main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY NOOOOOO! It's Gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Drk Father1, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I know it was inevitable, but Attack of the clones is only playing at the Greentree 10! It's gone from Tinseltown and Stonybrook!

AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

It just doesn't seem right. It hasn't been long enough. (Sniff) Oh well. (Sniff-Sniff). Just have to wait for the DVD now.

2. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, a good thing can't last forever...but despair not young jedis for the dvd version will be out in time for thanksgiving, and if possible, we can get it even earlier if I still work at the video store at the time...possibly for a group screening a week or so early???
    Also, I do have it on VCD, not a very good copy, but I'm willing to share :)
    Just let me know who wants it.

Jim

3. tinkerwench

tinkerwench Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Make sure you guys thank me for dragging a video store guy to our meetings!
    *snerk*

4. historyfolks

historyfolks Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    hey folks, how about a DVD party at my house when it comes out. Have a nice size wide-screen tv with a nice surround system linked.
    Let's set the date and make it our "pre-holiday" blast!
    Bob

5. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    sounds like a good idea to me. now the hard part comes...the wait..hehehe!!!!

6. Bunny

Bunny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    :[face_sigh]: I feel really, really bad because I don't really care that it's gone from the cinema. I look up at my Arrival of the Bounty hunters poster and just sigh. I'm an Original Trilogy girl and not even the heterosexual love of my life (Ewan McGregor, whom I loved since *before* Trainspotting) can make me seriously enjoy the prequels. I'm naughty. And I hate Padme with a passion equal only to the intensity of a thousand white hot burning suns. ::ahem:: Yeah. :)

7. dholme

dholme Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2002
    I'm with you Bunny. Sorry everyone else, but Clones just is not aging well for me at all.

David

8. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Now in a way, I too feel the same way, but at the same time, I don't. I went and saw the movie 7 times within the first week of its opening, and every time, I was loving it. However, GL and crew seem to be catering to the younger crowd with every new SW movie he makes, and quite frankly, that aspect is annoying. I think he did a lot more catering to the fans this time around with young Boba Fett and the Yoda lightsaber fight, which I loved :)

Anyway, for whatever its worth, this new one ranks among the best of the series as a whole, never coming close to Sw and Empire, but overwhelming Jedi, but the plain simple fact of the matter is that nothing that he comes out with will ever, ever, make me feel like I did when I saw the first ones.

Just my 50 cents there...lol

Jim

9. bossknopp

bossknopp Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    I agree that AOTC comes in about third place behind Empire and ANH.But so much better than TPM.I really look forward to the dvd if for nothing else than deleted scenes.I think Lucas is trying too hard to fit everything in that fans want to see while diologue suffers.That was the best thing from the originals the story kept you glues plus Hans wicked sense of sarcasm could not be beat.It wasnt so serious and dry like the new ones.So now ya know.

10. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    I personally, rate all of the films as a whole. I have never really singled one out as "the best, worst, middle, etc". I am glad that the 3 years i had been waiting for has finally come and gone, on to the next! It does sadden me that there will only be one more left. I am hoping to see what will happen to Padme, I love the character, although Natalie's acting wasnt as good as it usually is in her other movies.But i am absolutely positve that it is because George is a terrible director (that is my personal opinion). I think he should just stick to writing and developing, rather then directing.
    Just my 4 cent. :)

11. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    Ah, bad acting and "Star Wars" movies go hand in hand. :)

The popular concensus seems to be that none of the new movies are as good as the old ones. I love reading that in the press, especially film critics. Like the guy in the L.A. Times who wrote that the new films don't capture the magic of the old ones, then you can go read his review of "The Empire Strikes Back" from 1980 and he's like, "This doesn't capture the magic of the first one." Now EMPIRE is widely accepted as the best of the originals, so he jumps on the bandwagon and writes that AOTC doesn't compare to EMPIRE. And I'm like, Dude, you TRASHED ESB in 1980. That's just one example, but I think it pretty much represents the way a lot of bad press for the prequels comes about.

