main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Noob In Need With After Effects 6.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ScottyW-, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyW-

ScottyW- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    Hey,
    Im new here and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with Adobe After Effects 6.0, I cant seem to get the lightsaber to follow my prop rod. Can someone please explain it to me? I tried using the motion tracker, but how to i make the lightsaber track along with the Motion Tracker. If someone could help me it would mean alot.
    Stumped User.
    ScottyW- | 13

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You don't. You'll have to use the pen tool to keyframe a mask shape around your prop blade. For best results, you will need to do this on every frame.

Welcome to the forum.

M. Scott

3. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Oh Yeah,

With The Advanced Lightning in After Effects 6.0, if i want to make it force lightning. So i record my self with my hand out in a way that resembles force lightning. If i move my hand in the movie how would i make the lightning follow my hand as well
    Confused User.
    ScottyW- |13

4. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Yes, yes...to Michael you listen....Keyframing is the...well...key my friend...for the lightning tutorial click Here

5. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks Guys,
    So every frame i have to use the pen tool to outline the prop rod? oh one more question, is there a way to skip ahead one frame at a time, instead of going on the time line?

6. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Use the Time Control Window

7. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Ctrl Right or Ctrl Left for foward or backward, respectively.

8. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Or you can try that too lol

9. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    I hope im not bugging anyone, But everyframe i made a line on my prop rod. But if i go to see the lightning the pen outlines minimize, and the lightning wont follow :/ If anyone has time Can you explain it to me step by step.

Confused User,
    ScottyW- | 13

10. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    goto theforce.net/theater and look at all their tutorials for after effects, that will help w/ lightsabers.

11. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
  12. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    If you still have questions...you can ask. Don't be afraid. You'll run into some people who hate helping but nevermind them

13. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks a lot guys

14. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Well, if you are referring to people such as myself, we don't hate helping, we hate helping pirates who don't bother to read the manual. My case: What is AE for? Animating. How is animating done? Keyframes. Why by AE if you don't know how to keyframe, and don't read the manual? Hmm.... but it isn't such a waste if you just download it. This is why I am always hesitant to help.

Also, page up and page down move by one frame at a time.

15. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    I understand dude but it's a humane thing to do. We've read the manuals, and I still need some work, helping others is not going to kill us nor take our skills away. Let's just keep TFN Boards the way it was created to be....helpful.

EDIT: Like an After School Special, I'm telling ya :D

16. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Hey Obi-Juan,

I Saw Ryan-w's tutorial for making a saber glow, but i think he was using another version of AE, because some of the things that were on his were not on mine :/ My Dad got me the H.O.T Hands on training book, but that didnt really help with the whole lightsaber. Do you guys prefer any books, that will help me? I hate being a Neuisince [face_plain] but i do appreciate all your help :). Do you have 6.0?

ScottyW- | 13

17. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Almost everyone in here is using an old version of AE with an exception of new 3D Programs...I myself have 5.5 Production Bundle. You're not going to find any Lightsaber tutorials in books...that's something you have to do on your own. If you need anymore help, just ask me dude. Plug-ins are still there...just in different locations. You have to search for them as they tend to move around when the programs are updated.

18. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Okay, Thanks alot dude

19. jmubaraki

jmubaraki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    silverfox, if you dont like helping ppl out (whether they be legit or "pirates"), then dont bother posting on those threads at all. Ppl like you give this community a bad rep.
    I'm sure u have ur reasons, but the average noob who visits these forums doesnt know what those reasons are.
    Also manuals r helpful. But part of the reason this forum exists is for users to help each other out. So if a person requests a tutorial, at least try to be reasonable or just dont reply to the thread. Pretty simple really.

20. JaredE

JaredE Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2003
    Theres alot of other great tutorials out there like this :eek:

Tutorial :)

21. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I can understand why people ask questions for After Effects. It is a pretty overwhelming program to those who don't know it. Starting out it can be confusing & lots of questions come up. I see this all the time since I teach the program. Also tutorials can be quite boring, poorly written, & don't answer questions if something unexpected comes up. However there is no need to be rude & berate someone because you happen to know the answer to their question.

22. ThePaladin

ThePaladin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2004
    Just a question ScottyW, did the saber battle between Michal Scott and Ryan Wieber (Ryan vs. Dorkman) Affect your username at all?

Oh, and don't mind SilverFox, he's just suspicious when someone asks for help, because he knows how easy it is to get illegal programs. However, my Mother has been a very light hearted, posative person all her life, and her optomism has caused me to think Innocent until proven guilty. That might be a bad thing in some cases, but I'll choose to remain hopeful.

Anyway, have fun, and don't be discouraged!

23. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Jmubaraki, note that I did answer his question about frames, in my initial post.

Can't people look a little on their own?

24. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks Paladin,

My username, is my Real name :) though i did see Ryan vs. Dorkman, loved it :).

Scott Walker | 13

25. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Thank You Guys For all Your Help, I'll try figureing stuff out on my own now, but uh... You might know what itll look like when its done [face_plain] (Scaaarrryyy) If i search, and i search, and i search, and i still cant find it, ill be sure to ask you guys :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.