main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-verbal communication in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Newbie_wan_Kenobi, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newbie_wan_Kenobi

Newbie_wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    One of the things that most impressed me about TPM and AOTC was the many times that thoughts and feelings were communicated between characters through facial expressions. Some examples include the great glare that litle Ani gives Mace in TPM when Mace expresses doubts about him. In AOTC there were some mysterious/knowing looks from Yoda when Sifo-Dyas was mentioned as well as the suspiscous/quizical expression he several times uses at Palpitaine. I'm interested to find what other examples people can think of, espescially in the OT because as I said these are some of my favourite parts as they quite subtly hint at the "real" story occurring just below the surface of the movies.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    You bring up a very good point here.
    The Prequel Trilogy seen as one film is building up to some big plot twists. When looking back on the films you begin to pick up the clues from the facial features.

Palpatine has a lot of great expressions. In particular as Amidala leaves the capital in The Phantom Menace and the suggestion of emergency powers in Attack of the Clones.

Yoda is the other character that sticks out in my mind. There is his famous look at Palpatine but also a few when he is interviewing Anakin in Episode I.

There are a lot of plots happening beneath the surface and the looks you mentioned are portals into that plot.

-Seldon

3. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    I don't know if this is spoiler material, it's speculation from my part, but....

IT seems to me in TPM The Jedi Council is well aware of the fact their time has come.
    This is based upon their knowledge of the prophecy of the chosen one. My guess is they knew that when he should arrive he would eventually bring with him the destruction of the current order, since it had become a part of the unbalance which needed to be restored and which is the basis of the prophecy in the first place.

THEY fear him, for he resembles their destruction.

4. SapphireAD

SapphireAD Jedi Master

Aug 24, 2004
    Yeah, I noticed the facial expressions the characters have can tell a lot more than what they're saying at times. Here's agood example, check out the conversation Obi-wan and Jango have the first time they meet. They're both being polite with one another, but you can tell by looking at their faces they don't like each other too much :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.