I love SW, but, let's face it, the films (NONE of them) are anywhere near the list of the greatest films of all time. Bad acting and cheesy dialogue go hand-in-hand with a "Star Wars" movie. Frankly, it's part of the charm for me and I wouldn't want it any other way. When Natalie phones in her lines in AOTC, it just makes me think of "I know...somehow, I've always known." When Hayden says, "It's worse...he's overly critical..." it makes me think of "but I was going into Toshi station to pick up some power converters!" Despite that kind of stuff I still enjoy all of them for the overall story they tell and the great villains (SW almost corners the market on cool movie villains, have you noticed?).

At the Chicago con this year Stan Winston gave a presentation on what he's been up to, and he said that, in his opinion, the expanded use of blue screen makes it harder and harder for actors to give convincing performances. He said that regardless of what you think of the film, when you see Tea Leoni screaming her lungs out when the spinosaurus is attacking the plane in "Jurassic Park III," she's not acting, because she's really there, with the set and that creature, and it's easier to act to (with). Then you do something like the arena scene in AOTC, and here are three deadly creatures coming at the heroes, and the performances don't really spark because filming consisted of pretty much just the actors and the poles they were chained to against a bluescreen. I'm a big advocate of digital technology, but I kind of had to agree with him on that. Would you rather have cooler-looking special effects, or better performances by the actors? I'm not sure, myself.

In CLONES, Anakin says, "If you are suffering as much as I am please say something," and I'm forced to mutter, "Buddy, *I'M* suffering through this scene, I'll tell you that." But I take that going in when "Star Wars" is on the marquee. If you want Oscar-caliber dialogue or performances, see something else. "Star Wars" is the greatest "popcorn movie" of all time, cheesy acting and all. I wouldn't have it any other way.

-John

12. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    I have to agree with John. You have to accept Star Wars for what it is, not what it could be.

You also have to realize George Lucas' influences. Has anyone watched the old Flash Gordan serials?

Personally, I've loved all the Star Wars movies, bad acting and all. The only one I can really rank is ANH, which is my favorite, only because it was the first!

And Bob, I'd LOVE to have a big screen party!

13. Bunny

May 24, 2002
    I think it bothers me so much because I'm a writer and I know that the prequels could be SO much better. It's very possible to have serious drama and smart humour for all ages without insulting the audience with banal dialogue and a lackluster story. George Lucas's sad devotion to CG and blue screen is a hindrance to good filmaking. Star Wars has the possibility to be a FILM and not just a movie.
    Star Wars is fun, but with the original trilogy there was a pretty good, albeit tired, storyline. The dialogue had it's cheesy moments but it was charming and added to the overall effect whereas in the prequels the story is uninspiring and flat (not unlike bad fanfiction), and the corny dialogue is distracting and annoying.
    Return of the Jedi was the thorn in the OT, but the story was still decent until the ending when everything falls apart and feels rushed. The Phantom Menace is just plain boring for me. The dialogue is dead, the story is... well, there isn't much story at all. It's dry and emotionless. It lacks the spirit and heart of the OT. I've heard George Lucas say that the movies have to be viewed as a whole in order for them to be good and that makes my blood boil because a film shouldn't have to be propped up with subsequent features to be enjoyable.
    I suppose that's more than my two credits. LOL

14. Darthcrawford02

Darthcrawford02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    The best thing about the star wars movies for me is it's since of escapism. You know going to a galaxy far, far away for two hours. You don't have to think about the real world for awhile. You see a lot of neat special effects and a movie that is pretty light in its content, but still has a theme to the movies, in the end good always wins. Just think it has been 25 years since the first movie came out and people still love it.There must be something special about it. I kind of look at as an Wizard of OZ for our generation. I am a little disapointed that Attack of the Clones is gone from most of the major theathers, but the talk of the DVD coming out before the holidays gives me something to look forward to. I will always be huge Star Wars fan. Well that's my two cents.

