main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Noob In Need With After Effects 6.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ScottyW-, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyW-

ScottyW- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    2 minutes later*

Uh, im stumped... Im starting out with something simple that isnt to long, like a commercial, and i outline the saber frame by frame, but the lighning just wont follow. Am i using the wrong thing as a lightsaber? What do you guys use? and if its not to much to ask can you guys kinda give me a step by step instructive? if its not too much.
    Entwined User,
    Scotty Walker- |13

2. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Hey dude,

just make sure you draw the mask for the saber only for the very first frame and then just activate the keyframes for the shape of the mask. From there on ONLY drag the points of the mask to their next position, DON´T draw a new mask for each frame. Maybe you´re doing that right already, but it sounds to me like you are trying to draw a new shape for each frame. If you follow Ryan´s Video Tutorial for AE you should soon enough find out that´s quite easy to do.

Also I can´t remember anything in that tutorial that should differ from AE 5.5 to AE 6.0 as Ryan is only using standard stuff like masks and standard AE filters.

Hope this helps and good luck.

3. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Well you can use Pixel's tutorial on lightning. You can keyframe that to move anywhere you want...as far as the lightsaber keyframing is concerned if you're using Masking on each frame then yes you are doing it right ( by right I mean masking the first frame and activating the Mask Shape...the little stopwatch next to it...then dragging the points, Like what HTS_HetH said)...I'm having fun lol keeping asking me questions!

4. lureofthedarkside

lureofthedarkside Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    The only thing that I cant get about the rotoing, is that the blade seems to fluctuate a lot when played back. It doesnt seem to move naturally. I have zoomed in to 400% and rotoed, but I still seem to get the unnatural "shaking" I am beginning to use the "easy ease" and keyframing every other frame, but it still looks rough. Any tips?

5. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    "Go with the flow" is all that I can say. I get those shakes too. It's cool because you can past it off as Lightsaber Pulsing

6. JustinZ

JustinZ Jedi Master star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    Try doubling the frame rate. If you are working with interlaced footage and the saber is moving fast, you might need to roto every field, not just every frame. Doubling the frame rate will let you see each field. Or you can deinterlace your footage, then you don't have to worry about the fields and can just roto every frame.

Justin

7. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks a lot guys :) Im gonna go try that stuff now, wish me luck :/

8. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Hey Guys,

Im having trouble (again) On the white solid Ryans tutorial said to click the little twisty button next to it, and when he did that it had "Mask 1 > Shape"
    all mine says is "Transform" there isnt a mask one, you guys know whats going on?

9. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    That would only happen if you didn't make a Mask in the first place

I'm here all night folks...be sure to tip your waitresses

10. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    lol.

You guys have been a great help :) i can actually make the mask follow the prop blade now... I LOVE YOU GUYS! lol

11. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Snoogans!

Translation: Cool!

12. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    lol, Hey Obi-Juan how do i put the color in it now? my ryan tutorial that i d/ld is going haywire on me :/

oh and another question: When i activate and deactivate my lightsaber, how will i make the prop blade dissappear while its deactivated?

13. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Well my friend...heard of DIGITAL EXTRAPOLATION? On shots where you want to activate a lightsaber...you're suppose to have a sbaer without a rod. Then that's when DIGITAL EXTRAPOLATION comes in.

14. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    HaHa, i shouldve been able to come up with that on my own. :) well im embarrassed

15. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    But how do i add color ?

16. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Well if you have already made three duplicate from your original solid...then you should do the Ryan's 10:20:30(or 40) ratio. Of course after you have given the first solid a Gaussian Blur of either 1, 2, or 3. Depending how close or far your saber prop is from the camera

Edit: Then you go to Effect>Adjust>Color Balance. Make sure Preserve Luminosity is checked and give it a color. Then play with the numbers...

17. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    This is great stuff. Someone should make a tutorial for it.

18. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    lol come on leave the guy alone...I was once like him many moons ago.

19. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    lol, real nice pick on the kid :( i still cant get that color to work, i change the imbalance but nothings happining. What do i have to do with the white solids?

20. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    That's my fault I left a step out....once you gave the blurs to your solids....go back to your footage Comp and whatever comp the solids are in plug that into the footage comp....then give it color...sorry

Eidt: It's cool I just think people here pick on noobs to much

21. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    I'm not being mean. I'm simply stating, this is covered STEP BY STEP in the tutorial.

22. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks obi-juan

23. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Let me know if it worked

24. ScottyW-

Feb 11, 2004
    Im obviously doing something wrong [face_plain] I changed the colors around to try to get any color at all in it, and it didnt add it to my film. The 3 solids are all White right? or are 2 black? and how do i plug them into my Composition?

25. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    On your Solids comp there is suppose to be one ALL BLACK SOLID at the very bottom. That allows you to change the color when you put that comp into the footage comp...let me know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.