main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** NOObie's... all appz all questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Uns33N - There are several mid-poly models right here on SF3D that you're free to use.

Valek - Read the manual, that's what it's there for. If you've somehow "lost your manual", use the help files. Newbie questions are one thing.. learning how to run the program, you're on your own.

2. profh0011

profh0011 Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2005
    Hi everybody! I hope this is the proper place to post this question...

I'm working with 3D Studio Viz R2. I've run into a rather odd problem. When I'm doing an animation, any parts of a model that have "map scaler" applied to the material assingments will not move during the animation! It took me 2 months to narrow down that this was the problem. (No kidding!) Right now, parts without materials will animate, and parts with materials but no map scaler will animate. For obvious reasons (I hope), some material maps NEED "map scaler" applied, and not being able to do so really cuts down on the quality of the visuals.

Is there a way around this-- some option I haven't found yet? Is this a defect in the program? Is it something that has been addressed in later versions of the program? Any help would be appreciated.

Henry

3. Xephalon

Xephalon Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    Whats the best program to make the 3D thing?

4. Uns33N

Uns33N Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2005
    JEDI2016: Thanks for the help, I had gone through the downloads section of this site and found some great models. I just needed a little more experience with this prog and how to use it with more populated scenes. Basically I went from super-basic 3d scenes from my 3 month intro to 3D class(lighting and apply effects to a single room with mabye 20 basic geometries) into animation (and my final which is to recreate the downfall of the deathstar from A New Hope)
    I guess I just wasn't expecting the huge jump in performance from the small scale models to geometries that are as large as say, the deathstar trench with animated fighters flying through. For all you noobs out there that are even more noob than me, learn the value of "hide unselected" and wireframe...
    Stick with it and it will eventually happen
    Your noob of noobs,
    Uns33N

5. mini-mace

mini-mace Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2005
    hi im the noob noobier than you

6. yosh89

yosh89 Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    Hi, I have a few questions. I downloaded the Shuttle model from scifi3d, and it definately has hinges where the lower 2 wings can go up and down. Problem is, I don't know how to move the wings on their hinges, and it seems as if both the wings are grouped together. If you remember the scene in Revenge of the Sith, when Palpatine's shuttle enters coruscant in the storm and it is accompanied by two ties, I am trying to get the animation where the wings fold up.

Also some software questions. When I create an environment map, and make it a sphere so it's all around, if I view it in the viewports it's all pixelated and zoomed in, and is the same when rendered. Yet the background image is 1024x1024? How do i set the camera so it can move to different parts of the background image, say I wanted to film a starfighter coming from space, then flying past the camera and towards a planet, like in pixelmagics trailer. He told me that he used some kind of 2d card thing and panned across.

Another thing, I once was able to view models fully textured in the viewport, but now they aren't, they just have plain colours instead - yeah it's a performance boost, but I want to see the fully textured model, how do I enable that?

ty in advance

7. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm going to assume you're using 3DS Max, all though you did not specify what software suite you were using.

The wings problem is a complicated one, and requires the editing of the actual model. If you feel you are up for the challenge, PM me and I will help you.

The Environment map is an easy one. Just open up your material editor and Environtment window. Click and drag the box with the environment map over to an empty texture pallet (Sphere), and select Instance. There you can edit it. You'll see a drop down window that says "Screen", change that to something else, like "Sphere environment. Then play with the tiling settings to get it to a reasonable look and feel. Tweek to taste.

Finally, if you want to see a texture in the view port, select the texture in the Material Editor window, and click on the little rubic's cube button just below the pallets. When toggled, you'll get the effect you need.

8. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Which is easier to learn with? Maya or 3dsmax?

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    IMHO Maya has a longer learning curve, but it's also way more complete out of the box while much of Studio Max's strength is in it's plug-ins. I'm a long time Max user myself, but I've tinkered in Maya too and both are excellent applications to use. If you're just getting started in 3D I'd learn on a demo version first and then purchase it when you're comfortable. :)

Hope that helps!

10. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Well, i got Maya PLE a few months ago and bought a book...Just wondering whether 3ds Max will be easier to start up with...Anyways, what plugins do you use for the 3dSMax?

11. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    IMHO Maya has a longer learning curve, but it's also way more complete out of the box while much of Studio Max's strength is in it's plug-ins.

Well I sometimes say that it depends more on the way your brain works, if you get used to the stack based approach of Max or the procedural graph approach of Maya. IMHO Maya is a little more self consistent and the workflow is more thought out so once you wrap your brain wraps around it I think it scales up much better. But I'm not really a Max user so I may be biased ;-).

12. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    That's a good point - I've heard similar experiences from others I've met in the past. Maya really is awesome I personally just happened to get used to Max first. ;) I do plan on learning Maya more extensively in the near future though.

I've used a variety of plug-ins over the years, but the ones I use the most currently are plug-ins like Combustion and Dreamscape. Just depends on what I have a license for at the time and what's needed for the project. ;)

13. _darthvalek_

_darthvalek_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    Hey guys...i just got Autodesk 3D Studio Max 8 and i Really want to learn it.I know its hard, and it takes a lot of time.
    The first answers i need is how do i change the background to my models?
    My X Y Z dissapeared, and i don't know how to put them back, so i can control my models.

I would appreciate some answers.

14. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I think what you're looking for can be found in the UI and preferences controls - you may also look up "transform gizmo" in the manual because I'm not sure how it's handled in version 8. :)

Hope that helps!

15. _darthvalek_

_darthvalek_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    Uh...thanks, I'll look for it.

What do you think?Should i or not continue my "quest" for 3 D Studio Max?

I have:
    Intel Pentium 4 2666 MHZ
    Nvidia Ge Force Fx 5200, 128 mb, 128 bit, but im buying tomorrow ASUS ATI 9550GE, AGP 8X, 128Mb TV-out , DVI , 2nd VGA
    Erm i have 256 DDRAM (that sucks)

16. jamesedwards

jamesedwards Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2005
    Another background question.
    I have done the hole drag background from enviroment to material editor but then when I render the scene the stars all move around (looks like they are twinkiling) any idea what I am doing wrong?

17. shimijedi

shimijedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2005
    Hello there, I am currently getting into this Animation. I am not here to model, I just wan't to make a space scene or somewhat. The turitoals are so hard to understand,and I really quiet can't get the hang of this. I just want to make a space scene or somthing Star Wars, but I can't seem to find the right rescources to do this. I downloaded Blender and 3ds Max 7, both very hard to Get used to.

So I was wondering could someone give me a could Turitoal or maybe a link, or maybe some Advice how to make a scene or a Star war's scene with Animation. I tryed downloading the plugins for 3ds Max 7 and I have no Idea how to import it or what not. So bassically I am a noob, but I am really willing to learn.

Could anyone prehaps give me some advice or good explainable turtioals for those programs.

HELP NEEDED DEARLY <

Thank you guys

Shimi

18. yosh89

yosh89 Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    Does anyone know if there are any 3DS teams or SCIFI3D teams that are recruiting people who want to learn more?

19. QuiGonDave

QuiGonDave Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2004
    Hi all, I've got (another) question about shadows.

I wanted to create a flyby, with a xwing flying above my appartment building. I created a plane, and assigned the matte/shadow material to it. Then I made a target spot to create the shadow on the plane, but this doesn't work. I am probably thinking too easy, but I can't get it to work. What I want is the shadow of the xwing to be on the appartment building when it's flying over it (I made the plane fit the building).
    How can I achieve this? Here is a screenshot:
    http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=39CY7G4ZDEGE63V7JU3EGLD7L9

20. jamesedwards

jamesedwards Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2005
    Does anyone know a good way to cut down on rendering time in 3dstudio max without changing models

21. QuiGonDave

Aug 29, 2004
    Use a compression?

22. eternalmagus

eternalmagus Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    is there any chance someone could direct me to a tutorial on how to blow up ships in 3ds max 7, im really new so im not too familiar with the controls, i know some animation but not much thanks

23. QuiGonDave

Aug 29, 2004
    Look for tutorials with particles and PBomb.

24. eternalmagus

Jun 6, 2005
    haha ok that seemed to work, but now the major thing is im making a sequence where a SSD and a few other star destroyers are flying past the camera. (remember the scene in ROTJ where the falcon flyes past all the rebel command ships) well i wanted to do something like that, but when i import a tie fighter into the scene with my SSD, or even a star destroyer they are HUGE compared to the star destroyer. Ive tried using the scale tool but it distorts the model either by flattening it or bunching it up.... ive also tried to scale it with X Y Z values but i cant get it accurate. is there an easier way to make them kind of to scale because the tie fighters are like 50x bigger thern my SSD when i import them. I am using 3ds max 7. no plugins :(

25. eternalmagus

Jun 6, 2005
    ok nvm on that one i actually figured something out haha.... ii feel so special.... now onto my rendering!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.