15. historyfolks

Apr 28, 2002
    Drk & Zam, I agree with your assessment. This dialogue is starting to sound like a bunch of Civil War reenactors debating the "lack of authenticity" in a new film on the Civil War. Just enjoy it folks. You should see how my 9 year old son Sam has reacted with Phantom and Clones. He absolutely loves them! I bet it's lots like you folks were years ago with the trilogy.
    Have fun with them.

16. historyfolks

Apr 28, 2002
    and folks, the Greentree 10 is only across the bridge. It's not gone.

17. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    I was 4 when ANH came out, and I was 10 when I saw ROTJ. Star Wars has pretty much ALWAYS been targeted at kids. Lucas has never been the kind of film maker that appeals to adults. (Remember Howard the Duck and the Ewok movies?) Lucas is really more of a cinematographer and an editor. Personally I love the blue/green screen work and the effects. Its what I expect out of a Star Wars movie. Imagine what the original trilogy would have looked like if he had the technology then that he has now.

I don't expect a Schindler's List or the Seven Samurai when I go to see a Star Wars movie...if I did, then I would be disappointed. I just expect to be entertained with plenty of eye candy, lots of action, and the thrill of being a kid again! Sure they COULD be written better, or have better dialogue, but then they wouldn't be Star Wars anymore.

Besides, Lucas isn't really a writer either, he didn't even write the novelization for A New Hope, it was ghost written by someone else! (Brian Daley I think?)

18. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    I agree with you Phil. It is like being a kid again when I watch the OT.....I have such great memories of it, and I tend to cling to it with an emotional bond that cant be unhinged . I realize lately that is why I am so into collecting 80's toys and everything otherwlse. I am still stuck in my childhood. I still LOVE corey feldman (dont laugh ;) ) and the awesome stuff that came out of it. I realize that Star Wars is one thing that keeps me going. Like Crawford said, it is an escape into a fantasy world, and getting to know the Skywalker family has made me feel like I am kinda part of them. It is like watching a soap opera from outer space hehe....I love it, and I always will. No matter what, they (all the films) are going to be a part of my heart. (that sounds like a love poem or sumthin hehe ) :D

19. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Corey Feldman? (Hee).

I know what you mean. Sometimes I miss being a kid, I never realized how good I had it! Ahhhhh, the age of innocence....

20. Bunny

May 24, 2002
    Star Wars is an escape, and don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan (you should see my bedroom - I have Star Wars bed sheets for pity's sake), but my criticism isn't meant as a slander. The original trilogy was full of adventure, fun, serious drama, the occasional cheesy yet charming bit of dialogue, but more importantly it had a good story. My complaint with the prequels isn't the acting or the computer effects or even the atrocious script, it's with the story, or the lack thereof. As a child the driving point for me with the OT was the story that was being woven before my eyes, a good versus evil space soap opera. The story was so good that nothing else mattered. It's the opposite for me with the prequels. I know that the reason it bothers me more than most is because I'm a writer and I see every lame, boring plot point. It's like trying to get a doctor to watch E.R. and not think in medical terms. LOL
    There is nothing wrong with it being aimed at children and the young at hearts, but the story shouldn't have to suffer for that. While on the better hand, Harry Potter. Harry Potter is written for children and yet it's smart, it's well written, it's got humour, drama, the occasional bad line, and the basic 'hero's journey' plot that Star Wars has. In the way the prequels have disappointed me, Harry Potter has excited me. I get the same sense of fun and adventure that I did with the OT.
    This is where you all find out that I'm just a snob. Even as a child I had a high IQ and sense of snobbery. I would roll my eyes and turn up my nose at things that most people enjoyed because I found them trite (and yes, I did use that word when I was 7).
    I can't believe that I'm apologising for my opinions but I don't want everyone to say, 'man, Bunny's a b*tch.' :)

21. tinkerwench

tinkerwench Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Well - I love you anyway Bunny!

