gotta sift through a lot of other stuff that comes up, and by including "figure" in the search title you almost guarantee they'll all be in the package.

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I have a few of those - I like them because they're in nice sized boxes that are great for displaying stuff on top of them

4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    They do display nice. Clear on front, sides and top, and the window is big enough to see the entire cup and figure. And they stack well. I still have my Luke Snow Speeder one in its box.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Guh I think I know what I'm going to splurge and use my Sideshow points towards. Hot Toys Alien Ellen Ripley. Of course now this makes me want to get the Gentle Giant 20+ inch redo of the vintage alien also. Of course I'd pretty much thought she'd be on my "to buy" list when she was previewed at Comic Con last year. I wonder if the Aliens version is coming soon also.

6. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow, that looks great! That Sideshow stuff is pricey, but the quality is phenomenal.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Since The X-files Blu-rays were discussed earlier in the thread, I decided to post some of my thoughts on the series on the Blu-ray set (didn't want to start a new thread on this). I'm way behind watching these, and just finished watching this first season. Essentially, three distinct elements really sold me re: getting this series on Blu last year:

1) Widescreen image for the first several seasons, previously unavailable on home video.

2) Enhanced picture/sound.

3) The reasonable price for each season; some were as low as $15, and I don't think any seasons were higher than $25 each. This was a far cry from the $50+ individual DVD season sets back in the 200X's.

Re: the first season, this may be the best season of the entire series. Some of the many stand-out episodes included:

Squeeze & Tooms: Eugene Tooms was a great villain, and I actually thought it was great to only feature him in only two episodes - instead of having him be a recurring villain (which would have gotten tedious after a while).

G. Bender: Bizzare episode, especially the sequences at the aliens' "home". Interestingly enough, this episode is even more relevant today than it was back in the '90's.

Shapes: Interesting take on the werewolf mythology. Elements of this episode reminded me somewhat of "The American Werewolf in London" film from the early '80's.

E.B.E.

Lazarus: Very poignant & extremely well done. The scene when Scully had the conversation with her Mom at the end (during her Dad's funeral) was very heartfelt.

Born Again: One of my top five stand-alone episode of the entire series; this story blended the idea of reincarnation with a mystery - superb.

The Erlenmyer Flask: Amazing season finale, which was one of the first episodes that really fed into the justifiable paranoia that Scully & Mulder feel throughout the series. The scene when the injured man (with green alien blood) is in the ambulance & the fumes from his blood?! over-power the EMT's was ripped straight from the headlines at the time. I.e., IIRC, sometime in Spring 1994, I remember reading a news article about a young woman who was dying in a hospital, and for some strange reason fumes were emanating from her body & caused some of the hospital staff to get sick/pass out. Strange!

Kalarular likes this.
  8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Picked up a vintage TMNT Michelangelo. That gives me all four of the original Turtles from '88. This one is particularly nice, as the bubble had simply fallen off the card and so the figure has never been played with. For $22 I couldn't pass him up.

Wanna grab 6-8 more of the figures and the Turtle's van and I'll be all set on the Turtles front.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I know PadmeLeiaJaina will especially get a kick out of this one.

I've been really Jonesing for a bit of 70s pop culture of late, so I've been chipping my way through some 70s TV. One of the shows I've been watching is S1 of Charlie's Angels. Naturally it had a doll tie-in line (By Hasbro, and pretty cheap on eBay by the looks of it), but I just found out that the great 70s toy giant MEGO put out a Farrah Fawcett doll (and tons of outfits I'm sure). Looked her up on eBay (Also not too expensive), and then I found this glorious commercial for it. Check out the little brother [face_laugh] !

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    lol oh yes everyone loved Farrah. They did a Barbie posing in Farrah's famous poster's pose :p

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I saw that in my searches. Very cool homage to one of the most famous posters of all-time. They sold something like 20 million of those things (I hope Farrah got paid by the poster). I know my brother had one of them.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Been trying with little success (see; no success) to finally start working on my G1 Transformers collection. Really only want 8-10 of the really iconic ones (Optimus, Megatron, Starscream etc.), but prices are high and the condition of the figures is typically poor due in no small part to the transforming nature of the toys. Not giving up, but this is going to be a challenge.

Anyway, to placate myself, I won a vintage G.I. Joe Flint (1985). That takes me up to 41 Joes (not including vehicle drivers) and puts me at 11 away from completing my "must have" list.

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I never see Transformers when I'm out junking. Then again I don't know what to look for with them either, but I think I'd recognize them if I saw them.

