main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NOOOO!!!! heart sinks at EP VI rumor (spoiler?)...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dafttom, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Can we first all agree that Padme isn't alive in ROTJ? I mean...that would be plain stupid.

"Hey look..Padme is alive. Er..her kids don't seem to care...nobody does...she doesn't interact with Luke and Leia...hey this is LAME!"

Secondly...She is NOT A JEDI. And even if for some convoluted(and RETARDED IMO) reason she is found to have Jedi powers...she CERTAINLY wouldn't have honed them enough to appear as a spirit.

There won't be a holo of her. How the hell would that work? Again..no reaction from the kids.

The ONLY thing that could possibly work is flashabacks..but this too is stupid. There aren't any in SW. Never have been, it would interrupt the natural flow of the narration up to that point and would be IMO(and most likely the opinion of several others) a gratutious Natalie Portman insertion.

Plus, and this is more on a personal feelings note...I don't like the idea of drooling fanboys getting Padme shots in LEIA'S movie. I can see a PT reunion of completely overshadowing NOT only Leia, but Luke, Han ect...

She is a major player of the PT...she falls for Anakin, has his kids...then dies. But there is no need for her in the OT...just as there is no need for OT characters in the PT.

And don't give me..."She is more important..blah blah.." Other than squeezing the kids out..not really. Her purpose is finished. Luke and Leia are her extention into the OT. That should be enough.

2. GhenKitha

GhenKitha Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    There was way too many posts to read them all but this didn't seem to come up.

What about a scene where when Luke is brought to vader on Endor and after there talk and Luke is taken away, Vader is left alone just looking out, pondering his thoughts. What about him pulling out a hand held hologram of padme to add to his showing of his torn thoughts. It just wasn't the kids that brought him back it was his love for padme as well. I think he looks down on lukes saber as the movie stands now but that could be edited, I mean Vader a masked character so anyone could play vader in a scene where it is just him. And this scene seems to be the first sense we get that he's really contiplating things other then the Emperors suggestions.

Another possible way could be a new scnene where Vader is in his meditation chamber like in ESB and has a dream of Padme. But that would fall under a flashback and I don't see that happening.

3. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    An old "photo" that Vader looks at might work. But that could just be done by taken scenes from the PT.

BTW..I was at a TOTALLY different forum for another subject and they were discussing the possible changes to the OT. These are general fans now..not hardcore...general moviegoers that love Star wars...

100% are against Lucas changing anymore in the OT. Saying that he is messing with them enough.

So...this is how a group of general fans feel..I am sure they aren't alone. Going too far could be playing with fire.

4. luv-the-force

luv-the-force Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    I've seen a few people mention this in this thread & I'd like to address it as an aside to what we're actually talking about.

Regarding Leia saying that her mother died when she was young... Obviously, Leia believes this - and perhaps her mother did die. But remember - she also thinks that Bail is her father. What's to say that she is mistaken about who she thinks is her mother?

I think the reason that most people automatically assume that she is talking about Padme is due to the fact that she says she remembers her mother being sad. I don't think that's proof enough to assume that she is talking about Padme. To this point, we don't know whether Bail has a wife - but it's entirely possible that if he did, and were of the same political persuasion as he, she would be very sad given all that's going on in the galaxy.

Bottom line is that no one knows for sure who's she's talking about. I think it stands to reason that we shouldn't assume Leia is talking about Padme, though. We've got an entire movie left to go & I really suspect GL will throw us for a loop by the time it's all said & done.

It's late & I'm tired. Sorry if this made no sense :/

5. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I just fail to see the problem here. Think about it, we have all assumed that all Jedi disappear upon death. TPM proved to us that they do not with Qui-Gon. Nobody, Jedi or not, seemed surprised by this. I read somewhere that Anakin's act of murdering the Tusken Raiders caused the first physical manifestation of a deceased Jedi, being Qui-Gon Jinn (if this is mentioned in the novel, somebody please verify it). Suppose that the disappearing does have to do with being associalted with The Chosen One. That coupled with Anakin's belief that he can somehow stop people from dying points in the direction that those who mean the most to Anakin are the ones who manifest as spirits, thus allowing Padme to do so. George Lucas said that the prequels would change how we view the originals, and I trust that he knows what he is doing.

6. BannedJedi

BannedJedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2000
    i agree. but, what if lucas decides to replace the original anikan actor and sir alec guiness with hadyen chritisan and ewen mcgregor. that would really butcher the ot

7. Darth_Hater

Darth_Hater Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    Did that guy waaaaaaaaaaaay back on page two actually say that ROTJ was Richard Marquand's movie???????????????????????????

wow.

yeah i am sure George had nothing to do with it.

So the guy(Marquand) told Luke how to shake around in his X-wing; BIG FN DEAL! George Lucas CREATED Luke and X-wings.

8. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Lucas did say in an interview that retaining one's identity after death was something that Yoda taught to Obi-Wan. Whether this is still true or not is debatable.

What we do know is that Yoda was shocked to hear Qui-Gon's voice from beyond. We also know that Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin are all able to retain their identity after death. Perhaps this ability to retain one's identity and consciousness is related to being in tune with "the living Force?"

In Episode I, the other Jedi were all bound by their rules and traditions, and Qui-Gon was the one following a different "go with the flow" path that he seemed to call "the living Force." For Qui-Gon, it wasn't about the rules and traditions, but about feeling the Force. Perhaps he was more in tune with the Force than any of the other Jedi, who had long since lost the "correct" focus. It is this attunement that allows him to retain his consciousness after becoming one with the Force.