I'm a big fan of what I call "BAD" movies. Such as...The Tremors Series and Earth Girls are Easy.

I'm almost ready to put the Star Wars films into that category.

Fun Campy and totally cheeseball sometimes. I agree with Bunny on her evaluation of the scripting of the first film - the second was better directed.

BUT

Who cares! THey're fun and you can escape to that galaxy far far away. And that's what movies were meant to do in the first place.

22. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I guess what you call lack of story I see as the rise of the Emperor, which, as my second favorite character in the saga, has always been something I've wanted to see. If there are things that are left unexplained or don't make much sense for now, I just take it on faith. I guess I'm just more open to the "all six compose one film" line.

But if things aren't resolved and showed to my satisfaction after the third (and final) film is released, I'll be the first one to say, "Man, what a disappointment."

I loved HP too. After hours of trying I still can't explain to any of my friends why I'd rather watch HP more the third time than LOTR the first time. The Harryverse was just more appealing to me, personally, than Middle Earth was. They're like, "But man! It's Tolkien! It's Lord of the Rings!" and I'm just like, "Silence, Muggles."

And Tink mentioned "Tremors," which I also love. STAMPEDE!!!!!

-John

23. Darthcrawford02

Darthcrawford02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    To me both the orignal triology and the new triology are both magical to me. I loved all five movies, yes even the Phantom Menace. I know I had trouble sleeping back in 99 the night before it came out, and I was 26 then. I took the entire week off from work just to celebrate. This time I took two days from work and still Celebrated. To me the Star Wars saga has some sort of charm with it I can't exactly put me finger on it. I enjoy watching these movies over and over and over again. I can not do that with all of the other so called great movies. Yes, I did enjoy movies like Philadelphia, Gone With the Wind, ect. but I have no desire to watch them over and over again, Like I do for the Star Wars Saga. I do get the plot for all the movies and now I am seeing how they all tie in together. Stars Wars forever!! My favorite 5 movies of all time.

24. Darth_Askew

Darth_Askew Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    Tremors does indeed rule!

Also, AOTC will soon be at the $1 movies I'm sure, for those of us who don't want to cross the river to see it, but still want to see it on the big screen again.

25. oggiebendoggie2001

oggiebendoggie2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    All this talk of reminiscing of childhood reminds me of a line in the Everclear song, "Wonderful" - "I want the things that I had before, like a Star Wars poster on my bedroom door." Of course, I essentially still have that... ;)

I think Star Wars appealed to me on many different levels. One of the most powerful was the strong identification I had with Luke. Like Luke in the first film, I never knew my father. I was always told about him, but it's not the same as knowing him. Of course, unlike Luke, I didn't grow up to learn that he's really one of the universe's most hideous villains. Nevertheless, the parallel was there.

I also had (still have) the "hero complex" Luke had. Always restless, looking to the future, the horizon, never focusing on where I was, what I was doing. I took Yoda's words to Luke to heart. Even to this day, whenever I find myself giving up in frustration and mumbling "I don't believe it," I hear that little voice saying "That is why you fail."

Anyway, before I get too far into that tangent, I guess I can sum up by saying that the reason Star Wars as a whole appeals to me is because I've always been able to find some aspect of it that I can identify with personally, and take something away from it that gives me a new perspective on the world around me. Or reminds me of something that I've always known, but forgotten along the way.

Do I think they're the best films ever made? Well, that depends. It's kinda like comparing apples to oranges in a lot of ways. Braveheart was one of my all time favorite films, and it won an Oscar for Best Picture. Frankly, I don't ever see that happening with a Star Wars film. Does that diminish what makes them special? Absolutely not. So, I guess they are some of the best films ever made, "from a certain point of view." :) I take the good with the bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.