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    They've been making TF pretty much non-stop since 1984 (with that initial lineup being an amalgam of various robot lines produced in Japan by a company called Takara that were bought by Hasbro and re-branded TF), but the only ones that are really worth anything are the G1 ('84-'91), and even there the most expensive ones are those first few years and the iconic characters (Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream etc.). Those I'm certain you'd know on sight.

As far as I know, none of the subsequent TF lines have shot up in value on the secondary market, save for perhaps exclusives and other special releases. I doubt you'll have much luck when you're out thrifting, but there's a good bet you'll find newer stuff; particularly stuff tied into the Bayformers movies.

15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Well, I finally found some TF success in the form of Sideswipe. He w3asn't at the top of my list of the 8-10 or so G1 TF's I want to pick up, but he was the right condition and the right price ($34 w/free s&h!). My goal now is to focus on TF for the next few months, maybe make some inroads.

My list of must-haves is:

Optimus Prime
    Sunstreaker
    Jazz
    Sideswipe [check]
    Hound

Megatron
    Soundwave
    Starscream

Wants include the Dinobots, Wheeljack, Mirage and the other Decepticon jets.

16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, Ripley is pretty much a must own too, sad as it is to admit for my wallet. I hope they do a Hicks as well but I won't hold my breath.

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Just picked up two 80s G.I. Joes; Crimson Guard and Ripper. That gives me 43 vintages Joes and puts me 9 away from completing my "must-have" list.

cubman987 and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Picked up a bunch more of the curvy and tall new Barbies. They've released the last batches including ones w/ outfits. I now have a few tall and short dolls left to get.

Went to Frys grocery store tonight and they had the Batman Vs. Superman Mattel dolls on clearance for $10. All they had was one Superman so I got him. He'll go nicely w/ my Superman display whenever I can get it out and on display. He'll go w/ my Hot Toys Christopher Reeve, 2 custom Smallville Clark Kents, and a 10" Superman returns Superman. I didn't have a Cavill so I'm happy with that.

Wish they had Wonder Woman, I guess I'll have to get her from Mattel.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Won a G.I. Joe Dragonfly helicopter on eBay. Definitely a childhood favorite. It's amazing how well made and well designed those 80s Joe vehicles were. Until the line took a nosedive in the late 80s that is.

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Won a 8" Spider-Man from Mego's "World's Greatest Super Heroes" line. I already have a Hulk. Wanna add a few more from the line before I'm done; A Green Goblin to give the Marvel side of things some baddie balance. Then Batman, Robin, Superman and the Joker for the DC side.

Lots of cool figures in the line, but some of them get a bit pricey.

cubman987 and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Got a pretty awesome deal. Was watching a lot of 20 vintage Marvel-themed cups from the 70s on eBay. These are those old school 7-11 Slurpee style cups. I love that stuff. Lot had Captain America, Dare Devil, Nick Fury. Opening bid was .99, and I watched all week. No bids. No bids. No bids. Finally, I put in a $2.00 "What the heck" bid and won! Pretty stoked to get these. I love the 70-era superhero stuff. It was really the first superhero golden age, only instead of them being in films, they were all over TV (Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man. Attempts at Captain America and Doctor Strange).

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Starting to collect yet another series, though this one should be "easy" to complete. Picked up a Tron figure (Tron himself) made by Tomy to tie in with the release of the film (1982). Only 4 figures in the line, and sadly no Yori (booooo!) and two light cycles. NECA re-released the entire line plus an additional light cycle in 2002 to coincide with the 20th anniversary. By all accounts the figures are virtually identical save for copyright info and the little discs that come with each figure are a tad different, but I want the actual vintage figures. A lot of lines have re-released figures that are almost identical to the originals (Transformers with a series of anniversary figures, and even Star Wars did a 4-pack w/Luke, Leia Han and Chewie), but I want the real deal, even if it means spending more $ and the figures having a little wear.

The figures themselves are neat. They're translucent and molded in the color of the characters. Here, if you're interested.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Haha you just can't stop! Other than a few funkos I'm holding off of buying stuff - vacation to Europe is just around the corner. My non-SW purchase is going to be a new camera to take that will be lightweight.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Can't stop and can't focus :p!

Ohhh, vacay to Europe. Nice. Had a friend who backpacked across Europe a few years ago. Loved it. Have fun!

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yep going on another Med cruise - a lot of similar ports but also have a new stop in France, but 2 (hopefully) new countries - Greece and Turkey. Still not 100% sure we'll do Turkey, not going to capital though so it might be ok. Next year is Australia! Woot! Woot!