main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Noob questions...

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by mpzork, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpzork

mpzork Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi,
    I'm new to the 3d modeling but I want to learn. What is the best way to start? I downloaded Blender, do you think that's a good way to start learning how to model and animate? I'm not shure what to move onto after that. Is lightwave the best modeling program out their? What is the differece b/w all the different formats. Please be nice, you all were once new this as well.
    Thanks

2. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    personally, i use bryce... but thats not what you would wanna get into if you are really serious, i just use that for fun some.

blender is great to get started, but you will probably want to upgrade at some point...
    i say use that to be sure that this is the field/hobby you wanna get into and then you can upgrade to something...

the "best" is between 3ds max and lightwave, both have their advantages, but max is more widely supported here with models and users.
    a close 3rd is maya, but thats more for professionals and much more expensive. it may be a "better" program, but it is definately not what you wanna start with just for fun, too much of an investment.

anyway, welcome and good luck :)

3. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    if i remember right maya is cheaper than max :p some versions of maya can be had for 2000 while max is 3000.. gratned lightwave is still cheaper 1500 (these are all listed retail prices btw) Blender can produce some really good work, as seen in cg talk, it can compete with the best out there under the right person.. use what you feel the most comfortable with, at this level there really isn't a bad choice. Lightwave Max Maya XSI C4D, they're all great apps and all have good and bad things, find the one that fits you best and use it :p most of them have demo/trial versions you can use..

*notes this is the second "which one is better" thread on the board*

*sighs again*

4. Only-One-Tea-Cozy

Only-One-Tea-Cozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    If you're serious about cgi, I'd suggest skip max. If you have the persevearance go straight to maya, it's more widely used. But it is also harder to use.

If you want to learn it for personal use, I suggest max, there is more help around for it than any other program I've found, the tutorials are great, and it's just easy to pick up and use, well, as easy as 3d gets, buts that's all IMO.

I've heard XSI and C4D are very good, but I've never used them. Looking into getting the ple versions as we speak.

Remember before you buy any to test them, all except max have PLE versions. Max has GMAX, but you can't render with it, actually I'm not sure if lightwave has a PLE, but if they don't then they are loosing a lot of business I suspect.

5. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Lightwave if installed without a key and dongle will work in a "demo mode" which is basically PLE

tho i dont remember what its restritions are since i've never used this demo mode of lightwave since i have a key and dongle :p

if you ask me which software i do like, its lightwave.. sure i could get used to the others out there, but lightwave just gets along with me better.. it wont be the same for everyone tho.. so its why i encourage you to chose based on your own tastes and not someone elses..

but like it was mentioned in the other thread, if you're looking into working in a particular place.. maybe you should work with the software that they use?

just a thought :)

6. rommel145

rommel145 Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2004
    if you want to take a look Maya. Alias has a free Maya complete version except the only difference is when you shade the object it will say over the object in transparent words "not for commercial use."

for more information go here
    http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/maya_ple/index.shtml

7. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Direct quote from the sticky thread at the very top of this forum:

4). APPLICATION POLLING - Another thing we get TIRED of seeing is "which app is best" threads. This is like asking is Coke or Pepsi better? It's all a matter of preference. If you want to talk about the features of an app fine. But please avoid direct negative comparisons from one app to another. I KNOW there are some rules in this universe like... SI and MAYA's character toolsets are more robust than TRUESPACE's. But lets leave alot of this to the pros to compare apps. professionally. You can buy any CGI or video magazine and search their review articles on their websites to find product reviews. Very few of us here can offer a better opinion. KOOL article about all the apps available 3/5/04: http://www.insidecg.com/feature.php?id=136

8. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I would stick with Blender and try to move up when you can, but if you do move up, 3ds Max closely resembles Maya so it would be easier to learn Maya if you knew Max. But, for ILM they require knowledge in either Maya or Softimage, just if you want to work there.

9. mpzork

mpzork Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2004
    so, for all the difforent model formats why cant they have one universal model format for all the programs to use?

10. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    3ds almost does that, but the companies WANT you to only use THEIR product, so they dont wanna encourage compatibility...

11. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth.. fact is, that particular sentiment is held only by Discreet, makers of 3DS MAX. MAX is pretty much the only format that can't be read by anything else.. Most other programs are used for visual effects and the like, where they have to be compatible.. Take Maya and LW, for example, two of the most-used programs in Hollywood. As far as compatibility, you'd almost think they were the same program.. you can swap models back and forth between Maya and LW all day, and never see a change. Or make your models in LW, export to Houdini to animate, the take that animation back into LW to render, or send it to Maya or Renderman. It's what we call a "pipeline". And the only program out there that doesn't like to play in a pipeline is MAX. Which, coincidentally, also happens to be one of the most expensive programs.

12. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ^ok, i was just guessing, but i am right kinda, at least about max.... anyway, question answered :)

13. mpzork

mpzork Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2004
    So, Maya is the program all the pros use for star wars and stuff, like ILM grpahics? Is that the most widly used program in comercial grpahics design?

14. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Maya, XSI and Houdini as well as a bit of LW, Wings3d (so I hear) and several proprietary applications developed for ILM (and by ILM) are used at ILM.

15. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    wings3d?!!?

thats new info for me.... any idea what they use it for?

16. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Um... modelling...

:D

I have chatted with an ILM'r and he was saying that they "may have cracked open wings" to get a few models blocked out quickly. I doubt it is an official part of the production pipeline, but it's free, stable, and runs on linux... so why not?

17. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    oh, ok, just for concepts and stuff? thats cool. neat :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.