main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Nonhuman Lead

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by The Most Cunning Jedi, Apr 4, 2015.

1. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    All of the live-action Star Wars films so far have had human characters in the main lead spots (Qui-Gon/Padme, Anakin, Luke) and from the trailer, it seems TFA is continuing that tradition. But we've also had some very iconic and beloved nonhumans in pivotal supporting roles throughout the saga.

Do you think we could ever see a SW film where the lead/main character is a nonhuman? Would you like to see it? If it happened, what species would you like the main character to be?

I'm all for it and I think it would shake things up nicely. I'd love to see a film where the main character is a Togruta or Nautolan.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  2. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I could see them giving Yoda a spinoff film, for one. The more and more spinoffs they make, the more and more likely it is we'll eventually have films with non-human leads. But for the main saga films (and any potential new trilogies of any sort down the line), I think we'll continue to see the "Big Three" (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme in the PT; Han, Luke, Leia in the OT) with mostly human characters at the forefront. Though I could also see one of the "Big Three" being non-human as well.

The Most Cunning Jedi likes this.
  3. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Ahsoka being a Togruta was really great in my opinion.Finally we got a main "lead" character which wasn't a human.(that's in TCW of course)
    I would love to see a nonhuman character in the lead trio in the sequels .

The Most Cunning Jedi likes this.
  4. The Most Cunning Jedi

Dec 24, 2014
    I agree with both of you, they should definitely try to make more trios like Ahsoka-Obi-Anakin.

5. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    To have a central nonhuman character just reinforces the idea that we are all different.
    It may be harder to a casual viewer to relate to that character at the beginning but then the conclusion is so much grander.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  6. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Like if you want a Jar-Jar spinoff!!!

Like if you dislike the fact that I made a Jar Jar joke.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yoda is potential candidate.

Maybe Ahsoka.

I guess when Han gets one, Chewie could also be at the front.

8. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015

:rolleyes:
    Dislike for trolling.

9. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    [face_whistling]
    huh? what?

Okay, seriously, they're going to make a Yoda movie eventually, though I'd rather them not.
    If they do, I hope that it's not an origin movie that destroys the mystery of the character. Instead, a movie about Yoda doing stuff when he's already been a powerful Jedi for a while.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If you're going to have an alien lead, then have an alien lead! Ahsoka may have looked a bit alien, but did she ever act like one? IMO, she was just a human girl with a funny head.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Lumpy, Itchy and Mala. Totally alien leads don't work :p
    But really - I'm not sure what you mean by 'acting alien'.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I mean she should act in ways that a teenage human girl wouldn't. If she had been a human character, how would that have changed anything? Not at all.

13. The Most Cunning Jedi

Dec 24, 2014
    To be fair, she was taken to live in the Temple from a very young age so she probably doesn't have much connection to her heritage that she can remember.
    A lot of aliens in Star Wars have their fair share of human qualities next to their alien ones though, some even get adorned in fancy robes to attend the opera, and then act as senators for their respective home worlds the next day.

The Ewoks may have wanted to eat Han, Chewie, and Luke but they still loved to make music, dance, and hear stories! :p

Sarge and Saga Explorer like this.
  14. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I'd be all for it but I don't know if it would ever happen.

15. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I also think if we do ever see it, the species will need to be at least human-like. Thinking about some of the alien characters who have played more prominent roles recently (Ahsoka, Hera), I think there's a reason they've made those characters species like Togruta and Twi'lek. Makes them at least a little more relatable.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    As of now, we still don't know who that is, do we?

17. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Seeing how much people love Groot and Rocket, I feel Disney will give us something like this in near future...

I would really love to see Yoda's anthology movie!!! Can you imagine?? 800 years.. There is a lot to cover...

18. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Why are you assuming aliens would act differently from humans? Especially when they live in a multi-species culture such as Star Wars where the majority of the population is human. Most of those teenage girl habits you are talking about are typically cultural in nature. Assuming they don't live in an isolated culture there is no reason to believe they will act distinctively different from humans.

19. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    I could imagine it happening as an animated movie; there's simply much more precedent for non-human leads in animation, especially these days. Back when the Jim Henson company was doing big and beautiful things a live-action alien film would have seemed more plausible.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, imagine a Star Wars film that looked like The Dark Crystal!

This needs to happen! Come on, Lucasfilm, call Frank Oz immediately!

Jangounchained1990 likes this.
  21. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    Don't I wish!

I actually must confess that one of my most deeply guarded dreams is for Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles to get the Jim Henson treatment. It's the only way I imagine it turning out right.

22. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I could see them doing something with a more human like character such as a Twi'lek, at least it would be a good way to ease into it. I agree though, non-human leads tend to be taboo. This is usually for good reason, and has to do with psychology.

23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I don't think we will get a nonhuman lead for the new trilogy because shifting lead protagonists is not that good of an idea. As for spin-off films, it is incredibly likely we will get alien leads then.

24. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I want a Hutt movie. Nothing but Hutts. Maybe throw in a few slaves girls in gold bikinis.

I like them Hutts and I cannot lie.

25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think they should have an alien lead that is also female, gay/transgendered, handicapped, overweight, left-handed, elderly and atheistic. That would REALLY lead to a grand conclusion.