main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NOOOO!!!! heart sinks at EP VI rumor (spoiler?)...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dafttom, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    Anything Lucas does to enhance the OT and give a sense of continuity to the saga, I'm all for it.

I may be in the minority on this one but I've always disliked Sebastian Shaw in ROTJ. I'm hoping and praying Lucas digitally inserts Hayden into the death scene. I mean come on now, Shaw no more looks like Hayden then I do. 20 years does not give you a completely new face and accent.

2. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Actually inserting Hayden Christiansen may make sense because Anakin ceased to be when became darth vader the many years ago.

Padme as a ghost makes no sense, but a flashback could easily be inserted.

--Joey

3. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Well this is supposed to be like a big movie just one big movie, so tieing it in like this would be a good idea, gives the sense of continuity.

I'm all for it, if you don't like the idea, don't buy it.

4. Telemachos

Telemachos Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    Someone in another thread made a great analogy. Take another work of art -- a symphony, for example: Beethoven's Ninth.

Now, let's say Beethoven, 20 years after he composes his Ninth, comes back and says, "Hey, I'd like to change a few things around... it really needs to fit more with the style of my First Symphony" (note, I know that the Ninth was the last he composed; I'm just grabbing names from a hat here). Well, he's the author, fine, no problem. But, he also says he's wants to do a chunk of it with an electric guitar AND he refuses to allow the original to be sold anymore. Not only that, he pulls all original recordings off the market and says that the new recording is his original vision.

Back to George: what about cinema history? When people talk about SW in the future, how can they show it as the revolutionary piece of cinema that it was? "Yeah, check this out -- this changed movie-making". "Woah, isn't that a CG creature? And that scene looks awfully weird..." "Yeah, that was put in later...."

How ***king ridiculous is that?!

Damn, dude, put out the originals and mess with "Archival" editions all you want, and we'll love you for it.

("Archival" my ass. Thank God for laserdiscs).

5. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Is this thing on?

It's not true.

6. buckner1986

buckner1986 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 1999
    Yeah, how ridiculous is it to revise a great work of art, like Beethovens V, or say, Hamlet, could you imagine?

...well, in fact, the next edition of the Arden edition of Hamlet (considered to be the authoritative source) will provide three seperate texts, presenting a radical shift in thinking, demonstrating that Shakespeare actually revised the play from its initial performances to its 'archive edition,' so to speak.

Not that I'm comparing little Willie to the great George Lucas.
    (wink)

Shakespeare could have conceivably modified the play over time, from its initial hurried staging, to the author's feelings after seeing it performed and having a life of its own.

Take anything from Michaelangelo's The Last Judgement to The "Definitive" DVD for American Pie, and there's a wide array of possible alterations; a work of art need not be inert.

7. Darth_Rommel

Darth_Rommel Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I've read a lot of posts that say this are George Lucas's movies. There is no doubt that that statement is true. But in a sense, the movies also belong to the fans. For 25 years now, it has been the fans that have made the series what is has become. When Lucas tinkers with what we've all grown to love, we (most of us, anyway) get upset.

Now, I admit I was excited about seeing the SE's back in '97. After seeing them, I realized the additions were not what I expected and longed for the originals I grew up with.

So, here is how I feel about Lucas messing with the OT. I honestly don't care what he does to the OT. He can remake them if he wants to. I don't have to watch them.

BUT, the above statement is ONLY TRUE IF he puts the ORIGINAL movies, released in 1977, 1980 and 1983 on DVD. Preferably in widescreen with some 5.1 sound. Oh, and the cut scenes would be good, too. :D

If he does this (and we have NO idea if he will), then I believe that this will make a lot of his fans happy and will allow them to somewhat forgive his "butchering" of the OT.

Just my thoughts...

8. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    "Dear God Almighty, I really hope we don't see Vader wandering around taking long lovesick glances at a damn hologram. "

TELEMACHOS, I laughed out loud for five whole minutes when I read that!

PADME_BRA, Portman may have denied knowing about it, but the rumor had to have its origins somewhere. George Lucas may very well have plans to do this and Natalie has not actually been approached about it as of yet. If it is going to be done while filming Episode 3, there would be no need to actually hire her for it now!