I do not think that it is too far-fetched to say that, within the mythos of the Star Wars universe, that all living beings become one with the Force upon death. Qui-Gon, Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin were able to retain their own consciousness after death.

Where am I going with this? Given Anakin's attunement to the Force, and his origin as being conceived by the midichlorians, then it is quite possible that Anakin is able to "manifest" Padme's consciousness from the "universal consciousness" of the Force.

Ideas?

9. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "Why don't we wait and see what it looks like before we make any judgment."

My sentiments exactly.

10. JediCouncilBoy4

JediCouncilBoy4 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Haven't been here for a while. I like the pic. on page 8. Thats pretty cool!

11. Sykus

Sykus Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 1999
    my post has probably been said word for word several times in this long thread, but i'm not gonna read it all :)

If this is true, I think it's the worst concept ever thought of by Lucas, and I say we petition for this NOT to happen.

I've also heard that Jar Jar will be inserted into A New Hope. He better come out with two versions, one regular version, and one "Kick me in the balls" version (title thanks to buds at Ars Technica)

12. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Well people it makes perfect sence to have Padme come back in ROTJ. Lets think about it for a minute. Now George Lucas has never had his movies explain why PEOPLE (not just Jedi) return from the grave. Now I think that the only logical place for Padme to come into would be the spirit scene. Or posibly an added scene at the end that will show Anakin and Padme together and end the movie that way. I honestly think that is how it is going to happen. IMO the ability to retain your identity comes from guiding the chosen one (Anakin) to fulfiling his destiny. And Padme married Anakin so it makes sence to have here come back at the end to make Star Wars truly end in a touching moment. I think he really should do it. And posibly as a hologram that Vader looks at. But if any I think it should be the first one I said.

13. darthleefox

darthleefox Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    ive heard a rumour from fan fiction so dont take it as real that there are going to be flashbacks of anakins past on the sceane where the empiror is killing luke basically we will see flashbacks 0f anakin saying one day i will learn to stop death, and a sceane of padme telling vader do the right thing. Just before he attacks the emporer Theres also a rumour that the sceane where luke gives vader the lightsabre will be put back in the film and when luke gets the sabre back his sabre will be red and vaders will be green. Just a couple of cool things that wouldent spoil the film.

14. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Sykus-

If you don't like the new versions, DON'T GO SEE THE MOVIES AGAIN!

All I know is that I'd pay to see Jar-Jar again as long as it's ANH on the big screen!

15. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    Whatever they do, I really hope that they DO NOT replace Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen.

If they do, then they may as well go back and replace Obi-Wan in the entire OT with Ewan wearing age makeup. Or better yet, when Jake Lloyd is 20, he can be digitally added to AOTC AND Ep III, then when he is 50-60, add him to the final scene of ROTJ. I mean, he had the part before Hayden, so it should be him, right.

16. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    Jar Jar in ANH??? How the HELL can this possibly work?

I think some of you are checking your logic at the door when you are discussing some of these crazy ideas.

You think it is possible to just insert random characters into the action with CGI and it will just flow seemlessly?

WRONG!

What you would have is Jar Jar blathering on in the background and nobody reacting to him in the least.

To say it would look funny is an understatement. The same with Padme

Jar Jar is so incredibly annoying a character(I'm not getting into the hate Jar Jar thing..it's just a fact, like 3P0) how can it be realistic to have the OT characters just ignore him. Remember they aren't as polite as the PT characters...Han, Leia, Chewie and even Luke would all probably want to beat him senseless.

I think the only thing would be to have Jar Jar on Alderaan when it goes BOOM. But..I dunno, he should die in III after being blamed for the Empire.

17. TK414

TK414 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    What jewlmc ^ said.

18. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    IMO Lucas is a genius, whatever he does will come out great.

Whoever came up with the idea for the Padme hologram, I really love that idea.

19. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    I assume the Jar Jar in ANH rumor is in conjunction with the Jimmy Smits in ANH rumor. Seeing his role in AOTC it would be easy to forsee him being thrown in the background or in a speaking role in the rumored ANH senate scenes with Jimmy Smits.

20. Telemachos

Telemachos Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    Dear God Almighty, I really hope we don't see Vader wandering around taking long lovesick glances at a damn hologram.

Ugh. For better or worse, Vader is the VILLAIN of the OT. I don't care if he's ultimately a tragic one or not, gratuitously inserting stuff like this (yes, it's ENTIRELY gratuitous) is pointless and detracts from the story at hand.

I'd rather have her appear as a ghost in the end, although I'd also prefer that there be some basic rationale for this (presumably Episode III).

21. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    Well if Natalie is being added in, she has absolutely no idea about it according to TF.N.

22. El-Elyon

El-Elyon Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    Y'all all be glad to hear that she has denied the rumours>> this thread can be closed>

23. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    she says "Thats new to me." or something like that... but anyways... I don't care if she's in it or not. nothing to be all excited about. :) but keep your ears and eyes open...cause you'll never know. ;)

24. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Hate to say I told ya so. No wait, I love it. :p

Padme as a ghost. You should all be ashamed. :p :p :p

25. Telemachos

Telemachos Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    Of course, I doubt Natalie realized that George was going to combine multiple takes of her TPM performance to tweak it juuuuust the way he wanted it.

I hope she's right, but you never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.