9. Telemachos

Telemachos Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    Darth Jamus, glad to be of service. :D

buckner, I'm not saying that an artist doesn't have the right to modify his own work. As much as I think he's idiotic, Lucas can do whatever he wants.

I'm arguing from the perspective of a movie buff, of a cinema buff. I love film history -- how can such broadspread changes be reconsiled with the incredible reaction to the original films in the late '70s and early 80s? It's not simply that he's changing them, it's that he's refusing to allow the originals to be exhibited.

I suppose we should get all excited because Coppola is planning to add a big action scene to The Godfather? Oh wait, and let's insert Andy Garcia and Sophia Coppola into Godfather II to make sure it all fits, continuity-wise.

As a filmmaker, I understand the sentiment of wanting to tinker endlessly with your work, but there's something to be said about accepting a film's place in your career.

10. TK414

TK414 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    All valid points to be sure.

It is weird. This is GL's movie, he can do what he pleases with it. But at the same time, where will the ORIGINAL stand when the dust settles? If Lucas does not care, if the "Special Editions" are all that remain, then how will anyone ever be able to see the originals (warts and all) again?

When I do put on a Star Wars movie, I now almost always put the SE's on. However, there is and always should be a special place for the original editions. Some day those VHS tapes will all wear out, and where will we be? Bootleg copies? These original treasures should be immortalized in digital form in some way. This is called historical preservation.

In the end, MAKE MINE STAR WARS!

11. JediCouncilBoy4

JediCouncilBoy4 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Are there any deleted seens with Tarkin? Or with Max Rebo? And has this "rumer" yet been officialy announced?

12. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Portman may have denied knowing about it, but the rumor had to have its origins somewhere. George Lucas may very well have plans to do this and Natalie has not actually been approached about it as of yet"

Well what's more likely? That Lucas told enough people of his plans for it to get on the internet but failed to mention it to Portman, or that it's simply one of the first of hundreds of arroneous "Archive Edition" rumors to come across the pike in the next couple years. I'm voting the latter.

It's not going to happen, people. I've been a movie news geek long enough to know a fake rumor when I see it.

13. Jad12345678

Jad12345678 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    What about have her in hiding with the Gungan and have the spirt Obi-Wan tell Luke or somebody she is down there. Then go to Naboo and get her ,this would tie in Naboo in with the rest of the movies and Gungan world is animated so it would not require many actors they could even show Jar-Jar as the ruler of hte (the Gungans) if he doesn't die in EP3 but the only problem having these new scenes is that they would have to get some old actors back(either Luke,Han,or Leia but how to make it where they don't look old as dirt it would have to be Leia i believe she looks the youngest??

14. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    i Have for a long time feared this would happen... George Luca$$ will stop at nothing... sigh... If he does indeed decided to change ROTJ, he better make the ending better... DIE STUPID EWOKS!

15. DarklordVashna

DarklordVashna Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    Before I even heard about this rumor I'd wondered about the same thing. I think that three versions of ROTJ should be available, the original, the FIRST special edition, and the new special edition. Could they stick Padme in? Maybe as a "force ghost" at the end of the movie, and Qui Gon as well. BUT THAT'S IT...No ghostly Mace Windu, Sebulba, Watto, Jabba, or so on. I heard also that Padme might be featured as a photograph or holographic image that Vader is contemplating in ESB. I think it might help us to see into Vader's psyche, why he wouldn't just kill Luke, who could, now that he's been getting jedi training, become dangerous to Vader. Maybe Vader lets Leia and Luke live so that a bit of Padme lives on as well...

16. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm not the dedicated mod here, but we can probably close this. It's been proven false and all those who were proponents of Padme returning as a spirit should have disappeared and gotten new screen names by now. :p

17. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I want to see Vader choke the life out of Jar-Jar. That would be worth the price of admission alone.

18. han_and_leia_rule

han_and_leia_rule Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    Please, O Great Flannel One, stop "revising" your movies. We loved them as they were, not this SE BS you keep handing us. If you're going to do it anyway, at least release the OT in it's original form on DVD, so those of us who prefer the versions we grew up on can be happy once again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.